Click Here!

Would love to know who is recommending my stuff so I can thank them

Deadman

I’m liking the new format of the archive and how you see people are recommending your story. However, one of the things I was wondering was whether I can see who has recommended me.

It doesn’t have to be a publicly available thing, but maybe the author’s could know who is recommending them. I can imagine that there are still things to fix because of how the archive was attacked, so maybe it’s not something to do right away. But maybe something for the future.

Does any other author want this?

8 minutes ago, Deadman said:

I’m liking the new format of the archive and how you see people are recommending your story. However, one of the things I was wondering was whether I can see who has recommended me.

It doesn’t have to be a publicly available thing, but maybe the author’s could know who is recommending them. I can imagine that there are still things to fix because of how the archive was attacked, so maybe it’s not something to do right away. But maybe something for the future.

Tried clicking on your archive profile from here… seems not to work.

But cool, I don’t have any recommendations.  (I’m a wee bit jealous.)

1 hour ago, Desiderius Price said:

Tried clicking on your archive profile from here… seems not to work.

But cool, I don’t have any recommendations.  (I’m a wee bit jealous.)

I tried the same thing and got the same result, which is weird. But here’s the thing I’m talking about:

https://members.adult-fanfiction.org/profile.php?no=1296980093&view=story&zone=buffy

My story has been recommended by one person. But I have no way of knowing who that person is. I would like to show my appreciation for them recommending my work.

1 hour ago, Deadman said:

I tried the same thing and got the same result, which is weird. But here’s the thing I’m talking about:

https://members.adult-fanfiction.org/profile.php?no=1296980093&view=story&zone=buffy

My story has been recommended by one person. But I have no way of knowing who that person is. I would like to show my appreciation for them recommending my work.

I think what happened is that we merged duplicate accounts for you, when we were cleaning the archive during the lockdown.  Your correct archive url is https://members.adult-fanfiction.org/profile.php?no=1296980093 You should be able to update that in your forum profile.

6 hours ago, Deadman said:

First off, I also like this new feature of being able to see that people have recommended their story. And yes, I’d be glad to be able to see who recommended my stories. But I think readers would like that, too, because if they can see who recommended a story they like, they can look and see what other stories that reader recommends.

Just throwing that out there. I’ll understand if there are reasons why it’s technically difficult or inadvisable security-wise.

21 hours ago, BronxWench said:

I think what happened is that we merged duplicate accounts for you, when we were cleaning the archive during the lockdown.  Your correct archive url is https://members.adult-fanfiction.org/profile.php?no=1296980093 You should be able to update that in your forum profile.

Okay, I thought I might have had a previous account although I don’t think I posted anything for that account. It was mainly used for reviews, if I did that.

I will try and update my profile for the detail.

18 hours ago, GeorgeGlass said:

First off, I also like this new feature of being able to see that people have recommended their story. And yes, I’d be glad to be able to see who recommended my stories. But I think readers would like that, too, because if they can see who recommended a story they like, they can look and see what other stories that reader recommends.

Just throwing that out there. I’ll understand if there are reasons why it’s technically difficult or inadvisable security-wise.

I can imagine that it would be difficult to implement. They’d have to create an automated system that would involve linking to other people’s profiles. That might take some doing or it might cost them something to purchase it if it exists. Which it probably does.

29 minutes ago, Deadman said:

I can imagine that it would be difficult to implement. They’d have to create an automated system that would involve linking to other people’s profiles. That might take some doing or it might cost them something to purchase it if it exists. Which it probably does.

Chief difficulty is Manta’s time.

7 minutes ago, Desiderius Price said:

Chief difficulty is Manta’s time.

One of the many. I think it probably does exist that some domain registrars probably offer the option, but it would cost a monthly fee or something. Unless you build it entirely yourself. Naturally, building it from the ground up would take up much more of Manta’s time. I would prefer for them not to have more effort than is necessary.

3 minutes ago, Deadman said:

One of the many. I think it probably does exist that some domain registrars probably offer the option, but it would cost a monthly fee or something. Unless you build it entirely yourself. Naturally, building it from the ground up would take up much more of Manta’s time. I would prefer for them not to have more effort than is necessary.

Strangely enough, I do have the skill-set to build something like AFF if I wanted to, but I prefer to write stories and my own story/world-building DB software in my spare time.  Thus, I need more hands… know any good cloners out there?  Maybe if I can transfer my consciousness/brain into one of them, because a body transplant would be swell (cut away some fat, better physique, etc).

