Click Here!

Why Sarah Palin is BAD news for the CF and everyone else

Solaris

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

because fighting a losing war sucks and Palin's sort of evil is one that is neither sexy or borderline acceptable. At least for me. A guy that's on a power trip and high on himself vs. a guy who backs a woman that goes against everything I believe in, like, rape is a bad thing and the government should have absolutely no say in what people do with their bodies. Yeah, Obama's an asshole, but I don't have the overwhelming desire to stab him in the eye. Nadar's great, but, it's highly unlikely that he'll become president and I'd rather Obama than McCain. I have yet to hear something about Obama that makes me go 'ok, there's no way in hell I'm voting for that guy!' Palin's... beliefs... have made me have that reaction. And don't preach to me about how she isn't going to become president, because I don't see McCain coming out and saying that he doesn't believe what she believes. I have relatives that are gay, hell, I'm a lesbian myself, and I seriously doubt we're going to get any rights with McCain in power, and I also know quite a few women who have had abortions that have saved their quality of life, both physical and mental.

because fighting a losing war sucks and Palin's sort of evil is one that is neither sexy or borderline acceptable. At least for me. A guy that's on a power trip and high on himself vs. a guy who backs a woman that goes against everything I believe in, like, rape is a bad thing and the government should have absolutely no say in what people do with their bodies. Yeah, Obama's an asshole, but I don't have the overwhelming desire to stab him in the eye. Nadar's great, but, it's highly unlikely that he'll become president and I'd rather Obama than McCain. I have yet to hear something about Obama that makes me go 'ok, there's no way in hell I'm voting for that guy!' Palin's... beliefs... have made me have that reaction. And don't preach to me about how she isn't going to become president, because I don't see McCain coming out and saying that he doesn't believe what she believes. I have relatives that are gay, hell, I'm a lesbian myself, and I seriously doubt we're going to get any rights with McCain in power, and I also know quite a few women who have had abortions that have saved their quality of life, both physical and mental.

Since you brought up you being a lesbian, let me state that Obama is all for gay rights, because I asked on the website, since I am a lesbian as well.

“While we have come a long way since the Stonewall riots in 1969, we still have a lot of work to do. Too often, the issue of LGBT rights is exploited by those seeking to divide us. But at its core, this issue is about who we are as Americans. It’s about whether this nation is going to live up to its founding promise of equality by treating all its citizens with dignity and respect.” — Senator Barack Obama

Here's what John McCain states about the issue though:

Republican John McCain says same-sex couples should be allowed to enter into legal agreements for insurance and other purposes, but he opposes gay marriage and believes in "the unique status of marriage between and man and a woman."

Sarah Palin believes in the same thing. Her stance on abortion is appalling as well. I personally am voting for Obama but I only vote for him to help keep McCain out of office. I am tired of republicans sitting in the oval office and being assholes about it all.

Honestly, the thought of her being elected scares me. The 'I need to get the hell out of this country' kind of fright. She's a freak, it's like she's out of Leave it to Beaver. Just the idea of her with any kind of power over this country and my life scares me to such a degree that I honestly try not to think about it. And I try to convince anyone I know of who might be thinking of voting for McCain to vote for Obama. He might not be perfect, but he's a hell of a lot better choice.

Even if she is using the VP office as a springboard to the presidency, is that a surprise? No one BAWWWed when Al Gore tried it.

Palin as president. What a stomach turning thought.

Why vote for the lesser evil?

That's a pretty stupid question, would you want to vote for the greater evil?

That's a pretty stupid question, would you want to vote for the greater evil?

Good god, click the fucking picture people. it's the campaign slogan of Cthulu for President.

Palin's religious beliefs aren't going to do anything for gay rights, no Republicans do but neither do democrats really. Biden stated unequivocally that he does not support gay marriage at the debate but somehow that just flew by without a word from the gay crowd. Obama as president will be like Hillary in 93. He'll try to socialize healthcare, it will go down in flames, and he will be crucified for it. He'll lose all political capital and when the HOPE and CHANGE doesn't happen in his first 100 days, he will lose his messiah status in the eyes of his followers. The country will turn on him and he will have an approval rating that will match what his democratic colleagues are receiving right now. enjoy your failed administration.

