Click Here!

I still cannot update my story

Guest dschinny

At least, if nothing else, we’re at peace; and as for me, I hope somehow my input aids in breaking down this particular problem in the meantime that I picked up in the intervening years, including some classes at Porter & Chester.

On 10/14/2022 at 12:46 AM, DemonGoddess said:

I’m actually getting data together to find the times and other things.  But, the question here, is if we do that, does that open us up to possible closure due to the nature of the content?

I think the worse problem is that even if the site has done nothing wrong it is damn expensive to prove such. Getting the feds to care enough about the site to go after the attacker require a lot of work that is probably is better spent increasing the security of the site. It is of course irritating if the attacker gets away but the risk is great that going the legal way might burn out the AFF crew.

1 hour ago, Thundercloud said:

I think the worse problem is that even if the site has done nothing wrong it is damn expensive to prove such. Getting the feds to care enough about the site to go after the attacker require a lot of work that is probably is better spent increasing the security of the site. It is of course irritating if the attacker gets away but the risk is great that going the legal way might burn out the AFF crew.

I’m worried about repeated/sustained attacks, hence the suggestion of feds.

You both have good observations in this case; the repeated sustained attacks do indicate immaturity… overall: our best bet is to make the attacker furious, as it will only weaken them by making them do stupid stuff and make dumb mistakes- believe me, I studied this kind of stuff about computer and internet security.

8 hours ago, Thundercloud said:

Both Manta and I are working on exactly that.  Of course, right now, IRL job is interfering a wee bit, as I’m having to pull extra hours yet again, so that slows me down.

16 minutes ago, DemonGoddess said:

Both Manta and I are working on exactly that.  Of course, right now, IRL job is interfering a wee bit, as I’m having to pull extra hours yet again, so that slows me down.

Don’t forget to rest please.

Both you, Demon, and InvidiaRed have good observations, and if *you’re* bothered by the expense, DemonGoddess; so likely is your opponent; and infiruating the hacker is the best odds we would have to begin with.

Sometimes these attackers are not even under USA Federal Law’s domains, so the best functional odds are you make them mad, as then they’ll make mistakes, but by no means do *you* allow yourself to get angry. My CNT teacher described getting angry as putting lipstick on a pig: it will do two things, and neither of them you really would want.

• 2 weeks later...

Who said I was mad?  Sure, I’m peeved about the persistence.  But, there are ways to find out how they do they things, which is what I’ve been spending time ferreting out.  That’s actually the thing, finding out, HOW exactly they were doing what they did, so we can guard against it.  I can tell you it was a brute force hack.  I can see that in the logs.

Well, that’s a problem in and of itself: as it would require having a key to even interact with the site’s code to begin with… but every bit of feedback aids us in breaking down his tactics (proper grammar); and it is also clear that this would be maddening, but we want *him* to get mad, to get angry, so he makes critical mistakes.

It is also astounding how rapidly he hit it as soon, or almost, as the site got repaired; that alone indicates that he put some kind of a “spy” in the site, regarding a program into the code to have information when the site had been repaired- it is the only thing that makes any real sense.

On 10/28/2022 at 1:11 AM, Krulos said:

It is also astounding how rapidly he hit it as soon, or almost, as the site got repaired; that alone indicates that he put some kind of a “spy” in the site, regarding a program into the code to have information when the site had been repaired- it is the only thing that makes any real sense.

Or that he/she has put up a script that on a schedule scan the site for see if there has been an announcement that the site is fully online again. You cannot get around that if the legitimate users are told something that information is also available for the attacker.

As an aside...maybe the crew should try if SonarQube can help you to track down weak spots in the codebase. I have never used for PHP, but I have seen it find really obscure bugs in other languages.

On 10/14/2022 at 12:00 AM, Krulos said:

I don’t know about the rest of you; but I do not support filthy stories at all- nor filthy works at all. But I sure do not want the *government* to discern what is filth and what is not. Needless to say, folks; this criminal has become a serious problem that needs to be rooted out from any and all ability to work- ever. He also clearly knows of this site, and has to have some intimate knowledge of this site’s workings to be able to do that and do it well enough for his attacks to have worked *at all* in the first place.

My solution: if you do not approve of the reading materials you run across: do as I did as soon as possible and remove them from your reading selections; it will not remove them, but censorship is always going to backfire badly on all those who do employ it- ever.

