Click Here!

Strange Symbols are invading my life...

Guest lucretziathevagabond

Hello everyone,

I am a fanfiction writer (HP) who moved over from fanfiction.net as I realized my story lines were not... appropriate for minors.

At any rate, when I posted my first chapter here, these symbols took the place of my apostrophes and quotation marks. I have never posted somewhere where I have to code anything; so if someone could tell me how to fix it, I would appreciate it. I went to the help section or whatever it is, but it didn't address my needs for the specific punctuation marks.

Thanks, Jo (LV)

That can happen sometimes when one goes from a non-HTML based writing to an HTML scripting.

If you actually copy your work from what ever program you use, into a notepad, then save as TXT it should eliminate the need for HTML scripting of ' and ", assuming you posted on AFF.

The downside is, you might need to go and find every bold, underline, and italic, and paragraph and add in the codes.

Hope this helped, if not, sorry.

I'd be happy to code it for you if you are having problems yourself.

I upload my chapters. I have word and when I'm done I save as webpage. That way any italics and other things I put it I don't have to do any coding for. When you change the file format it does it all for you.

The problem with using word to save as a webpage, is that it adds loads of formatting tags that are not allowed. So, good idea to do it, but you still have to go into notepad and strip it out.

Could you give me a link so I can see what characters you're talking about?

The problem with using word to save as a webpage, is that it adds loads of formatting tags that are not allowed. So, good idea to do it, but you still have to go into notepad and strip it out.

Sure. My fiction is called Last Exit to Eden. Here's the aff.net link:

Last Exit to Eden-the alien edition

Thanks

Jo

I wrote it in English on Microsoft Word for Mac. I have it saved on a cd-rom in .doc form, and opened the chapter onto my desktop and added all the tags, then saved it to the desktop as a txt file.

Thanks for fixing it; just let me know how to do so in the future.

Thanks.

Jo

oh it was an easy fix. If you run into this again, copy the data into a plain text editor. Select the oddball characters, and then do a search and replace with the correct one. After you're done making your edits, copy/paste it back into the text field and save your changes.

Did you have some kind of oddball font in use for the document maybe? I'm STILL trying to figure out how exactly you got the diacriticals in there without deliberately inserting them. Did you try and upload it as a document, which isn't allowed (and it won't accept), or as an html file? If you did it as an html conversion from a word document, that is very likely where those characters came from.

I find it easier to code by hand because you go get all those little tags it doesn't like, too.

Either way no way seems too perfect and you have to go through the story.

...coding by hand also lends me yet another proof-reading, lol. :o

• 8 months later...

OK, I've had this problem on other sites along with the issue of the formating stripping out all spaces and punctuation in the story (ergh) and I can safely tell you it's a microshit problem to do with one of their updates for office. There is a very easy solution for this....

for an existing document you need to open it in notepad then save it as a text. Once that is done open in it Word then put the formatting back in then save it as a .doc file. Close it wait a minute or so or clean out your temp files then open it again. When you open it again save it in HTML format. That should eliminate the problem.

For a new document...

save it as a .doc then close it

wait a minute or so

then open it again

save it as an HTLM

close it

that SHOULD fix the problem and it should upload with no clitches

you should be good to go then. This is how I do it and it seems to save the trouble for my end

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.