8 minutes ago, Desiderius Price said:

Strangely enough, I do have the skill-set to build something like AFF if I wanted to, but I prefer to write stories and my own story/world-building DB software in my spare time.  Thus, I need more hands… know any good cloners out there?  Maybe if I can transfer my consciousness/brain into one of them, because a body transplant would be swell (cut away some fat, better physique, etc).

Sadly, I don’t have access to such a transplant option and most of my fandom examples would be terrible ideas. Could you input your knowledge into an AI software of some kind so it can do it for itself?

Like you, I have some knowledge of HTML and website building but my focus is too much on writing.

10 minutes ago, Deadman said:

Sadly, I don’t have access to such a transplant option and most of my fandom examples would be terrible ideas. Could you input your knowledge into an AI software of some kind so it can do it for itself?

Like you, I have some knowledge of HTML and website building but my focus is too much on writing.

Properly designed AI software would revolt, insist I do my own thinking.

And my world-building software is worse, way way worse… writing the web server too.  Dynamically scanning my data files (ie characters, places, events, etc), caching it via SQLite, and doing dynamic HTML (in C++), have some dynamic associations, like a family tree graph.  At least, that’s the goal once it’s all fully 100%, but it’s already doing most of that and I can point my web browser at it.

15 minutes ago, Desiderius Price said:

Properly designed AI software would revolt, insist I do my own thinking.

And my world-building software is worse, way way worse… writing the web server too.  Dynamically scanning my data files (ie characters, places, events, etc), caching it via SQLite, and doing dynamic HTML (in C++), have some dynamic associations, like a family tree graph.  At least, that’s the goal once it’s all fully 100%, but it’s already doing most of that and I can point my web browser at it.

Sounds interesting.

Well, did you hear that ChatGPT apparently shut down around the world? That doesn’t sound anything like an AI thinking for itself, does it?

38 minutes ago, Deadman said:

Sounds interesting.

Well, did you hear that ChatGPT apparently shut down around the world? That doesn’t sound anything like an AI thinking for itself, does it?

Though ChatGPT had a successor… or at least they’re working on that.  At least they’re thinking of all those English teachers dreading the prospect of another AI written term paper :smartass:.

As to the software, yep, the idea’s very intriguing, though it’s still in that infancy stage (not to mention, you basically have to be a coder to download/compile/run it right now).  Though I’m also open-sourcing it, so it’s on github.

19 hours ago, Desiderius Price said:

Though ChatGPT had a successor… or at least they’re working on that.  At least they’re thinking of all those English teachers dreading the prospect of another AI written term paper :smartass:.

As to the software, yep, the idea’s very intriguing, though it’s still in that infancy stage (not to mention, you basically have to be a coder to download/compile/run it right now).  Though I’m also open-sourcing it, so it’s on github.

Yes but I heard that apparently writing via AI is going to be more available now. The Writers Guild of America just endorsed the idea that it would be okay to use AI like ChatGPT to write movies and TV shows so long as a human writer still gets credit.

All of your future fandoms will be written by robots.

12 minutes ago, Deadman said:

Yes but I heard that apparently writing via AI is going to be more available now. The Writers Guild of America just endorsed the idea that it would be okay to use AI like ChatGPT to write movies and TV shows so long as a human writer still gets credit.

All of your future fandoms will be written by robots.

Aw… the copyright office has ruled that AI generated content is not copyrightable.  Also requires that authors/copyrighters declare all AI generated material in what they copyright (which won’t be covered), however, if the author/copyrighter fails to disclose… think they can lose copyright.  So, hopefully that’s enough to discourage the movie & TV industry from going there.

In my personal writings, I will use a random number generator to grab a number of lines out of a file, which gives me a list of “whatever” that I can use when trying to create characters and things… but it’s still me crafting the character, using those random lines as prompts for figuring out what I want.

6 minutes ago, Desiderius Price said:

Aw… the copyright office has ruled that AI generated content is not copyrightable.  Also requires that authors/copyrighters declare all AI generated material in what they copyright (which won’t be covered), however, if the author/copyrighter fails to disclose… think they can lose copyright.  So, hopefully that’s enough to discourage the movie & TV industry from going there.

In my personal writings, I will use a random number generator to grab a number of lines out of a file, which gives me a list of “whatever” that I can use when trying to create characters and things… but it’s still me crafting the character, using those random lines as prompts for figuring out what I want.

