Click Here!

Evil Reviews and Frustration

TheBlackadder

Okay,

Usually I can take reviews in stride and the really . . . condescending ones in stride, but here's my current problem.

A story I have written, is apparently being read only by people who can't understand that even though it's a semi-historical piece (Set a couple centuries ago) It is based on a FICTIONAL story (P.O.T.C.) and not going for historical accuracy. I thought, that in the course of writing the story, I was able to set the perimeters for what is considered acceptable, in my story line, and what is not. The language I realize is not accurate either, but once again, fan FICTION.

When I'm going for historically accurate, I'm usually much better to sticking to the basics and do actually research things before I add them into the story. That wasn't my goal with this particular story. I had an idea, I wanted to write it into a story, and BAM . . . ugly reviews.

I don't mind reviews. I don't mind constructive critizism. BUT, I hate it when people forget that I am not a hystorian . . if something isn't historically accurate and you don't like it . . .for gods sake move on to a different story.

I finally gave up and just posted a big fat "Notice to the Reader" at the top of the story, EXPLAINING that the story is historically inaccurate and if you don't like that sort of thing, this story is probley not your cup of tea.

~Growls~

Oceans of Love, ~Marian the Blackadder~

SightSoBlind's review of Commodore, i would guess?

My first temptation would be to reply to the review by quoting SSB's review and correcting all the spelling mistakes. Nothing more.

Actually, MY first temptation would be to say thanx. I love reviews. Good, bad, i'm such a review whore i'll take any attention. Which sometimes seems to go right up my critic's nose...

But really, why would anyone assume that fanfic of a Disney movie was meant as a historical piece? Were the zombiepirateghosts historical in the movie? The Kraken? A sailing ship that was resurrected?

I could see, maybe, writing fanfic that corrects a Disney movie's mistakes, and presenting THAT as history. Instead, criticizing fanfic for anachronisms is just insane. Why would a historian expect history in the POTC archive?

Ah, well, SSB got their rocks off feeling all superior to you, and you know that their critique fell wide of the mark, so you can feel superior to them in return.

well, i don't see anything outrageous in SSB's review.

when someone sets their story in a specific place, in a specific time, readers have the right to expect some historical accuracy. in other case, why claiming the thing goes on in England, for example? :P

the whole idea, in my opinion, is not to stick to the historical settings perfectly, but to make the impression that you do this :) it is needed to create the credible background. as long as readers are comfortable with the combination "fiction + reality appearances" there is no problem.

of course, on the other hand, authors have the right to keep their stories as they like.

I guess this all shows the idea of review, right? to say what one thinks of the piece.

the pattern "I like it, BUT..." is OK with me.

hmmm,

I think I really missed the mark with this story. (or people are skipping over chapters :P). It's set in the Caribbean on Port Royal, but people seem to think that it's in England.

I do attempt to keep everything in the time though. No cell phones, computers, telephones . . . airplanes. Stuff like that.

Basically the whole jist of the story (if i were to put it in one sentence) is that she is a borderline pirate. Kinda like Elizabeth Swan with a really BAD attitude.

~Sigh~ I think i'm going to have to rewrite some stuff before updating it again. Maybe that will help solve the problem.

Oceans of Love, ~Marian~

P.S. ~Thinks~ Jack Sparrow with a cell phone . . . hmmmm

hmmm,

I think I really missed the mark with this story. (or people are skipping over chapters :P ). It's set in the Caribbean on Port Royal, but people seem to think that it's in England.

no, no, I just said "England, for example, as I didn't mean anywhere specific :)

but to be honest - I wouldn't know where it was :]

I do attempt to keep everything in the time though. No cell phones, computers, telephones . . . airplanes. Stuff like that.
that's cool :)

but there are still some social norms, behaviors, taboos, words etc that should be taken into account. they create an appropriate mood.

well, of course if you care about it :)

Kinda like Elizabeth Swan with a really BAD attitude.
I can see that :]

you have two ways, I think:

1. make her behave appropriate in front of parents and all high society until one day, when she just has enough

2. make her behave like a badass, but with all social consequences :P

I think i'm going to have to rewrite some stuff before updating it again. Maybe that will help solve the problem.
well, it means that SSB's review was great :) it made you think through your story. and that's the point :)
P.S. ~Thinks~ Jack Sparrow with a cell phone . . . hmmmm

that's a great idea for a parody. think about it :D

that's a great idea for a parody. think about it :P
Sparrow staggers over the side of the ship and lands in Disneyland?

Oh, his eyes would light up from within when he saw all the happy shiny toys...