Click Here!

Narrative/first person POV issues

taziekins

Hey guys, I'll try to keep this brief and make sense - bear with me!

So, I'm writing my first original piece after years of fanfiction, and apart from being my own worst critic, I more or less know where I'm gonig with it. My main problem that I've perceived so far is that I'm writing from the main character's POV and I'm having trouble with past/present/future tense inconsistancies.

Sometimes when I switch from unfolding plotline, to her internal thought processes, I'm not sure if she should be thinking in present or past tense.

Example:

I write: I sighed again, there are nights when I seriously believe I'm the most pathetic blood-sucking fiend of the night that ever lived.

Depending on how I squint, cock my head sideways and glare at it, I sometimes think it's OK, but sometimes I think I've spliced past and present tense togother, and came out with something that makes no sense at all.

Is this my own paranoia / lack of confidence in my writing, or do I have a genuine problem?

Edited by taziekins

Depending on how I squint, cock my head sideways and glare at it, I sometimes think it's OK, but sometimes I think I've spliced past and present tense togother,
You need to have a clear idea of where she is when she's saying this. Writing in a journal, talking to a friend, whatever. And next day, a year later, an afterlife review of the life, etc.

That would give you a better grasp on how she's going to be referring to stuff in the past, her thoughts at the moment, her plans for the future.

Memoirs are going to mix past and present text anyway. As long as it makes sense, then worrying about mixing tenses isn't so big a deal.

You need to have a clear idea of where she is when she's saying this. Writing in a journal, talking to a friend, whatever. And next day, a year later, an afterlife review of the life, etc.

That would give you a better grasp on how she's going to be referring to stuff in the past, her thoughts at the moment, her plans for the future.

Memoirs are going to mix past and present text anyway. As long as it makes sense, then worrying about mixing tenses isn't so big a deal.

QFE

Context makes the difference when it comes to tense. Maybe you should consider getting a beta if you really aren't sure about the proper verb usage.