Click Here!

How much writing are you getting done while the site is in read-only mode?

Deadman

42 minutes ago, Desiderius Price said:

Plans vs reality?  I’m thinking Manta’s rewriting the website faster than I’m writing on my stories.

Yeah, totally get that. I’m just curious how much competition I’m going to have for views.

3 hours ago, Deadman said:

I’ve seen a few people talking about writing while the site is in read-only.

So I’m just curious how much people are actually getting done?

Not to be self-congratulatory but I’m writing quite a bit.

Got quite a few updates to post here. Think all five of my stories has at least two chapters waiting. I post on other sites as well though, but I really miss posting here.

I’m keeping up my usual writing pace. That’s partly because I post on other sites in addition to this one. But I still consider this my main story site; this is the only site where every single one of my 100+ stories is posted.

Edited by GeorgeGlass

I have one story over on the Pit. When I first started writing fan fiction, that’s where I posted, and this other author read what I thought was a one-shot, and asked me, “What happened next?” And that was it. I was off to the races. I pulled everything off the Pit years ago, but after she passed, I revised that first story and reposted it there in her memory.

I have one co-authored story over on another site, but it’s pretty much dead and I doubt it will ever be finished, which is a pity. I loved the story, and my co-author, but the site was less than welcoming when she had an issue, so… I pulled everything else I had there and never looked back.

Pretty much anything I’m not going to publish for sale lives here. AFF is my home. 

19 hours ago, BronxWench said:

I have one story over on the Pit. When I first started writing fan fiction, that’s where I posted, and this other author read what I thought was a one-shot, and asked me, “What happened next?” And that was it. I was off to the races. I pulled everything off the Pit years ago, but after she passed, I revised that first story and reposted it there in her memory.

I have one co-authored story over on another site, but it’s pretty much dead and I doubt it will ever be finished, which is a pity. I loved the story, and my co-author, but the site was less than welcoming when she had an issue, so… I pulled everything else I had there and never looked back.

Pretty much anything I’m not going to publish for sale lives here. AFF is my home. 

Totally get that. I had a lot of my stuff on Yahoo Groups back when that was still a thing and started moving it over to other sites when they became more popular.

Nowadays, I post most of it elsewhere but I’ve been on something of an AFF appropriate story kick. It’s lead me to post some old stuff here but also some new stuff that I’m working on now.

I never considered selling my stuff but most of it I would have to edit it, change names and all that. Most of my original stuff doesn’t fit here anyway.

29 minutes ago, Deadman said:

I never considered selling my stuff but most of it I would have to edit it, change names and all that. Most of my original stuff doesn’t fit here anyway.

Can’t think of any original material that isn’t accepted here.  My potter fanfics aren’t here (I’d have to file-off serial numbers if I were to bring those over).

We’re pretty open here as far as original work. Just because we’re called Adult-FanFiction doesn’t mean that every story needs to be explicit or even mildly sexual. There are a great number of things that are adult in nature and have nothing to do with sex. 

Having said that, you can publish some pretty explicit stuff too. There are small presses that have no issue with erotica, although most will draw the line at underage content or rape. Certain things are just too triggering even for the most liberal publisher. Here on AFF, we ask that you tag the ever living daylights out of any content that might be triggering or controversial, but we don’t censor unless it’s hate speech or trolling. Or stolen. We’re pretty firm on not stealing anyone else’s work.

1 hour ago, Desiderius Price said:

Can’t think of any original material that isn’t accepted here.  My potter fanfics aren’t here (I’d have to file-off serial numbers if I were to bring those over).

Well, I have a thing about wanting to keep some of my less adult oriented content separate. Not necessarily going to be upset if people found both, but I had someone who asked for it here and I decided not to share where to find it.

59 minutes ago, BronxWench said:

We’re pretty open here as far as original work. Just because we’re called Adult-FanFiction doesn’t mean that every story needs to be explicit or even mildly sexual. There are a great number of things that are adult in nature and have nothing to do with sex. 

Having said that, you can publish some pretty explicit stuff too. There are small presses that have no issue with erotica, although most will draw the line at underage content or rape. Certain things are just too triggering even for the most liberal publisher. Here on AFF, we ask that you tag the ever living daylights out of any content that might be triggering or controversial, but we don’t censor unless it’s hate speech or trolling. Or stolen. We’re pretty firm on not stealing anyone else’s work.

