Click Here!

Can anyone give tips on correctly writing points of views?

ShadowsPale

I am writing a fic where I thought I had all the rules concerning multiple POV within a single chapter down pat. However, after letting two friends of mine read what I have written so far, I am now every confused as what is the proper way to do it. Since neither write any kind of story but are both quite intelligent; I am at a loss on what to do.

The first one said the proper way would be two section the responses such as writing the first person, then the next and so on.

The second said each chapter should be written from one point of view only.

This leaves me floundering as I am neither writing one scene multiple times within a single chapter which just doesn't seem right as it makes each chapter repetitive or I am left wondering how to show the thoughts and emotions of the characters past the first.

All I know at this point is that maybe I have been writing things in an entirely incorrect way which has me hesitant to continue writing.

Why don't you stick to Third Person's? You don't have to repeatedly switch POVs, which I know irritates a lot of readers, and you can express the feelings and thoughts of every character however you wish. It's a simple switch from "I" to "he/she". That's just my input.

In any case, if you want to keep the POVs you have now, make sure they don't switch every time after two pages. Keep it balanced and spread apart.

I wanted to read your story to give you more worthwhile advice, but I couldn't find it on your profile, so this is all I got. Hope it helps.

Why don't you stick to Third Person's? You don't have to repeatedly switch POVs, which I know irritates a lot of readers, and you can express the feelings and thoughts of every character however you wish. It's a simple switch from "I" to "he/she". That's just my input.

In any case, if you want to keep the POVs you have now, make sure they don't switch every time after two pages. Keep it balanced and spread apart.

I wanted to read your story to give you more worthwhile advice, but I couldn't find it on your profile, so this is all I got. Hope it helps.

Yes it does. That is what I was doing and then the comments were made which lead to me being so very confused. I simply could not wrap my mind around how they were telling me to do things. If I can ever figure out how to access my account, the first chapter will be posted. It is all about Harry Potter and completely G rated at the moment if you care to read it. Thank you!

Yes it does. That is what I was doing and then the comments were made which lead to me being so very confused. I simply could not wrap my mind around how they were telling me to do things. If I can ever figure out how to access my account, the first chapter will be posted. It is all about Harry Potter and completely G rated at the moment if you care to read it. Thank you!

I've gotten reviews telling me what to do before, which annoyed me. There's a difference between giving someone advice and demanding them to do something. You shouldn't ever have to adjust to such comments, especially if it goes against your story ideas. Quality, quantity, this can all be judged, but never style. Everybody has a unique style of writing, and this shouldn't be questioned.

Anyway, whenever you do get around to posting it, I'll gladly read it!

The only problems I have reading multiple POVs is when it's not crystal clear whose POV that part is coming from. I think if you make your transitions obvious, there shouldn't be a problem. Switching too often can be a bit dizzying, but sometimes that can be a good effect too.

Don't be discouraged; if you enjoyed writing it, someone will enjoy reading!

There IS no hard and fast rule. Some authors stick to one Point of view per chapter, or per book, or per scene. Some change within a scene. And this is published authors, mind you.

Best advice I've heard on this subject, I thought, was this: whenever the point of view changes, if the reader has no trouble at all following along, and the changes add to the story, then you're doing it right. :-)

Even in third person, you have point of view issues. If you're writing a mystery or a caper, you're going to want to hide things from the reader. So even in 3rd, you need to stick mostly to what one or two people see or hear. I like to center my narrative on one character most of the time. Other characters leave the room and we don't find out what they did until they come back or someone else reports.

I think Gene Wolfe gives excellent advice for this. Know who's telling the story. It doesn't have to be a 1st person narrator, and you don't have to make it explicit in the story. But if you have a firm idea, if this is an eyewitness account, or 'as my grandfather told me,' or if several accounts are collected and combined. This will help you craft what the narrator knows, how and when he knows it.

But as mentioned above, it's important to let the reader know who the POV is. A clean break between chappies can be used for the passage of time or the handing of the torch.

There's a lot of different ways to do point of view.

First person point of view is where you are writing from the perspective of one individual, in their voice ('I' language). If you are switching between two or more peoples' points of view, you'll need to clearly indicate who is speaking when. Generally if you're writing this kind of point of view, it is better to stick to just one point of view, because switching around is cumbersome. If you do decide to switch, try to keep it to a minimum, with a lot of text between switches, to avoid jarring your reader too much with a lot of back and forth.

Second person point of view is using 'you' language (think Choose Your Own Adventure style). It is very difficult to write, and even harder to do well. My advice to most writers would be to avoid using second person if at all possible. It can be triggering for readers, especially with certain content.

Third person point of view is by far the most commonly seen point of view in published works. This is using 'he/she/they' language, and comes in several flavours:

Third person omniscient - The point of view is not specific to an individual, but rather sees the thoughts, feelings, and reactions of all characters. The point of view knows all and sees all. Multiple points of view come together seamlessly.

Third person point of view - The point of view is still presented in third person, but focuses on the feelings, thoughts, and reactions of specific characters. The reader gets to see what a specific character knows, and what that character sees, but doesn't get to see the inner workings of other characters. This may stay constant to one character throughout the story, or it may switch around between characters for varying lengths of time.

