Click Here!

Injuries, illnesses, and etc!

Surely I’m not the only one who wonders “is this medically possible or am I exposing my n00bitude?” Alas, I couldn’t find a thread devoted to such a thing! So...uh...I guess if you find yourself with questions regarding injuries, illnesses, and other such junk...ask here?

On 7/26/2020 at 9:10 PM, Ghost-of-a-Chance said:

Surely I’m not the only one who wonders “is this medically possible or am I exposing my n00bitude?” Alas, I couldn’t find a thread devoted to such a thing! So...uh...I guess if you find yourself with questions regarding injuries, illnesses, and other such junk...ask here?

Sounds interesting.

• 1 month later...

Okay, I’m first up.

If a human being in a spacesuit gets too close to a star before rescue. Ala inadvertently vented off into space already in a spacesuit but too late to reach the escape pods from a asteroid collision with the space station  and essentially slingshotted towards the sun.

I know there should be some thermal/radiation damage. But is there anything else I should be aware of?

13 hours ago, InvidiaRed said:

If a human being in a spacesuit gets too close to a star before rescue. Ala inadvertently vented off into space already in a spacesuit but too late to reach the escape pods from a asteroid collision with the space station  and essentially slingshotted towards the sun.

I know there should be some thermal/radiation damage. But is there anything else I should be aware of?

Actually I think you can forget about thermal...I remember reading that for a standard space suit the heat is lethal about 5 million kilometers from the sun but the radiation from the sun will kill you in about 75 million kilometers distance. As a reference Earth is 150 million kilometers from the sun. Getting close to the sun is simply really really hard. From another point of view,..slingshoting towards the sun will take so very long time that the person will die of hunger long before the sun becomes an issue.

If you want some kind twist for your missing the escape pods scenario I think the solar wind could be a better bet. The solar wind changes with erruptions from the sun and when the magnet poles of the earth changes and can kill the electronics of spacecrafts. Arranging a rescue before a upcoming solarwind erruption wipe out the life support of the spacesuit could allow from serious drama.

That is an excellent idea.

She’s broadcasting on all frequencies in a polite manner. The problem is entire system is an unofficial war-zone and she may or maynot be responsible for grief for all sides involved.

“ I don’t want to alarm anyone but Hesperides is gone and my transponder is broadcasting on all frequencies. I am your hostess and inadvertant dj for this evening and the first song of the evening is Rescue Me. Followed by I Need A Hero”

• 8 months later...
4 hours ago, Sparrow said:

Mm, washing the wound extensively, skin grafts, restricted mobility, yeah, that sounds about right with what I’d thought of already.

Chemical burns tend to be worse because acids will continue doing damage until washed off/ neutralized.

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, InvidiaRed said:

Right? But the character in question is a regenerative immortal type.

Right, right. In which case they’re probably going to be really pushing the limits of their regenerative capabilities. I mean, if it was a direct hit on them then a large portion of their body is gonna have to grow back from pink mist. If it missed and detonated say behind them, and they merely had their organs liquified by the shockwave, flesh shredded by shrapnel, and skin burned off by the explosion, they’ll have a bit more to work with.

In any case, it’s really gonna hurt. What kind of shell was it?

Just now, Sparrow said:

Right, right. In which case they’re probably going to be really pushing the limits of their regenerative capabilities. I mean, if it was a direct hit on them then a large portion of their body is gonna have to grow back from pink mist. If it missed and detonated say behind them, and they merely had their organs liquified by the shockwave, flesh shredded by shrapnel, and skin burned off by the explosion, they’ll have a bit more to work with.

In any case, it’s really gonna hurt. What kind of shell was it?

I’m gonna go with a standard shell from a panzer 3. I’m checking specs right now.

12 minutes ago, InvidiaRed said:

I’m gonna go with a standard shell from a panzer 3. I’m checking specs right now.

I don’t really suppose it’d make much of a difference if it was a high-explosive or armour-piercing shell, nor how big it is. Unless it’s something massive like the 152mm from a KV-2, but then those were Soviet tanks.

Just now, Sparrow said:

I don’t really suppose it’d make much of a difference if it was a high-explosive or armour-piercing shell, nor how big it is. Unless it’s something massive like the 152mm from a KV-2, but then those were Soviet tanks.

True but I want to be accurate at least. Epic fantasy meets an alternate WW2 decaying timeline.

2 minutes ago, InvidiaRed said:

True but I want to be accurate at least. Epic fantasy meets an alternate WW2 decaying timeline.

I meant more because of how getting hit by a tank shell is gonna turn you onto a smear on the landscape no matter what size it is.

Edited by Sparrow

1 minute ago, Sparrow said:

I meant more because of how getting hit by a tank shell is gonna turn you onto a smear on the landscape no matter what size it is.

Looking through some battle pics does confirm the smear on the ground bit.

Just now, InvidiaRed said:

Looking through some battle pics does confirm the smear on the ground bit.

Yeesh. I wouldn’t have thought you’d need photographic evidence to figure that part out, but whatever works for you.

Honestly, if something like this can’t kill your character for good, then I doubt anything ever could, so you might want to keep that in mind going forwards if you’ve got anything planned.