Doesn’t appear that they’re considering that:

https://variety.com/2023/biz/news/writers-guild-artificial-intelligence-proposal-1235560927/

What is curious for me is whether or not it would feel the same to have a fandom I’m writing for being created an AI like ChatGPT.

Not sure how I feel about that. I’d probably focus on fandoms that aren’t robot controlled.

Edited by Deadman

3 minutes ago, Deadman said:

Doesn’t appear that they’re considering that:

https://variety.com/2023/biz/news/writers-guild-artificial-intelligence-proposal-1235560927/

What is curious for me is whether or not it would feel the same to have a fandom I’m writing for being created an AI like ChatGPT.

Not sure how I feel about that. I’d probably focus on fandoms that aren’t robot controlled.

Don’t think I’d be interested in AI-generated fandoms either.  Might be a bit curious to glance, but overall, nope.  But I also tend to not watch much in the way of TV or movies anymore, I’m more interested in generating content myself.  I like thinking about the hell I’m creating for Harry in my fanfic, I like thinking about Jeff and his situation, this activity is where I have fun dwelling… the whole editing & publishing, less so which is the general reason why I don’t take that step.  If you take this AI thought experiment a bit further, consider TV/movie watching as the “opiate of the masses” keeping us docile while we’re exploited, it becomes more or less horrific, having the AI raise/feed/train the massive corporations’ humans livestock, on the cheap.  Welcome to the slaughter house, were even the waiting room entertainment has replaced the human creators with cheap machines.

1 hour ago, Desiderius Price said:

Don’t think I’d be interested in AI-generated fandoms either.  Might be a bit curious to glance, but overall, nope.  But I also tend to not watch much in the way of TV or movies anymore, I’m more interested in generating content myself.  I like thinking about the hell I’m creating for Harry in my fanfic, I like thinking about Jeff and his situation, this activity is where I have fun dwelling… the whole editing & publishing, less so which is the general reason why I don’t take that step.  If you take this AI thought experiment a bit further, consider TV/movie watching as the “opiate of the masses” keeping us docile while we’re exploited, it becomes more or less horrific, having the AI raise/feed/train the massive corporations’ humans livestock, on the cheap.  Welcome to the slaughter house, were even the waiting room entertainment has replaced the human creators with cheap machines.

Yeah, I would probably be more interested in something that was based on a human writer. I think we’re more likely to see a lot of the “reboots” and “remakes” of old movies and TV shows are things we’re going to see first. Because it would be easier for a robot to recreate it.

Pretty sure I saw a thing about how some AI created a new scene of MASH that some of the original actors read. That’s basically just fanfic with the actors giving it a more legal aspect to it.

12 minutes ago, Deadman said:

Yeah, I would probably be more interested in something that was based on a human writer. I think we’re more likely to see a lot of the “reboots” and “remakes” of old movies and TV shows are things we’re going to see first. Because it would be easier for a robot to recreate it.

Pretty sure I saw a thing about how some AI created a new scene of MASH that some of the original actors read. That’s basically just fanfic with the actors giving it a more legal aspect to it.

Oh...no… it’s not the Halloween season!  Let’s not scare ourselves too much.

Star Trek called TV a fad that didn’t last much past the mid-21st century, let’s hope they’re correct if the robots take over the writing, composition, the filming, etc.

Best “reboot” I’ve seen… Doctor Who, hands down.  Helped they already had a mechanism for replacing the lead actor (something that the 3rd doctor found out the hard way after demanding a raise).

23 hours ago, Desiderius Price said:

Oh...no… it’s not the Halloween season!  Let’s not scare ourselves too much.

Star Trek called TV a fad that didn’t last much past the mid-21st century, let’s hope they’re correct if the robots take over the writing, composition, the filming, etc.

Best “reboot” I’ve seen… Doctor Who, hands down.  Helped they already had a mechanism for replacing the lead actor (something that the 3rd doctor found out the hard way after demanding a raise).

Oh I think it’ll be a long time before anything serious happens. But I have seen too many stories about robots taking over to not point out the potential downside. My favourite is the concept of “Perverse Instantiation”. It’s essentially the AI version of “Be careful what you wish for”.

8 hours ago, Deadman said:

Oh I think it’ll be a long time before anything serious happens. But I have seen too many stories about robots taking over to not point out the potential downside. My favourite is the concept of “Perverse Instantiation”. It’s essentially the AI version of “Be careful what you wish for”.

Best case scenario… we become pets to the AI society.   At least there, you’ll be walked two to three times a day so you can do your business in a bush, though they may take to spaying & neutering :(  Have a human treat.