Good god, click the fucking picture people. it's the campaign slogan of Cthulu for President.

Some of us cannot see that picture...atleast I cannot...I get this message...sorry, but you do not have permission to use this feature. If you are not logged in, you may do so using the form below if available.

????

Palin's religious beliefs aren't going to do anything for gay rights, no Republicans do but neither do democrats really. Biden stated unequivocally that he does not support gay marriage at the debate but somehow that just flew by without a word from the gay crowd. Obama as president will be like Hillary in 93. He'll try to socialize healthcare, it will go down in flames, and he will be crucified for it. He'll lose all political capital and when the HOPE and CHANGE doesn't happen in his first 100 days, he will lose his messiah status in the eyes of his followers. The country will turn on him and he will have an approval rating that will match what his democratic colleagues are receiving right now. enjoy your failed administration.

I'll take my chances with Obama

Yeah, at least Obama has the right attitude. He may or may not get anything done, but at least he won't make dumb ass comments like changing the constitution to make sure gays can't get married or that all homosexuals will destroy American families and will go to hell. McCain is using the same hope and change promises, what makes you think the same thing won't happen to him? Hilary was shot down because of big money drug companies. We SHOULD have decent fucking health care goddamn it, but because we're so individually minded, we only care about our own paychecks, not those that don't have the money to have the chance at decent health. If McCain is elected, we will probably just have the more of the same. He may say that he's going to change thing, but he's a conservative, how much is he going to change? Obama is the wild card. Nobody really knows what he's going to do when he becomes president. He could send us to hell, but he could also do some real good for this country. Our economy, healthcare, energy, all suck. We paid a huge amount of money for the war and now we're paying for it, so I don't see how great the last administration was. Like I said, I'd prefer a president that wants to change things for the better and fails, than a president that won't even bother to try because of his personal beliefs.

Yeah, at least Obama has the right attitude. He may or may not get anything done, but at least he won't make dumb ass comments like changing the constitution to make sure gays can't get married or that all homosexuals will destroy American families and will go to hell. McCain is using the same hope and change promises, what makes you think the same thing won't happen to him? Hilary was shot down because of big money drug companies. We SHOULD have decent fucking health care goddamn it, but because we're so individually minded, we only care about our own paychecks, not those that don't have the money to have the chance at decent health. If McCain is elected, we will probably just have the more of the same. He may say that he's going to change thing, but he's a conservative, how much is he going to change? Obama is the wild card. Nobody really knows what he's going to do when he becomes president. He could send us to hell, but he could also do some real good for this country. Our economy, healthcare, energy, all suck. We paid a huge amount of money for the war and now we're paying for it, so I don't see how great the last administration was. Like I said, I'd prefer a president that wants to change things for the better and fails, than a president that won't even bother to try because of his personal beliefs.

I am going to say this, and hopefully some will also see why I am voting for Obama. I am 20 years old, and injured my knee three years ago in a school activity. I cannot, without the help of a cane and sometimes using a wheelchair, walk around my house due to my injury. I recently attended a session with my doctor and was told that after 2010 my insurance coverage is being cut off for my injury, due to the government not supporting it more than 5 years. I know that if McCain is voted in as president, I can expect my coverage appeal to be denied in 2010. Having Obama as president stands the possibility of giving me a chance to not only get a job even with my injury, but also have medical coverage if I am unable to afford it. I would rather take my chances on something new, than go for something that has landed the USA in 10 trillion in debt over the last 8 years.

I am going to say this, and hopefully some will also see why I am voting for Obama. I am 20 years old, and injured my knee three years ago in a school activity. I cannot, without the help of a cane and sometimes using a wheelchair, walk around my house due to my injury. I recently attended a session with my doctor and was told that after 2010 my insurance coverage is being cut off for my injury, due to the government not supporting it more than 5 years. I know that if McCain is voted in as president, I can expect my coverage appeal to be denied in 2010. Having Obama as president stands the possibility of giving me a chance to not only get a job even with my injury, but also have medical coverage if I am unable to afford it. I would rather take my chances on something new, than go for something that has landed the USA in 10 trillion in debt over the last 8 years.