*If* you take the lens of Mon-El/Mike Matthews in the latter parts of his chronological life in the show “Supergirl”; you would see a man who, while he *could* easily censor anything in his own nation, due to his place therein, he would likely refuse to employ that means; the reason: it’d be to open a can of tapeworms that there’s no way to fix once done. That is, of course, *POST* his emotional growing up; one reason I do think that this megalomaniac who’s been attacking here is really yet to grow up, mentally-speaking, so we’re probably dealing with someone who’s profoundly immature, character-wise. That would go a long way to explaining why the person is doing what they’re doing… but you’re right, what the person’s doing is illegal and they need to be stopped, heedless of ability.

if you don’t support “filthy stories” then why are you on this site? If I didn’t support them i’d never want to be a member of a site like this, it just does not make sense to me.

Anyways I hope this gets fixed soon because I just wrote a new story today and it’s annoying not being able to publish it on here. Hopefully this will be fixed by sometime next month. I’d urge everyone on here to publish their stories elsewhere like AO3 for now until AFF gets fixed.

Edited by darkrage6

8 hours ago, darkrage6 said:

if you don’t support “filthy stories” then why are you on this site? If I didn’t support them i’d never want to be a member of a site like this, it just does not make sense to me.

Hey, let’s not shame somebody for not being into naked teenage mud wrestling.

8 hours ago, Desiderius Price said:

they didn’t give any specifics on what stories they didn’t like though, they just said not liking “filthy stories” which basically describes like 99% of the stories on this site, so i’m not “shaming” anyone, just saying it comes across as a really bizarre comment to randomly post on a forum for a site like this, especially when the thread really has nothing at all to do with that.

18 hours ago, darkrage6 said:

Anyways I hope this gets fixed soon because I just wrote a new story today and it’s annoying not being able to publish it on here. Hopefully this will be fixed by sometime next month. I’d urge everyone on here to publish their stories elsewhere like AO3 for now until AFF gets fixed.

Because some of them are not filthy at all. And it is those that I choose to focus on. AO3 is really run by bullies, and so it is worthless.

8 hours ago, Desiderius Price said:

Here’s the thing: only you can shame you; because only you select what you do and what you go for- nobody else does… same with me, same with everyone else: same rules for everyone.

48 minutes ago, darkrage6 said:

they didn’t give any specifics on what stories they didn’t like though, they just said not liking “filthy stories” which basically describes like 99% of the stories on this site, so i’m not “shaming” anyone, just saying it comes across as a really bizarre comment to randomly post on a forum for a site like this, especially when the thread really has nothing at all to do with that.

I have standards; and at least this site, unlike AO3, doesn’t bully anyone- at least as far as I’ve encountered.

2 hours ago, Krulos said:

Because some of them are not filthy at all. And it is those that I choose to focus on. AO3 is really run by bullies, and so it is worthless.

Uh no it is not run by “bullies” at all and it’s not “worthless” in the least, that's one of the dumbest things i’ve ever heard, I just question why you’d read non-filthy fics on an adult website instead of the more tame Fanficton.net?

2 hours ago, Krulos said:

I have standards; and at least this site, unlike AO3, doesn’t bully anyone- at least as far as I’ve encountered.

how does AO3 “bully” anyone? So disliking “filthy” fics automatically means you have more “standards” than those of us who like those fics? LOL spare me that elitist garbage. You’re not better then the rest of us just because you’re morally against those kinds of fics.

Edited by darkrage6

I reiterate: This thread is for discussing the issues ongoing with the Archive, NOT for arguing about the merits or lack thereof of our competitor’s site. The previous posts (following warnings from staff members) have therefore been hidden (pending further action), and any further discussion on the matter here could result in moderation action. 

Willow Darkling, forum moderator. 

1 hour ago, Deadman said:

Okay, just making sure the site is still under read only mode?

Curious because I see there’s all kind of discussion on this thread I don’t know I’m going to go through it all.

Also, I checked the main archive and it seems like I can go through the main process of adding a new chapter if I wanted to.

I assume it’s still in read only mode?

One test that could be done: try to upload the piece or chapter; and if it works: it works, if it doesn’t: it doesn’t… either way you find out the answer to your question.

Oh, and posts that’re innocent seem to be disappearing from the forum; I’m not bullying anyone, and I do *NOT* appreciate that, as I am obliged to conclude it is abuse by the staff- as they’re the only ones who’d be able to do that, and thus they’re crossing the site’s lines of conduct badly.

No, you are constantly posting irrelevant post in a thread that has to do with Tech support for the Archive. So, I am hiding the posts that have NOTHING to do with the thread. For example, the last post I hid from you, you were discussing my gender and pronouns, which are of absolutely NO concern either for you, nor for this thread. 

This is not abuse, this is staff trying to keep control of a thread that has to do with an ongoing issue with our archive. Simple as that. 

We are not bullying you, we are not abusing you, we are simply trying to maintain order. And if you continue to post irrelevant posts on this thread, I will continue to hide them.