Click Here!

change search character requirement from 4 characters to 3

Guest Buttered Toast

Guest Buttered Toast

This change would allow people to ban two character tags in searches. It would make searching outside of specific subdomain a lot less cumbersome as well. Is it possible to make this change without too much issues or is there something preventing it?

3 minutes ago, Guest Buttered Toast said:

This change would allow people to ban two character tags in searches. It would make searching outside of specific subdomain a lot less cumbersome as well. Is it possible to make this change without too much issues or is there something preventing it?

I’m not quite sure what it is you’re asking. Searches are and will remain limited to a specific subdomain since each subdomain is a separate database, and it isn’t possible to search across the entire archive at once. However, searches within a subdomain can be done across all subcategories in that subdomain.

If you wish to eliminate two tags while searching, you would type both tags in the search field, each preceded by a minus sign.

However, it is possible that the search function remains disabled at the present time, while our coder continues to make sure the site is properly secured against another crippling attack which would force us to place the archive into read-only mode again.

Guest ButteredToast
9 minutes ago, BronxWench said:

I’m not quite sure what it is you’re asking. Searches are and will remain limited to a specific subdomain since each subdomain is a separate database, and it isn’t possible to search across the entire archive at once. However, searches within a subdomain can be done across all subcategories in that subdomain.

If you wish to eliminate two tags while searching, you would type both tags in the search field, each preceded by a minus sign.

However, it is possible that the search function remains disabled at the present time, while our coder continues to make sure the site is properly secured against another crippling attack which would force us to place the archive into read-only mode again.

When attempting to use the search function, it's stated, “Search terms are required to have FOUR or more characters per search term.” So something like “anal”, or “-cbt”. I'm asking if it's possible that requirement could be lowered to three characters, so something like “-hj" could be used in search without getting an error page. A lot of tags are two characters, so this would be useful in eliminating them. Or searching for them.

Does that make sense?

Guest ButteredToast
24 minutes ago, BronxWench said:

Yes, that does make sense. I’m not the coder, so I can’t tell you why we’re limited to 4 characters per tag, but hopefully @manta2g can answer that for us.

Ok, thanks. Also, I confused what subdomains were for subcategories in my first post. Likely added to the miscommunication. Apologies. Still waking up today.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.