For me, it's my brother. He was diagnosed with cancer a few years ago and thankfully went into remission. He's supposed to go get regular check ups to make sure the cancer hasn't come back but because he doesn't have insurance, he can't.

Beyond that, personally, I don't trust McCain (beyond the fact that he's a Republican). He seems to change tactics as soon as the one he's currently using stops working for him, to the point of contradicting himself. At least Obama's been consistent.

obama wont get national health care instated. if it did you would see exactly the same thing happen here as you wouuld in england. 6 month waitlist for the most routine procedures and emergency room lines you will die in before getting seen. the government can not mandate that private practice accepts their form of coverage and most will not because they will only be paid a fraction of what the procedure actualy costs, read: Tricare. you think there is a doctor/nurse shortage now? wait until the obama administration. no profit incentive means no one is going to spend the 8 years in school it takes to become a doctor.

obama wont get national health care instated. if it did you would see exactly the same thing happen here as you wouuld in england. 6 month waitlist for the most routine procedures and emergency room lines you will die in before getting seen. the government can not mandate that private practice accepts their form of coverage and most will not because they will only be paid a fraction of what the procedure actualy costs, read: Tricare. you think there is a doctor/nurse shortage now? wait until the obama administration. no profit incentive means no one is going to spend the 8 years in school it takes to become a doctor.

You seem to have this idea in your head that Obama can do nothing right, so you'll excuse me if I don't jump to take your word for anything.

You seem to have this idea in your head that Obama can do nothing right, so you'll excuse me if I don't jump to take your word for anything.

lrn2history. and i dont care what you think because you're going to vote for him regardless, and the exact same could be said for you. i'm sure his ties to domestic terrorism are just youthful idealism and activism in your head. it's more about anyone who might be reading and not posting. those are the people who are less likely to be personally comitted to a candidate.

lrn2history. and i dont care what you think because you're going to vote for him regardless, and the exact same could be said for you. i'm sure his ties to domestic terrorism are just youthful idealism and activism in your head. it's more about anyone who might be reading and not posting. those are the people who are less likely to be personally comitted to a candidate.

Ties to domestic terrorism? I'm sorry, can I laugh? I think I'm gonna laugh.

Allow Keith Olbermann to put things into perspective

I hate to say it, but PorkChop is right about this. The U.S. healthcare system isn't perfect, but then no system is. Part of the problem is that there's the myth that social healthcare will somehow help the cases like the ones listed; the ones where a normal insurance company won't be willing to help for whatever reason. The problem is that social healthcare is blind to the individual. A person dying has to wait behind a worried mother whose kid has the sniffles because she got there first. (That's a bit of an exaggeration, but eh.) Cases like the ones that have already been described need to compete for resources with cases that would normally be passed off either by or to the insurance companies.

What really needs to be set up is a special needs category that ignores politics and simply deals with people in need. Not poor mothers whose kids have the sniffles, but people who have injuries and ailments, honest ones, who thus can't get insurance to help them with it.

But how you expect Obama to help you get a job, or fix the economy when he helped get it into this mess (ACORN, the organization he used to work for, is not only being invesitigated in 11 states for voter fraud, but was a major lobbyist for subprime loans which help lead to the recent collapses), that I don't understand. Admittedly, I don't expect McCain to suddenly pull off any miracles either. But aside from the way their both pandering to the base at the moment, McCain has proven capable of working across the aisle. I know plenty of conservatives who consider him too liberal. Obama? Obama has done nothing but sit pretty on the left, and caters to some of the worst, and has done nothing to disprove his loyalty to them. Considering we're going to be sitting on a Democrat controlled congress for the majority of the term, I'd much prefer a loyal opposition capable of negotiation, then handing over the reigns to one side, closing my eyes, plugging my ears, and hoping not to get caught in the explosion.

