Click Here!

I'm technologically impaired

wanderingaddict

Now, I'm pretty much inept at figuring things out on my own, so as my last resort I'm asking here. I'm trying to upload a new chapter, but all I've been able to gather is that it's easier to do so in OpenOffice than Word. Would anyone be willing to help me out a little here?

I'm not a mod, so this answer probably won't be correct in all (or maybe any) respects, but I think your problem might be due to an issue with the way OpenOffice & Word convert documents to HTML. I know when I tested out exporting a text document as html in Abiword, it added all sorts of gross 'dir="ltr" style="text-align:left"' stuff to all my paragraphs. AFFN might be choking on some weird export elements or properties like that, although that doesn't explain why it does let you add chapters after a few tries.

I always use the "upload in text field" option when adding a new chapter, so I can be sure just what markup is there, but that generally means you have to add all your paragrahs tags & italics & whatnot by hand, which... is not the most fun.

I can only suggest opening up those html documents and checking to see if they've got a lot of html gibberish-- you should really only be seeing <p>, <i>/<em>, and <b>/<strong> tags for most fics. But I could also be totally off my mark, so keep that in mind too, I guess.

I hope this will be of some help!

[EDIT:] oh yeah, and you also probably want to remove all the starting HTML from the document as well... Everything from the start of the file (which, depending on what kind of export it is, could be an <?xml> tag, a <!DOCTYPE> tag, or a plain <html> tag) to the <body> tag, and then the closing </body> and </html> tags at the end.

Edited by xax

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.