Click Here!

Need opinions before I get here for clean up

DemonGoddess

I've been kicking this around for months. What I've been seeing, and what I think needs addressed is the following:

In movies, you have Marvelverse and DCverse type stories. I'm thinking that once I get to comics, I should make it DC Verse, and other comics. Xmen should become Marvel Verse. What I see with that, is that it helps for continuity. For example, you have Spiderman comics, and then movies, same for XMen. Batman, which is DC verse, also has comics, movies and some graphic novels.

As I'm working in a specific sequence, this makes it so that as I get there, I have a better idea of what, exactly, my crew and I are up against.

Hi DemonGoddess,

As far as having the comics section set up with top subcategories of Marvel, DC, etc., that makes sense to me.

I was actually wondering why X-Factor is listed under Comics while X-Men is listed in a whole other section (both here and in the fan fiction archives). Obviously, there are X-Men movies, and not X-Factor movies, but both are comics first long before movies came along.

That's why I wanted to move my Doc Ock story to the Comics section (and thanks for doing that!) because readers told me that's where Spiderman-related stuff ends up, even if the story is based on a movie.

Anyway, the core issue, splitting Marvel, DC, etc. into subcategories under Comics makes perfect sense to me. The only issue I can think of is how to deal with crossovers; but then you could have a subcategory for those and all bases would be covered. I don't tend to do crossovers, but some folks like to have the X-Men run into Batman, and such.

Thanks for everything!

Well sure. And here's another thing. You have the various cartoon incarnations of DC and Marvel titles as well, which is why I was looking at this big of a change too.

Say for example I did this...

We'll work with xmen..

It would become "Marvel Verse"

and from there, you'd have the titles, and etc, that are all Marvel Verse.

Then going to comics...

It becomes "DC Verse" and other stuff

DC Verse being the top level, Cartoons alphanumeric listings the others.

I'll work with the two most popular titles, and give you an idea of what I'm looking at.

In a DC Verse top level in comics,

you would have

DC Verse>Batman>Movies

DC Verse>Batman>Cartoons

DC Verse>Batman>Comics

Or, I could go...(all for top level)

DC Verse Movies

DC Verse Cartoons

DC Verse Comics

which would then be followed at the second level by Batman, Superman, Wonderwoman, and etc or something very much like that. Third level would be pair types, of course, as is what I set as the standard format throughout the archive.

The same would be in the xmen subdomain which would become "Marvel Verse" for ALL Marvel titles. But then again, I also have to look at my having only 3 category levels to work with as well. So it definitely needs more work, but I think you see what I'm after.

I dunno, as I said, I'm still working this out. Now, since we're sorting in cartoons, I can probably get a feel for what I need to move around and such starting there. In any case, it gets complicated, because as you see it involves three separate subdomains.

read this off to the fiancee, the comic nutcase, and his opinion was he liked it. He said it sounded like a great way to go in and handle this rather than the mess that it is right now.

This one makes the most sense to me:DC Verse MoviesDC Verse CartoonsDC Verse Comicswith a second level of Batman, Superman, Wonderwoman, etc.Otherwise, you'd have hundreds or more of sections for DC Verse Batman Movies, DC Verse Superman Movies, etc. at the top level. It would be simpler to have many second level topics instead. Also, from a reader searching for stories viewpoint, it would be less muddy to go to "DC Verse Movies" and then look for Batman.

Well yes, but as I said, this is very rough what I'm throwing at you. Once I GET there, is when I start looking at exactly how it can be put together without it making a worse mess than already exists.

But, this is exactly what I asked for, because I do need to figure this out, LOL.

So, the more input, the better, as then I'll start plotting it out in a way which'll work with the 3 levels of categories and the database itself. Of course, once I come up with something much more than a very rough draft, I'll put it up so we can all discuss it further, and refine it. THEN I can implement. Make sense?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

What I've done (so far) is set up DC 'Verse as a top level, and it will include comics, cartoons, movies, tv series. There is often crossover between different story arcs within the fiction, so this makes the most sense.

The subcategories moved within the comics subdomain to the new top level are:

• Batman
  • Birds of Prey
  • Green Arrow
  • Justice League
  • Superman
  • Teen Titans
  • Titans
  • V for Vendetta
  • Vigilante
  • Watchmen
  • Wonder Woman

On to xmen now..

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.