I hate to say it, but PorkChop is right about this. The U.S. healthcare system isn't perfect, but then no system is. Part of the problem is that there's the myth that social healthcare will somehow help the cases like the ones listed; the ones where a normal insurance company won't be willing to help for whatever reason. The problem is that social healthcare is blind to the individual. A person dying has to wait behind a worried mother whose kid has the sniffles because she got there first. (That's a bit of an exaggeration, but eh.) Cases like the ones that have already been described need to compete for resources with cases that would normally be passed off either by or to the insurance companies.

What really needs to be set up is a special needs category that ignores politics and simply deals with people in need. Not poor mothers whose kids have the sniffles, but people who have injuries and ailments, honest ones, who thus can't get insurance to help them with it.

But how you expect Obama to help you get a job, or fix the economy when he helped get it into this mess (ACORN, the organization he used to work for, is not only being invesitigated in 11 states for voter fraud, but was a major lobbyist for subprime loans which help lead to the recent collapses), that I don't understand. Admittedly, I don't expect McCain to suddenly pull off any miracles either. But aside from the way their both pandering to the base at the moment, McCain has proven capable of working across the aisle. I know plenty of conservatives who consider him too liberal. Obama? Obama has done nothing but sit pretty on the left, and caters to some of the worst, and has done nothing to disprove his loyalty to them. Considering we're going to be sitting on a Democrat controlled congress for the majority of the term, I'd much prefer a loyal opposition capable of negotiation, then handing over the reigns to one side, closing my eyes, plugging my ears, and hoping not to get caught in the explosion.

Outside of all political debate, and what who thinks can and can't be done, I didn't like McCain but the thought of him as president didn't really scare me until he picked Palin as his running mate. She is... any intelligent person's worst nightmare. Even if you believe in her general ideology, the woman doesn't have a brain in her head. You know that on the SNL sketch they didn't even change her words, they used them exactly as she said them in the Katie Couric interview. That should say something right there. Just the thought of that brainless, ultra conservative 'hockey mom' in a position to potentially be president, it scares the crap out of me. And as much as people might like the say that McCain's healthy, he's HUMAN. The man can die and then she'll be right there. Can you truly and honestly say that you don't feel that this would be a problem?

When it comes to the Vice Presidents, neither has anything to do with their running mate's actual position. Biden was picked just as much for his ability to appeal to those who wanted experience, as much as Palin was recruited to appeal to the far Right.

That said, if McCain gets elected, we have a decent president who knows how to get stuff done, and can work with the opposition. If he passes, Congress will balk if Palin so much asks for permission to cross the street. (Either that, or they'll wait for a convenient bus to push her in front of.) If Obama or Biden gets elected to office, they could go swinging through the House on a vine while bucknaked, and all anyone would do is applaud. When it comes to idealists like Obama, especially ones with his kind of past and no real substance to judge them on, I demand they at least be in a position where they are forced to negotiate to get things done. It keeps them from doing too much damage. And that goes for the left or right.

Again, why is it that Republicans keep accusing their opponents of being in league with terrorists? Bush did it in both elections, and likes to accuse people of being against freedom or being 'unamerican' when Congress doesn't give him what he wants. I am so sick of the fear tactics I could cry, scream, and throw up all at the same time.

And I have noticed that Obama will start running an add, then a few months later McCain will run an add saying the same things. Good god if you're going to be a fear mongering mud slinging asshole, at least come up with something original...

When it comes to the Vice Presidents, neither has anything to do with their running mate's actual position. Biden was picked just as much for his ability to appeal to those who wanted experience, as much as Palin was recruited to appeal to the far Right.

That said, if McCain gets elected, we have a decent president who knows how to get stuff done, and can work with the opposition. If he passes, Congress will balk if Palin so much asks for permission to cross the street. (Either that, or they'll wait for a convenient bus to push her in front of.) If Obama or Biden gets elected to office, they could go swinging through the House on a vine while bucknaked, and all anyone would do is applaud. When it comes to idealists like Obama, especially ones with his kind of past and no real substance to judge them on, I demand they at least be in a position where they are forced to negotiate to get things done. It keeps them from doing too much damage. And that goes for the left or right.

