Click Here!

Writers Choice

Guest Zanthious

Guest Zanthious

Just a chance to sign off on your favorite fics right now, of yours, someone elses, or both. And the reasons why. What makes it good to you? And what would you like to see more of. Good old wrters discourse.

So, what are your pics, and why?

ooookay..... ;)

the first must for me - a PLOT. I'm bored with writing about nothing just to put two or three sex scenes in it, for example.

the second must - language level. this is obvious. the idea itself is not enough, it has to be served approprietaly :)

generally, I prefer adult stories to teenage ones. maybe because I've left adolescence behind quite some time ago <_< it's difficult for me to empathize with high-schoolers fighting their emotional battles. mature dramas - yep, this is something for me :)

and saying 'dramas' I don't mean 'melodramas'. I'm into strong people and tough reality, especially when it comes to emotional storms.

well, I'm trying hard to implement those points in my writing. so far I carry on with just one story - The Jigsaw.

examples of good writing, according to criteria mentioned above:

- In the company of shadows

- Perseverance

Guest Zanthious

I agree. I have a hard time getting into younger toned stories as well. I try to keep mine a bit more on edge. Mine tend to build up a little slower than some, but I do it because I want the characters to be rich, and emersive. And the plot in mine also follows that pattern. Right now, I just finished reading Gatsbys' Bad Moon Rising. Enjoying it so far it so far.

Mine tend to build up a little slower than some, but I do it because I want the characters to be rich, and emersive. And the plot in mine also follows that pattern.

I can sign your words :)

I do exactly the same thing.

oh, and one more reflection:

very often I read stories about characters falling in love with people I can't imagine being attractive. to anyone.

yes, I know, tastes and so on...

but somehow I can't believe that an active, strong person, who is a dream of an opposite sex, would be head over heels in love with some boring wimp who is afraid of everything, cries over trifles and is permanently unable to take care of his/her own matters.

c'mon - let's be real ;)

I like it when characters mutual attraction is more or less credible.

Guest Zanthious

I can see it going either way. people like to cheer for the underdog, and it comes in many shapes and sizes. But, I do like an element of reality you could say, in my relationships when they have to do with what I read. By that I mean, I like it to make a little sense. So, I agree...lol

generally, I prefer adult stories to teenage ones. maybe because I've left adolescence behind quite some time ago it's difficult for me to empathize with high-schoolers fighting their emotional battles. mature dramas - yep, this is something for me

and saying 'dramas' I don't mean 'melodramas'. I'm into strong people and tough reality, especially when it comes to emotional storms.

What about teens dealing with real world problems? I wrote a high school fic that kind of...evolved. By the time it was done, there'd been kidnappings, date rape, the NSA was involved...

http://original.adult-fanfiction.org/story.php?no=544194562

What about teens dealing with real world problems?

oh, it depends.

I just said that I'm rarely interested. even if teenagers deal with serious matters. it's rare that a high school fic gets my attention. well, gets it and keeps it, which is much more difficult ;)

but sure - if it's done well, if it's wise, if it's credible, I'll give it a shot, why not :)

Hahahaha, its more a crack fic than anything else - as in I must have been on crack when I wrote it. The plot lines vary, but admittedly center around geek/jock rivalries... Ah well, my first effort, so one worth criticizing, if nothing else.

Guest Zanthious

I've read some that had youth based stories that ended up very well written. And the "Geek vs Jock" thing can realy be tied into more mature life. It seems alot of times like that kind of tension follows some people out of highschool, into college, and beyond. So, it can be a good staging ground for further things with the characters.

Well, true...if it wasn't for the geeks running around with everything from katanas to SoBe bottles, the jocks using trashcans and super glue, the cheerleaders running around with grade A narcotics, the other cheerleaders running around with a pet black bear...

I'm pleased with all my fics, but I think Blue Alert is my best work so far. I feel like I really nailed the characterisation, kept it light and wrote a decent lead-up to the sex.

I'd like to see more Transformers sex-fic that's lighter and even funny. I know I've written some dark and twisted stuff but it'd be nice to see something a little different on the front page of the section.

Zan:

I wanted to say that I have started reading "Innocence Broken" and I am truly enjoying it so far. I love the gritty, scary realism of fear mingled with something else, as well. I often write of kidnappings, innocent women ending up on the wrong side of some scary individuals and topics such as that. Even when writing in "fanfic" (Such as Soprano's or Harry Potter) my writing tends to be very dark, very gritty and very viceral. However, there is also backstory to bring the readers in.

To me, I love a long tale that can drag a reader into a wonderous journey that makes you enjoy the tale, no matter how gritty or dark it can get. But then again, I am an older writer (over 40) so writing about youth-teen topics just is not something that appeals to me... But then again, even when I was a teen I was writing very adult themed gritty and dark stories that had nothing to do with teens or my youth. In another life I think I was a hitman. :(

Warmly,

Kanashii

for me, a good story has plot, interesting characters and it continues to draw you in, no matter how many times you read it. and i would love to put my own story up here and say it's one of my faves, but i'm really actually not that into pimping my own story. so i'll pimp somebody else's. nomme de plume has written a plethora of incredible stories, but my favorite of piece of work from her would have to be here's to the fox in the naruto fandom. it's incredible. the plot's original and fresh. the characters are wonderful. and i can't tell you how many times i've read this story.

Alright then...You and I Canterro...We can be Murder Incorporated 2. Actually, I'll let you have the honors of "enforcement" and doing the hits. I'll be the quiet Don-Padrona behind the scenes. B)

Warmly,

Kanashii

oh, c'mon... I'm a freelancer :D

pride, freedom and a sharp blade! yeah... :P

(alternatively - a quick bullet :P )

well, but you can hire me, if you want :D

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite story of my own is Shinji's Nightmare Cataclysm. Despite the fact that looking back some chapters could have been improved some what I think I really did a good job of degrading the concepts of humanity and morality. I've recently started updating it again and its near completion.

My favorite story by another author would be the Date Rape series by Kingoftheseahorses. It was really that series of fics that inspired me to begin writing on AFF.