Click Here!

MAJOR software update

Firstly, I'd like to welcome all the new users we're seeing daily! Glad to have you here! Please do familiarize yourself with the Terms of Service and Content Guidelines. This IS a moderated archive.

Current Reading List

This has been updated to display the last time an author updated a story you're following. So, click your current reading list, and see who's updated!

Database Character Conversion

As anyone who goes into the comics subdomain knows, I've been having terrible issues with this particular chapter table. I FINALLY got it to convert, and convert properly, so I'll now be able to go in and fix all the records that were truncated because they were corrupted to begin with.

READ ONLY Mode

The archive will be put in READ ONLY mode on the 24th and 25th of this month, for parts of each day. This is so manta2g can do a MAJOR software update. What this means is that while the site is in read only mode, you cannot login, add or edit anything.

Funding Status

Introducing, the donation kitty! For years, I disabled a direct button/link to donate, as for a very long time, there was fund raising via “let's push the panic button”. So I made it very low key for a long time. Understand that donations are NEVER required, but they sure do help! If you've used the kitty to donate, and want to be added to the supporter's page, please do email with your pen name, so I can do that.

Deletion notification

For Accounts

When deleting an account because the user is underage, a plagiarist, or whatever else would be a reason to delete one entirely, we do NOT send a notification.

For Stories

When deleting stories, this is done for non compliance with the ToS. Stories are HIDDEN long before they are deleted. The user is told there is an issue, and given 7 days to comply before the story is hidden. Upon hiding, the story is left for 30 or more days (it ends up being more when I have a heavy work load IRL) before it is deleted. If the issue is CORRECTED, the story is restored to public view.

Disposable email

Disposable emails are not checked, and we don’t allow registration with them. Upon finding an account registered with a disposable email address, it is deleted.

Disabling anonymous reviews

As a matter of course, while the authors cannot choose this for themselves, anon reviews are enabled on a daily basis. If you don’t WANT to have this enabled, email at technicalsupport@adult-fanfiction.org with a link to your profile, and a subject line of “disable anon reviews”. Bear in mind that when I do this, as this is controlled by the profile, ALL your stories will then require that a user be logged in to leave a review.

Please remember that the authors you read do like to hear from you! Leave them a review or two, and let them know how they're doing!

DemonGoddess061

• 2 weeks later...

n30 wonders if this read only mode will make things easier to read on mobile.

The focus will be on getting the main site running properly. Once we've gotten the main site fully updated, and everything has been tweaked, at that point DG might be able to work on mobile skins. But that project will not happen right away, so hang in there...

Guest Roseanna

I have been reading an older story today, and I just finished chapter 7 of it. I went to read chapter 8, but I get the same "wall of brown". I tried to reload chapter 6 (which I've already read earlier), and still the same wall of brown. I think the "Read Only" mode has disabled the ability to access older stories.

It's disabled access to all stories. Our coder needs to do this in order to properly roll out the new code.

Please be patient. I think the new features being implemented will be worth a couple of days of disruption. :)

Firstly, I'd like to welcome all the new users we're seeing daily! Glad to have you here! Please do familiarize yourself with the Terms of Service and Content Guidelines. This IS a moderated archive.

MAJOR Software Update

• Turn anonymous reviews on or off
    In your control panel, in the “Edit Profile” area, you now have the ability to turn your reviews to allow for anonymous, or to turn OFF anonymous reviews.

• Tags are now in their own area
    Before, we had a section for the summary AND tags, which was limited in space to 240 characters, including spaces. The tags are in their OWN field, and the field limit is up to 240 spaces, including characters.

• Summaries can now be up to 600 characters long.

• Can add up to two other authors as co-authors
    When adding a co-authored story, input the user ID number of your co-author. The posting author has main control of the story. The co-authors can edit chapters, and the story will also show on their profile.

• Contributed chapters (round robins) can be edited by their author.
    In a round robin, where an author contributes a chapter, the contributing author can now go back and edit their own contribution.

• New story manager
    The story manager is set the way it was before, with the listing by subdomain.

• File uploads of any kind in the archive is disabled
    The rich text editor is the default, you may not upload text or html files any longer.

I can add categories again!!!!
I expect I'll be busy with adding the things that have been asked of me since the ability to do so was suspended for this part of the rewrite.