You didn't address my point. You make the comment like there's no chance of her being president and that they'll keep her in in. That statement alone suggests to me that you realize there's a problem with Palin, even if you try to downplay it. And no matter how healthy McCain might be, there is ALWAYS the chance that something might happen to him. Can you honestly say that you wouldn't have a problem with Palin being president?

Again, why is it that Republicans keep accusing their opponents of being in league with terrorists?

He announced his canidadcy from the house of a convicted serial bomber. We're not talking "Vote for me or the bad guys win. We're talking about a man who commited multiple murders and claims he "didn't do enough"!

Is that clear enough? This is not a scare tactic, this is history!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Ayers

We're not talking Osama Bin Laden, we're talking our own homegrown nutcase, ok? Good grief. I know both sides have their nutcases, odd jobs, and fanatics, and that both sides sling more mud then a backhoe on a rainy day. But don't ignore facts and history just because someone is a good speaker!

You didn't address my point. You make the comment like there's no chance of her being president and that they'll keep her in in. That statement alone suggests to me that you realize there's a problem with Palin, even if you try to downplay it. And no matter how healthy McCain might be, there is ALWAYS the chance that something might happen to him. Can you honestly say that you wouldn't have a problem with Palin being president?

No, I honestly wouldn't, for reasons I already made clear. The President is the Executive Branch. She would have control of the Armed Forces. She would be able to Veto laws, as long as Congress can't muster a 2/3rds majority. She has the power to issue executive orders, which don't actually quite amount to anything with out Congress passing the funding necessary. If Palin ended up as President, we'd have four years of political deadlock, with very little getting done. Yes, she's a right wing christian who thinks she can "pray away the gay". But there's no way that Congress would let her do anything but pray.

Obama? Obama is basically being run on the same "Hey, I'm a nice guy" platform that got Bush elected. He's got the same Congressional majority that Bush had, and he's got quite a bit less experience with a few major black marks on his history that bothers me. Self admitted heavy narcotics use, ties to homebrewed terrorists, and a racist preacher that he somehow missed all the naughty sermons of for two decades? How does that not scare you, especially since he's got top billing on the ticket? Obama is just as radical as she is, more likely to actually be able to do something stupid, and won't have a congress to oppose him!

Self admitted heavy narcotics use,

Nothing wrong with that.

ties to homebrewed terrorists, and a racist preacher that he somehow missed all the naughty sermons of for two decades? How does that not scare you, especially since he's got top billing on the ticket? Obama is just as radical as she is, more likely to actually be able to do something stupid, and won't have a congress to oppose him!

You obviously didn't watch the Olbermann thing I posted. If you're going to point out that Obama met a terrorist its only fair to acknowledge that Palin has ties to a radical from Alaska who wanted to remove the state from the union as well as a preacher who got his start by being a witch hunter in Kenya.

And as for McCain, if you want 4 more years of Bush then go ahead and vote for the bald fuck who walks like a penguin cause the gooks did some funky shit to his legs. He'll probably just fucking die and we'll have hockymom dumb fuck Palin as our president. Also, I'm not voting for any dumbshit who takes his nickname after a Top Gun character, how lame is that.

As for the Obama Ayers connection, allow me to post he portion of the wikipedia article that you posted that mentions it.

