Click Here!

Reply option

Xenobia

Why isn't there an option for the author to reply to reviews? We can't review our own stories--not even to respond to another person's reviews. If they have e-mail blocked, we can't even respond to questions they ask. There is no PM function that I've seen.

We need some way to respond to people other than putting up an author's note expressing appreciation. I'm a little surprised that after how many years, this site STILL has no option for that. Please, we really need the capability to respond to our reviewers. Someone asked me a question concerning the fandom I'm currently writing on and I have absolutely NO way of responding, except to put up an author's note at the top of the next chapter.

From what I know it has to do stress on the server and not inflating the review count. As of now AFAIK you open a thread on the forum or just reply in the A/N (No more than 600 words per A/N though). I think something to fix this may be planned for the future, but I believe there are more pressing issues ATM.

Though it would be nice to have, no doubt about that.

No more than 600 words per chapter, for all AN in a chapter, actually. We've actually got an option built in for the new software in development. However, it doesn't want to work with the current software (we tried testing it and are still trying to see if there's a workaround that will work with the much older code).

If you want to discuss your stories, yes, you can do that in the forum, not the review board.

As to the stresses, that has everything to do with age of the current scripts, how they parse the data, how they interpret queries, how queries are structured for it, and load to the database server itself. Seeing as how there are incompatibilities, and in fact drastic changes to the query language itself from when this was written, and the versions it was written in, to now; this is where we run in to many issues with putting new functions in to the old software. With the version gap between languages and software, there have been significant changes in how scripts need to be written, and how things are structured. To the point where if inserting a function in some for instances, written in php3, it may not work in php4 or php5, and often DOESN'T work. That has to do with how the php interpreter itself has changed. Also, inserting a function written in a more current version of the language doesn't always work either, as while the interpreter will use it, there have been many times where we've found it's simply not supportable in the old code itself and causes problems of moderate to often severe variety within the old code itself.

Don't worry,
Xenobia
, I am working on it. I am painfully sorry this's been such a drag for so long. For now, though, I've still got you this forum, which -- though a step away from archive-side -- is passable for many purposes like this (and is connected across, by the "Discuss This Story" links). I hope you can see your way clear to talk through here (hah, rhymin') until (and after, maybe, since it's kind of a cool tool) I get stuff squared away.

Meantime, I welcome many an AFFer in
. I can't read through too much randomness lately, so if you want to talk to me, just do that. (Or AIM me -- same addy -- and I'll have my magnifier ready for you.)

-bows & outs-

Yours, &c.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.