Click Here!

Limit titles

vinsmouse

With the recent posts being made by one or more persons, in which they are posting one story hundreds of times in a category. Often one which isn't event he correct category. Presumbably this is being done just to be obnoxious, it's working. :P I wonder if one part of the solution to this problem mightn't be to add code, if possible, which would only allow an author to post a story title once in a category. For instance, if I want to post a story called Flaming Desire in Harry Potter, I can only post that title once in Harry Potter. I could however write another story with the same title in a different category. This way at least if somebody wants to play this game again they would have to work harder at it and maybe it would serve to discourage them some. Of course, I understand that this may not be feasible. Take care,

Mouse

P.S. If I knew how to write code I would gladly offer to help.

hey mouse,

The offer of help is much appreciated. What we've been looking at as a stop gap is a way to incorporate recaptcha into the archive. It was the primary reason for this last forum upgrade, which as I'm sure you've seen, stopped the automated spam bots. That will at least stop the review bombs.

One of the nice things about this program, is that for the new stuff in progress, it can easily be incorporated to where the autohidden emails can be seen, if the user is logged in, and proves they're human by using it.

The problem is how to incorporate it without crashing the pre-existing stuff. That we do not want to do. It looks like it should be fairly straightforward. At least I'm hoping so. Of course, we will test it out first, before actually deploying it archive wide. The biggest sticking point though is code variance, as the archive is written mostly in php3, and a good part php2, with SOME php4 (those are later additions to improve the useability). The query structure is very very different, hence the time in reworking and just overall writing it new. We're pretty much starting from scratch on the code, with a pre exisiting dataset.

NO NO

I cleaned up a review bomb attack. We have not yet implemented this tool, as we are making certain it won't make the old code inoperative. As soon as we do, I'll ask for guinea pigs.

This tool IS implemented in the forum, and the forum ONLY at this point in time.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.