"Bill Ayers and Barack Obama at one time lived in the same neighborhood in the city of Chicago, and both had worked on education reform in the state of Illinois. The two met "at a luncheon meeting about school reform."[41] Obama was named to the Chicago Annenberg Challenge Project Board of Directors to oversee the distribution of grants in Chicago. Later in 1995, Ayers hosted "a coffee" for "Mr. Obama's first run for office."[42] The two served on the board of a community anti-poverty group, the Woods Fund of Chicago, between 2000 and 2002, during which time the board met twelve times.[42] In April 2001, Ayers contributed $200 to Obama's re-election fund to the Illinois State Senate.[41] Since 2002, there has been little linking Obama and Ayers.[42] The senator said in September 2008 that he hadn't "seen him in a year-and-a-half."[43] In February 2008, Obama spokesman Bill Burton released a statement from the senator about the relationship between the two: "Senator Obama strongly condemns the violent actions of the Weathermen group, as he does all acts of violence. But he was an eight-year-old child when Ayers and the Weathermen were active, and any attempt to connect Obama with events of almost forty years ago is ridiculous."[41] CNN's review of project records found nothing to suggest anything inappropriate in the non-profit projects in which the two men were involved.[44] Internal reviews by The New York Times, The Washington Post, Time magazine, The Chicago Sun-Times, The New Yorker and The New Republic "have said that their reporting doesn't support the idea that Obama and Ayers had a close relationship".[45]"

As you can see, Obama really didn't have much to do with the man. Meeting someone or even being friends with them doens't mean shit. I'm friends with a Christian despite the fact that I despise religion and everything it stands for. That doesn't mean I share his fucking views or agree with his delusional fairy tale bullshit. These politicians on both sides can't be responsible for every little action or statement from their friends, preachers, family, associates or what the fuck ever. Jesus motherfucking Christ.

No, I honestly wouldn't, for reasons I already made clear.

You didn't address the point because I think you know I'm right. That the chance of her being president is not a good thing, you've just convinced yourself that that chance isn't there. If you remember I said, irrespective of ideology, but just on the fact that her knowledge base is nil.

And can I ask, how could four years of 'political deadlock, with very little getting done' be anything but a bad thing.

Obama? Obama is basically being run on the same "Hey, I'm a nice guy" platform that got Bush elected. He's got the same Congressional majority that Bush had, and he's got quite a bit less experience with a few major black marks on his history that bothers me. Self admitted heavy narcotics use, ties to homebrewed terrorists, and a racist preacher that he somehow missed all the naughty sermons of for two decades? How does that not scare you, especially since he's got top billing on the ticket? Obama is just as radical as she is, more likely to actually be able to do something stupid, and won't have a congress to oppose him!

-Self admitted heavy narcotics use: even if that's true, who cares? Past is past

-ties to homebrewed terrorists: if your going to call Obama on connections to a man who 40 years ago was a 'terrorist', went to prison, did his time and was reformed, then you should at least mention Palin's connection to her own little problem.

Can I just also add a quote right at the top of the article you yourself linked: "He is now a professor in the College of Education at the University of Illinois at Chicago, holding the title of Distinguished Professor."

I'd think if there were some pretty evident and serious issues with the man, there's no way he'd be a professor and definitely not a distinguished one.

And can I add a few more quotes, from the same article that I think speak for themselves. Quotes that you yourself partially used:

"In the ensuing years, Ayers has repeatedly avowed that when he said he had "no regrets" and that "we didn't do enough" he was speaking only in reference to his efforts to stop the United States from waging the Vietnam War, efforts which he has described as ". . . inadequate [as] the war dragged on for a decade."[21] Ayers has maintained that the two statements were not intended to imply a wish they had set more bombs."

"On September 9, 2008, journalist Jake Tapper reported on the comic strip in Bill Ayers's blog explaining the soundbite: "The one thing I don't regret is opposing the war in Vietnam with every ounce of my being.... When I say, 'We didn't do enough,' a lot of people rush to think, 'That must mean, "We didn't bomb enough shit."' But that's not the point at all. It's not a tactical statement, it's an obvious political and ethical statement. In this context, 'we' means 'everyone.'" "

-As for his preacher: were you a member of the church? did you attend for 20 years? You act like the man been preaching this for 20 years. The earliest I'd seen any record of it was 2006.

And he doesn't scare me at all, because he stands where I do on most issues. Yeah, he's got a couple I don't like but he's the better choice. This country needs to move away from the status quo, because clearly it's not working.