Click Here!

She tilled into the soil - growing lettuce!

My mom and I have raised garden beds, which we had three of the five beds tilled and then we planted tomatos and lettuce and other herbs in one bed.

Well, today our girl who does our house went to the garden to till the two beds that was untilled for us. She had the mantis tiller. I was there looking at our one inch tall lettuce in our far bed and headed to do the horses and went inside. Never once saying anything because we assumed she remembered that she had tilled that bed before we planted it.

I was in the bathroom when this happened. I heard the tiller going again after a few minutes pause. I finished up and headed to the window and I heard the tiller going but she was missing which meant only one thing - the lettuces were being tilled in. I went racing outside yelling for her to stop but it was too late. Everything was tilled under.

And we had started off so late this year and now this! It will be summer by the time we get any lettuces up! Within two weeks from now, we would have been feasting on home grown lettuces!

But not now! And all of our hard work in planting the seeds and coaxing them to grow has taken us back to bloody square one. We're planting our second set of seeds which we would have done when this set of seeds finished with their growth.

I think the next time we do something like this, I'm going to get a marker for the lettuces up so this doesn't happen again. We thought she would ask us if we wanted that last bed tilled before doing that. But she didn't and we're now back to square one.

Beth