Click Here!

Affirmative Action

Guest chibi4president

I know that many people in this day and age would like to think that AA action is needed, but I don't know what Utopia you are living in. Yes, people should be hired on their own merit, but let's be honest it doesn't always take place. Racism and discrimination in the workforce against minorities ( women, gays/lesbians, and people of color) is more subtle and comes in varying degrees. Employers now have found ingenious ways to get around not hiring those who "benefit" from AA. I myself am an African-American woman who is also very proud to be a lesbian. Currently, I am enrolled in graduate school and don't think that meeting a quota had anything with my admittance. I do have a problem also with the concept of AA, but don't understand how anyone of European descendant could feel threatened by AA. Not to long ago, I was reminded that yes sometimes it doesn't matter how hard I study my grade will not be the same as my fellow classmates, and it hurts. I consider myself very studious, and don't expect to be given grades because of my skin color. However, it was brought to my attention by several of my classmates ( who are white) that our professor was not docking them for turning in work late, but all the other students who "benefit" from AA ( African American students in my class) said that whenever they have turned in something late points were deducted from their grade. I am not saying that I shoud be allowed to turn assignments in late. But, just wanted to vent, and remind those who feel that they are victims of reverse discrimination why AA came into play originally, and why it still exists. How many times have you felt, or been reminded occasionally that because of your skin color you just were not good enough regardless of all your hard work and education?

My attention is not to offend anyone, and if you feel that I have please except my apology.

Edited by ericad

Alright, I hate point out another ill of our society again, but here goes. Yes, AA is a great thing, when it works. But discrimination isn't just about skin color or sexual orientation or sex. Sometimes, the hatred that some people hold toward a certain group can't be seen. Not so long ago in North America you could easily see signs that read "No Jews need apply" or "No Irish need apply". I myself (and I'm not that old people) have actually been called a dirty fucking Pollack. I've personally never been turned away from a job or school because of my heritage, but I know my father was in his youth, and the rest of my family faced it, and no one cares about that, because gasp we're white.

The point of this little rant, if your wondering, is that AA is a good idea in theory. But if you are admitting unqualified people because of their skin color etc, the whole system could suffer. Think about it, would you want to be treated by a doctor (of any color, white, black, green, purple)that went to med school because of a quota?

Until we live in a society that actually looks at ones achievements instead of ones skin, sexual orientation or ethnicity in general, we're all in trouble. And you all know what that means; We're all in trouble for a very long time.