Click Here!

Please pick up this story. Betrayal of the raven by miss lesley on ff.net

Guest riokali

Guest riokali

I read this story a few years back and have been waiting for an update.it seems the author has dropped out of fanfiction for good. I am interested in the premise and i would be so appreciative if someone could write it and end my suffering :) it only has four chapters.please someone ...anyone.

• 2 weeks later...

I get why someone trying to pass a story off as their own original work from start to finish would be plagiarizing, but why would finishing an unfinished story be plagiarizing if you gave credit to the originator? I mean, this is a fanfiction site! Do you think all your writers have contacted the actual authors or screenwriters or whatevers to ask their permission? It sounds like people here can write fanfiction about published and copyrighted works, but they can't write fanfiction about fanfiction. Doesn't that seem a bit off?

the OP is not asking for someone to write a fan fiction about a fan fiction. S/he is asking someone to pick up a story that has been abandoned and finish it. That would be considered plagiarism, because it would entail taking the work of someone else and make it your own, no matter if you credit the original author or not.

As for the authors on this site, they do not take the published work and copy it, and pass it off as their own. They work hard to create something of their own, based on characters and settings from published works, and they disclaim all ownership of these characters and settings.

If anyone picks up this story without permission from the original author, that person would be plagiarizing, as DG stated, and would be deleted from AFF.

If the original author of the story were to give permission for it to be adopted, it would be a whole other story.

I promise I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just really don't understand the distinction! Like, when the Harry Potter series was on book five or six or whatever a lot of fanfiction authors were writing their own versions of the next book. Weren't they picking up the story where it had been left off? Isn't that what an in canon story does?

Now, if someone took over the story and presented it as their own from start to finish, yes fanfiction plagiarism. 100%. If they took over a story without clearly defining what was coming from another author, also not okay.

But if the usual disclaimer is applied, "such-and-such characters and this-and-that scenario were created by so-and-so" or "chapters 1-X were written by so-and-so and all new characters and situations introduced therein were created by him", it doesn't seem right that such a disclaimer wouldn't be enough for a fanfiction author when it's considered good enough for a published author.

I know of one story at least, "The Marriage Stone", that was very popular and when the author went MIA several admirers took up the mantle to try to bring closure to the story.

Again, I swear I'm not trying to start an argument. Just trying to get a better feel for fanfiction etiquette. I stopped back to see what the answer to my original question was, but this still isn't making a lot of sense to me.

Guest guest666666

These are all the types of plagiarism

source: http://www.plagiaris...plagiarism.html

Sources Not Cited

• "The Ghost Writer"
    The writer turns in another's work, word-for-word, as his or her own.
  • "The Photocopy"
    The writer copies significant portions of text straight from a single source, without alteration.
  • "The Potluck Paper"
    The writer tries to disguise plagiarism by copying from several different sources, tweaking the sentences to make them fit together while retaining most of the original phrasing.
  • "The Poor Disguise"
    Although the writer has retained the essential content of the source, he or she has altered the paper's appearance slightly by changing key words and phrases.
  • "The Labor of Laziness"
    The writer takes the time to paraphrase most of the paper from other sources and make it all fit together, instead of spending the same effort on original work.
  • "The Self-Stealer"
    The writer "borrows" generously from his or her previous work, violating policies concerning the expectation of originality adopted by most academic institutions.

Sources Cited (But Still Plagiarized)

• "The Forgotten Footnote"
    The writer mentions an author's name for a source, but neglects to include specific information on the location of the material referenced. This often masks other forms of plagiarism by obscuring source locations.
  • "The Misinformer"
    The writer provides inaccurate information regarding the sources, making it impossible to find them.
  • "The Too-Perfect Paraphrase"
    The writer properly cites a source, but neglects to put in quotation marks text that has been copied word-for-word, or close to it. Although attributing the basic ideas to the source, the writer is falsely claiming original presentation and interpretation of the information.
  • "The Resourceful Citer"
    The writer properly cites all sources, paraphrasing and using quotations appropriately. The catch? The paper contains almost no original work! It is sometimes difficult to spot this form of plagiarism because it looks like any other well-researched document.
  • "The Perfect Crime"
    Well, we all know it doesn't exist. In this case, the writer properly quotes and cites sources in some places, but goes on to paraphrase other arguments from those sources without citation. This way, the writer tries to pass off the paraphrased material as his or her own analysis of the cited material.

I'm going to state the obvious here. Academia is different than fanfiction. Yes, we DO apply the above criteria when making a determination as to whether or not plagiarism has occurred.

Aside from that, you may not post someone else's story without permission. I don't care if you feel it has been abandoned, or if there is a long time between updates. WITHOUT PERMISSION, taking another's story, posting it as your own and then continuing it is plagiarism.

We do not allow this.