There is also third person perspective that is not written from a point of view - IE, it is objective, with no insight into character thoughts and feelings. This can again follow a specific individual or be omniscient.

I hope this helps.

Hey there,

I've only read your 1st post. But from your concerns posted there... Here's my 2 cents worth (hope ya don't mind the... rant...)

Writing in the character's POV (meaning 1st person POV) is an interesting thing, especially if you do it right.

Honestly, I don't think there are any rules to this. As long as your reader understands what you are writing, then it's fine, regardless what approach or style you choose to use.

From what your 'first person' and 'second person' said. I can understand what they mean. Both of them can be right. But in the end, its up to you and how you feel your story should proceed.

Example: If you want the whole chapter to be exclusively for one person only POV, then plan it in a way whereby it won't be 'boring'. Have different scenes (like change scene). Or don't make the chapter too long.

This style would be good, if that chapter is concentrating on one character only (mainly the character doing the 1stperson POV), and if it's a chapter that delves more into thoughts and feelings.

If, like say, the scene has two characters in it. Then one chapter you do in personA POV, then the next chapter in personB POV, yeah, the repetition might get.... irritating.

You gotta see. sometimes it's good to do this. and other times you just shouldn't repeat.

And say. if in a single chapter, (which has many scenes), it would be perfectly normal if you feel like you want to switch the 1stperson POV. Just separate with line breaks and things like that.

I understand how, certain scenes are better to be in personA POV instead of personB. so go with the flow of your plot and characters.

I hope you are getting me so far? Gosh, I hope I wasn't confusing (or annoying =X )

So yeah. to end it.

I think you feel that "maybe I have been writing things in an entirely incorrect way which has me hesitant to continue writing" because... You have been too bothered about rules and stuff like that.

Try ignore the rules, and just go with your flow. If you feel like the next scene would suit another character better, then switch to his POV. and switch back if you want.

But of cause. too constant the switches, and readers might get annoyed... I don't know. it all simply depends on how you handle your words. Anything is possible really *shrugs* There are no real rules in writing.

It's not like you are writing a school report, or a university thesis.

It's the authors wish how they want to portray their book / writing. I'm sure you have the basics down (y'know, like .i. introduction .ii. development .ii. climax etc etc... and you should know your grammar and vocab, stuff like that) Other than that, its up to your imagination really. *shrugs*

Just try out your style, and post it up here on aff, to see how people like it.

Yeah. That's all.

SORRY IF THIS WAS TOO LENGTHY!!!! *bows*

btw. errihu's advice is really educational.

and twistedhilarity, Tempestuous is damned sound.

Edited by nekoii

• 4 weeks later...
Hey there,

I've only read your 1st post. But from your concerns posted there... Here's my 2 cents worth (hope ya don't mind the... rant...)

Writing in the character's POV (meaning 1st person POV) is an interesting thing, especially if you do it right.

Honestly, I don't think there are any rules to this. As long as your reader understands what you are writing, then it's fine, regardless what approach or style you choose to use.

From what your 'first person' and 'second person' said. I can understand what they mean. Both of them can be right. But in the end, its up to you and how you feel your story should proceed.

Example: If you want the whole chapter to be exclusively for one person only POV, then plan it in a way whereby it won't be 'boring'. Have different scenes (like change scene). Or don't make the chapter too long.

This style would be good, if that chapter is concentrating on one character only (mainly the character doing the 1stperson POV), and if it's a chapter that delves more into thoughts and feelings.

If, like say, the scene has two characters in it. Then one chapter you do in personA POV, then the next chapter in personB POV, yeah, the repetition might get.... irritating.

You gotta see. sometimes it's good to do this. and other times you just shouldn't repeat.

And say. if in a single chapter, (which has many scenes), it would be perfectly normal if you feel like you want to switch the 1stperson POV. Just separate with line breaks and things like that.

I understand how, certain scenes are better to be in personA POV instead of personB. so go with the flow of your plot and characters.

I hope you are getting me so far? Gosh, I hope I wasn't confusing (or annoying =X )

So yeah. to end it.

I think you feel that "maybe I have been writing things in an entirely incorrect way which has me hesitant to continue writing" because... You have been too bothered about rules and stuff like that.

Try ignore the rules, and just go with your flow. If you feel like the next scene would suit another character better, then switch to his POV. and switch back if you want.

But of cause. too constant the switches, and readers might get annoyed... I don't know. it all simply depends on how you handle your words. Anything is possible really *shrugs* There are no real rules in writing.

It's not like you are writing a school report, or a university thesis.

It's the authors wish how they want to portray their book / writing. I'm sure you have the basics down (y'know, like .i. introduction .ii. development .ii. climax etc etc... and you should know your grammar and vocab, stuff like that) Other than that, its up to your imagination really. *shrugs*

Just try out your style, and post it up here on aff, to see how people like it.

Yeah. That's all.

SORRY IF THIS WAS TOO LENGTHY!!!! *bows*

btw. errihu's advice is really educational.

and twistedhilarity, Tempestuous is damned sound.

Wow, I need to check back on old posts more often. I glad I checked back here because I have been given much to think about. Thank you all for replying and clarifying points I wasn't clear on.