Click Here!

I can't sign up

Guest Leadedrocket

Hi!

First of all, are you trying to sign up for the archive or for the forum?

If it’s the archive, the site is in read-only mode at the moment, which is why you can’t create an account. We were subjected to a barrage of sql injection attacks, and until the site is taken out of read-only mode, it’s not going to be possible to make a new archive account.

If it’s the forum, one of the requirements for forum membership is an archive account. And since the archive is in read-only mode…

We’re all working as fast as we can to resolve the issues, and get the site back up and running again. Bear with us, please, and keep an eye out on the forum and on the archive home page for announcements about the site’s status.

Thank you!

On 12/15/2022 at 9:36 PM, BronxWench said:

Hi!

First of all, are you trying to sign up for the archive or for the forum?

If it’s the archive, the site is in read-only mode at the moment, which is why you can’t create an account. We were subjected to a barrage of sql injection attacks, and until the site is taken out of read-only mode, it’s not going to be possible to make a new archive account.

If it’s the forum, one of the requirements for forum membership is an archive account. And since the archive is in read-only mode…

We’re all working as fast as we can to resolve the issues, and get the site back up and running again. Bear with us, please, and keep an eye out on the forum and on the archive home page for announcements about the site’s status.

Thank you!

Best wishes on this ongoing frustration, and happy holidays! Sincerely, pronker

EAD: Just recalled that about the first week of September, fanfictionDAHTNET also received attacks; you’re unrelated, but the timing is interesting. One couldn’t post stories there either new or added chapters, some updates got deleted, and so on, plus profile information reverted to that of a few weeks prior.

Edited by pronker

5 minutes ago, pronker said:

Best wishes on this ongoing frustration, and happy holidays! Sincerely, pronker

EAD: Just recalled that about the first week of September, fanfictionDAHTNET also received attacks; you’re unrelated, but the timing is interesting. One couldn’t post stories there either new or added chapters, some updates got deleted, and so on, plus profile information reverted to that of a few weeks prior.

Thank you for the good wishes!

Actually, I hadn’t known about the incursion over on FFN. It’s interesting timing, indeed. I know we use different software for our fiction archives, but I wonder if this is a general attack on fiction sites. (I don’t think AO3 would tell us if they were on fire even if we were toasting marshmallows in the flames.)

11 hours ago, BronxWench said:

Thank you for the good wishes!

Actually, I hadn’t known about the incursion over on FFN. It’s interesting timing, indeed. I know we use different software for our fiction archives, but I wonder if this is a general attack on fiction sites. (I don’t think AO3 would tell us if they were on fire even if we were toasting marshmallows in the flames.)

Interesting timing on FFN too, but I don’t pay close enough attention to my hitcounts over there to notice.  However, on AO3, I do, and haven’t seen any rollbacks on those.  (I’m presuming that, like AFF, hitcounts are stored in the same database as the stories.)  That’s another frustration with the archive being in read-only, I have no way to know if any of my stories have been read over the past three months…

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, DrunkenScotsman said:

I can’t help but wonder if it was that ChatBot AI thing learning how to write like all of us...

They actually tested one of those chatbots, having it write school essays and then having teachers (and Judy Blume!) read them to decide which were human kids and which were AI There was an interactive quiz with the article and surprisingly, I was able to correctly identify 11 out of 12 essays. But I won’t lie—it was hard to tell in a few instances. :lol:

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.