Click Here!

Help with a main plot theme.

WillowDarkling

Hey, everyone.

I've been here for only a month, and I'm not really an active poster, but I've been on AFF for nearly two years.

I tend to write in spurts, i.e. I write constantly for a week or a month, and then get stuck for weeks or months at a time.

But, anywho...now I want to ask all of you for a little help.

Hoping that there are some science geeks out there that might find this a fun challenge, :)

So, here goes.

I've been creating this fantasy novel for the past fourteen years, (yes, I said 14).

It all started as just one character, but now it's grown into ten characters, four supporting characters, and dozens of extras.

And one world! :unsure: It sort of took on a life of its own...

So what I need help with is this:

A major plot element in the story, is a race known as the Aaenda. They are sort of like demigods.

They are seven, and each of them controls one of the elements, (earth, air, fire, water) and the fifth element (spirit) is divided between the remaining three.

Their powers are bound in these disks (one for each element), that have been broken into three pieces each, and therefore the Aaenda don't have their full power.

Once the disks are put back together the Aaenda regain their full power. (i.e. if the disk of Water is put together, the Aaenda who controls water, regains her full strength)

Spirit is divided between three people because when all three aspects are combined they make a whole person. And also because all three aspects are never purely evil or purely good, and can always be persuaded either way.

So, each disk is split into three pieces, each representing one aspect of the element.

But since only Water has three aspects, I need some help with the other elements.

If anyone here is willing to help, I'd so greatly love the advice.

The list that I have is as follows: (as pointed out below, by Clover Reef, I need help completing this list, and I'm looking for any sort of input on what sounds good/makes any sort of sense)

EARTH

gas:

liquid:

solid: >earth >>bedrock, crystals

AIR

gas: >air

liquid:

solid:

FIRE

gas: >>flames (according to Canterro)

liquid: >>lava

solid:

WATER

gas: >steam

liquid: >water

solid: >ice

SPIRIT

gas: >soul

liquid: >heart

solid: >mind

So, if anyone has any ides, or wants to discuss this, I'd love the feedback.

And I promise, that anyone who gives me solid, well thought out ideas, and helps me make this happen...

I will write down your screen name and give you acknowledgments if and when my novel is published. That's a promise.

Thanks all of you, WillowDarkling.

Edited by WillowDarkling

It seems like an awesome, well thought out world you got. Although I'm not entirely clear on where you need the help. You mean with completing the list?

I think Fire's a gas... maybe? lol, and as a solid, would lava work?

Earth as a liquid could be mud, but then again, that's combined with water so maybe that doesn't work. For the gas, maybe one of the gases that are released from inside the Earth, like Carbon dioxide, Sulphur dioxide, and Hydrochloride... Ohh, oh! What about Acid for a liquid?

Anyway I really have no idea about air as a solid or a liquid, sorry!

Brilliant ideas both of them...

Canterro

Thank you so much.

Figures that I had never thought about stuff like bedrock or crystals as solid earth... it makes perfect sense.

Oil and gasses are really cool too. Does anyone know, tar is a natural occurrence isn't it? I mean, like the tar pits in the U.S.?

And what kinds of deadly gasses occur naturally?

Honestly, I stick with the three division because I couldn't think of anything smarter... :unsure:

It also seemed like a logical division, because of the fifth element.

Clover Reef.

Thank you so much, as well. And yes, I'm looking for input to complete the list, and to get ideas what others think makes sense.

Thanks for your ideas, they're smarter than most of what I've come up with.

Do you know of any kinds of acid that occur naturally?

Darn it, I foresee a long Sunday on a well known informations site... <_<

I know, solid air!! Come on... I'm pretty sure I'm a bit more crazy than I thought :huh:

Thanks again, both of you... and please keep the ideas coming...

Brilliant ideas both of them...

Canterro

Thank you so much.

Figures that I had never thought about stuff like bedrock or crystals as solid earth... it makes perfect sense.

Oil and gasses are really cool too. Does anyone know, tar is a natural occurrence isn't it? I mean, like the tar pits in the U.S.?

And what kinds of deadly gasses occur naturally?

Honestly, I stick with the three division because I couldn't think of anything smarter... :unsure:

It also seemed like a logical division, because of the fifth element.

Clover Reef.

Thank you so much, as well. And yes, I'm looking for input to complete the list, and to get ideas what others think makes sense.

Thanks for your ideas, they're smarter than most of what I've come up with.

Do you know of any kinds of acid that occur naturally?

Darn it, I foresee a long Sunday on a well known informations site... <_<

I know, solid air!! Come on... I'm pretty sure I'm a bit more crazy than I thought :huh:

Thanks again, both of you... and please keep the ideas coming...

Hm, yes I'm pretty sure tar happens naturally. Google says its composed of hydrogenated polycyclic, whatever that means. Anyway, acids that occur naturally... I can only think of acids in food. Citrus, amino, that kinda thing. Surely there should be more dramatic acids, but I can`t think of any. You could always make it up on a grander scale!

I had something more to say, but I totally forgot... Ah, c'est la vie...