I’ve heard about the small presses that are open to erotica but I’m more interested in having my non-adult stuff be available for purchase. I tried posting it somewhere for free that I was hoping would lead to getting picked up, but it didn’t. So now I’m focused on trying to post it places that would make money or has the potential to.

Ah, yes, well, that rules us out, I’m afraid, since we don’t allow Patreon links or selling writing here other than via our advertising banners.

But, if you do ever publish anything, you can always post links in the “Great Wall of…” thread where we do allow you to advertise your published stuff. 

41 minutes ago, Deadman said:

I’ve heard about the small presses that are open to erotica but I’m more interested in having my non-adult stuff be available for purchase. I tried posting it somewhere for free that I was hoping would lead to getting picked up, but it didn’t. So now I’m focused on trying to post it places that would make money or has the potential to.

Talking minor ½ tags, right?  I’m in the same predicament if I ever want to publish.  I’ve toyed with the idea of setting up my own press, but that’s likely way more work, and it’d get in the way of the fun stuff, like writing.

36 minutes ago, Desiderius Price said:

Talking minor ½ tags, right?  I’m in the same predicament if I ever want to publish.  I’ve toyed with the idea of setting up my own press, but that’s likely way more work, and it’d get in the way of the fun stuff, like writing.

I’m not sure exactly what you mean by minor half tags, but if it’s what I think it is, not really. My original stuff is meant to be adapted for television. I adapted a couple scripts into books and put it out there. But I haven’t been in a place to really get it out there for people to buy. So now that I’m in a better place, I’m working on that aspect of it.

1 hour ago, BronxWench said:

Ah, yes, well, that rules us out, I’m afraid, since we don’t allow Patreon links or selling writing here other than via our advertising banners.

But, if you do ever publish anything, you can always post links in the “Great Wall of…” thread where we do allow you to advertise your published stuff. 

Cool, good to know. I may have stuff like that later on.

7 hours ago, Deadman said:

I’m not sure exactly what you mean by minor half tags, but if it’s what I think it is, not really. My original stuff is meant to be adapted for television. I adapted a couple scripts into books and put it out there. But I haven’t been in a place to really get it out there for people to buy. So now that I’m in a better place, I’m working on that aspect of it.

The ½ was the “auto-format” the forum software does on me… (annoying TBH), was trying to be short for minor1/minor2, ie, under-18 characters having sexual relations.

12 hours ago, Desiderius Price said:

The ½ was the “auto-format” the forum software does on me… (annoying TBH), was trying to be short for minor1/minor2, ie, under-18 characters having sexual relations.

Okay, well, I was right. That’s not what I’m necessarily doing. My writing is mostly coming of age but not in the sense of Euphoria style content. I try to write SFW stuff for things I want to get paid for.

13 hours ago, Deadman said:

Okay, well, I was right. That’s not what I’m necessarily doing. My writing is mostly coming of age but not in the sense of Euphoria style content. I try to write SFW stuff for things I want to get paid for.

I’ve tried SFW… one reason why my Halloween story’s stalled.  Nah, I’m not here to collect a paycheck, that’s what the day job is for.  I’m trying to hone my craft of telling tales, with the sexual aspect as a garnish not the main goal of my art.  Publishing (whether self or via traditional) would be more of a right-of-passage/badge-of-honor than a career change.  As you’ve seen, the terms of a lot of these places are okay with adults having sexual thoughts, but it’s gotta be puritanical and be totally devoid of naughty thoughts until their 18th birthdays which is too unrealistic for me.

On 11/26/2022 at 5:02 AM, Desiderius Price said:

I’ve tried SFW… one reason why my Halloween story’s stalled.  Nah, I’m not here to collect a paycheck, that’s what the day job is for.  I’m trying to hone my craft of telling tales, with the sexual aspect as a garnish not the main goal of my art.  Publishing (whether self or via traditional) would be more of a right-of-passage/badge-of-honor than a career change.  As you’ve seen, the terms of a lot of these places are okay with adults having sexual thoughts, but it’s gotta be puritanical and be totally devoid of naughty thoughts until their 18th birthdays which is too unrealistic for me.

Well I’m not making a paycheck or a day job at the moment. So I have to find one some way. The only thing that doesn’t require other people in any direct sense, is my writing. I can just do it and hope people are interested enough to pay me.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Zak069 said:

I’ve finished a 60,000 word story. Still waiting to be able to upload it.

We’re definitely able to have new stories uploaded. We’ve updated the FAQ for the process as well. The Rich Text Editor is still missing a few features as far as text formatting, but we’re hoping to have that back as soon as we can.