Click Here!

I'll Review Your Story

KassX

The title says it all. You know what sucks? Spending hours and hours toiling away at a story that you know will A. never make you any money and B. is taking time away from, you know, all the other important things you should probably be doing besides describing Severus Snape's balls, to the point where you think the only reason you still do it because deep down, you're some kind of weird masochist and you must have serious problems.

Then all of a sudden, you get a review, and the clouds part.

As a fellow writer, I get you. Since I have some free time on my hands, and I want to liven the forum up a bit, I'll review any story you throw at me. I like originals the most, but I'll review fanfiction too. If I am unfamiliar with the fandom, I'll review the writing style and sex scenes.

Regarding my tolerance level of sex: Lol. Take your best shot. I like it graphic.

No GoT (sorry, that series and I don't get along)

Please put in a link to your story.

WARNING: I'll be honest.

Other than that, play ball! One free review. No strings attached. Must be your lucky day, huh? ;)

Edited by KassX

I'm gonna try that; I just wanted to extend a hand to any forum users who may be feeling down in the dumps :)

Today I saw a story with 13 chapters that was put up just yesterday, with no reviews. I feel terrible because the author probably worked really hard on them, but large content dumps tend to scare readers away!

Edited by KassX

That's true! I try to average about one update a week (like a TV show!), but sometimes I get really excited about a chapter I just finished, and it's hard to wait XD Of course, having a backlog of chapters is great for when you get busy and can't write as much. I think it's better to update at a regular pace than update a lot at one time and then have several month long hiatuses! (that's what I say, of course, but I'm guilty of long hiatuses too XD)

Edited by KassX

Oh, my potter fanfic (WIP, different penname, different website) has been languishing too, not certain if I'll get around to working on it, started in 2003 and last updated in 2012, but it needs a rewrite to at least break up the chapters from when I thought 25-50kwords were a good thing (it's not, IMO.)

But yeah, regular updates are good. I find that I like that from the reader/viewer perspective, be it a a youtube channel or a fic, because that lets me know it's still being worked on, that I'm not going to invest time in reading a WIP to only have it loiter on a "to be continued" for years, or longer.

Woah, you have a fic from 2003? You must be a really experienced writer... 25k long chapters? Lol, that's a fourth of a standard fantasy novel; I'd probably run at the sight of it XD I think I have an old Naruto fanfic from a few years ago that I don't plan to get back to... I still hate leaving things unfinished, you know? Even if I don't much care for Naruto anymore.

Back when I was on FF, sometimes I'd ONLY read from the completed lists, since dropped fics were so common (then I turned around and became the author of one >.>).

FF's the other site. I started that fic in 2003, getting up to (IIRC) 108 chapters/660 kwords, before rewriting it into 11 chapters/500k now, and it's still a WIP. And that fic is a sequel to my first fic, 40chapters/179k posted in under two months in 2003. I can't bring either of them to AFF.net because I started that first fic by basing it off another fanfic (I was impatient for an update and the original has since been abandoned about a chapter or two after I started writing). I consider myself inexperienced, though, just my nature, especially before that first fic, I thought I hated writing (buying my mother's insistence that I hated it) -- I've since realized that I hate compelled writing. Now, freeform creative writing, that I love :)

So yeah, dropped fics are annoying. In some cases, understandable (ie. an excellent author with severe medical issues), other times, not so much. Most are probably like me, intending to get back to my potter fic, someday, likely when I have a good looking physique, my house is truly clean, a unicorn is grazing in my front yard, and pigs have learned to fly. It's on my to-do list, really.

Did I read that correctly? 108 chapters? O.O That's dedication, right there (for your readers too...)! You must have been a serious potterhead XD Sometimes I worry that my story is getting too long, but you made me feel better.

Yep. Once I become a famous writer, I'll go back to my roots and finish all my old fics. Then I'll write a fic about finishing all those fics XD

This sounds like a great idea. I know that there's a group who does this but they're a private group. However, maybe it would be allowed for you to gather a couple more people who would be willing to give out honest reviews and concrit to those wanting it. I'd assume someone who are like you, meaning that they would only have a problem reviewing either a certain fandom or a type of story. For example, I wouldn't review stories that have Minor but everything else is fair game!

DP has a point, to go hunt for stories that have several chapters but like 5 reviews. But you never know who is looking for a review/concrit or who is simply writing to be writing and doesn't care for reviews.

I'll think about it, lol! Honesty scares the bejesus out of me; I'm just getting over a harsh review on another site and I would need for my nerves to settle before it happens again! XD

Totally! I don't want anything in return, just to help some writers get some good concrit with some free time. I remember how important feedback was to me when I started out. I would definitely welcome anyone who wanted to join me, and of course, anyone who wants a story reviewed.

Well hun, there's a difference between honesty and pointless cruelty. I gain no pleasure from the latter XD So don't be shy! If you ever feel like you need another experienced eye on your story, let me know. Hey, I might even become a fan! ;)

OP: Finished stories only, or WIP's okay?

WIPs are totally okay! Post away!

Perhaps not one of my stories: Recently I'd answered Nomadic's request for someone to proofread the latest chapter of her story, and even though I'm not so much into the genre I offered. However and I'm heartsick about it I just wasn't able to get into it enough to give it the kind of attention it needed. So if the description of her "Eye of the Storm" has any appeal then maybe she could really use the encouragement.

The short & long of it is that I kind of suck and am hoping that the universe will make something nice happen for her to make up for my complete failure. :(

Perhaps not one of my stories: Recently I'd answered Nomadic's request for someone to proofread the latest chapter of her story, and even though I'm not so much into the genre I offered. However and I'm heartsick about it I just wasn't able to get into it enough to give it the kind of attention it needed. So if the description of her "Eye of the Storm" has any appeal then maybe she could really use the encouragement.

The short & long of it is that I kind of suck and am hoping that the universe will make something nice happen for her to make up for my complete failure. :(

Don't be so hard on yourself; you were only trying to help! I'll check out her story as soon as possible and hopefully, I can do her a good turn in your stead! XD Longer stories may take me longer to leave a review (for obvious reasons).

I don't mind nominations like, 'this person is so good, please read their story and give them attention!', so post away, friends.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

If you want, feel free to leave a review to Latte With Cream: http://cartoon.adult-fanfiction.org/story.php?no=600094937

This is meant to be my tribute to former WWOEC artist DTiberius; I look forward to your review of it.

• 3 weeks later...

I’d love for you to take a look at   A Beautiful Mess, http://original.adult-fanfiction.org/story.php?no=600108224

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I could also use reviews for my latest Rosario + Vampire story, “Long December.”  It’s the last installment of a series, so you should probably read the rest if you haven’t already; I’ll understand if that’s way too much of a commitment.

http://anime.adult-fanfiction.org/story.php?no=600055808

PS  Did you ever get around to reviewing the other story I posted above?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is a gorgeous idea! I agree, you bust butt to write something and have finally decided you might be a masochist...then you get a review *ray of sun while chorus sings*

I’ve only just started posting on AFF (first chap of a Bleach fanfic; yaoi RenBya) so unless you would be willing to bolster my reviews on ff, I’ll just wait and take you up on that later, since you said ONE free review ;) *tucks free review card in pocket*

The concept is awesome, though. This is a lovely idea, to offer concrit reviews for other authors. I am in awe of your willingness to give that pretty ray of sunshine to someone who might need it :)