Comics Subdomain issues

As many of you have seen and reported to me, when I did the character set conversion, I had loads and loads of trouble with the comics chapter table. After what turned into well over 100 hours with a backup copy of the table, I finally managed to get the character set to convert. My issue with that table was that there were upwards of 11 different character sets IN the data. (I stopped counting after I hit 11) The end result of this was massive data corruption. So, I will be transferring the data from the converted table to the new table, one story at a time. As this is direct database work, it's just me that does it.

Thank you for your continued patience, I will get this done as quickly as I can.

Donations

I'm actually going to do something I don't normally do here, and ask that you please donate so I can send manta at least a part of her fee! We'll have enough in the kitty to pay the site expenses for June, but not much left over. The good thing is, thanks to the donations received to date, with the inception of the “donation kitty”, the MOST I've had for out of pocket expenses for the site has been $65.00! That is a HUGE improvement of an average of $110 each and every month for the four or so years. The kitty is in the header, just click the kitty!

Please remember that the authors you read do like to hear from you! Leave them a review or two, and let them know how they're doing!

No Story-Stats on Profile Page?

I used to use this page:

8ea0bf485963200.jpg

to quickly reference my story-stats, but as of today’s update, it no longer works. So, I went looking for the new version, which I can only assume is this:

729a06485963232.jpg

Only to find that it doesn’t display any story-stats at all, like it does in the actual story lists:

24a4ac485963472.jpg

So, am I missing something here, or do I really need to trawl through the story lists now in order to see the stats on each of my stories? Because if so, I gotta say that’s a pretty big step backwards in terms of user convenience from where I sit.

That first profile format was discontinued back in 2012. It exists as a read-only document at the moment, but will be going away altogether at some point.

No, you don't need to trawl through the story lists. The profile has been like that for at least the last two years. Yes, that data will be added back to the profile listing, but in the meantime, if you click your story, all that information is in the heading.

The review count data will be returning. The ratings will not, at least not in their former incarnation. However, the priority has been getting the actual database updated. Without that, there's nothing requiring a display of story stats.

Be patient, and we'll get things tweaked, once we know the major functions are working as intended.

I'm not sure you're aware of it yet, but there's a problem with summaries and codes. The name Hermione lost the Herm in summaries and is down to "ione", and I noticed that when said name was in the summary, all my codes have vanished and/or are replaced with "gotry". I didn't want to alter it myself yet in case I make things worse by changing things now, seeing how you're working on the datebase.

Nerys, thank you for letting us know.

Codes have been migrated to a separate field, but it's not yet searchable, as far as I can tell. I have a few artifacts left in my stories as well, but in the Latest Stories pages, the codes are in their separate field. We just need to create the search field now. I'm pretty sure the missing "Herm" in Hermione is because we have a code, "herm" for hermaphrodite. If the codes were moved via a global search, that would do it.

I'm pretty sure it's safe to fix the Hermione issue, and remove any lingering partial tags from the summary field. When you edit the story details, check the new field for the story codes, and make sure you have the right tags. I suspect "bigotry" might have been moved as "bi".

Nerys, thank you for letting us know.

Codes have been migrated to a separate field, but it's not yet searchable, as far as I can tell. I have a few artifacts left in my stories as well, but in the Latest Stories pages, the codes are in their separate field. We just need to create the search field now. I'm pretty sure the missing "Herm" in Hermione is because we have a code, "herm" for hermaphrodite. If the codes were moved via a global search, that would do it.

I'm pretty sure it's safe to fix the Hermione issue, and remove any lingering partial tags from the summary field. When you edit the story details, check the new field for the story codes, and make sure you have the right tags. I suspect "bigotry" might have been moved as "bi".

That's what happened, as in order to migrate the tags, it was done via a script, and searched for tags that currently exist within the summary, as they appear in our tag listing.

Again, unless I'm missing something, no, it isn't; the only thing in the story header is the hit-count.

bfe1d7485970847.jpg

I checked back on screens we have of other profiles (in the HoS), and the reviews are listed as "read reviews" they've BEEN listed as "read reviews" for at least the last couple of years. You still see the story original date and the update date and time. The review TOTAL will be restored to the profile at a later time. The link to the review board is still there as well.

Guest CrimsonRayven

Hi,

I don't know if I'm the only one with this problem but the search function is not working for me. It just keeps popping up with no stories found no matter what I put in. An example being even if I put in Kagome in the search for Inuyasha stories it still comes out no stories found, which you would think there would be.

The search function is not back yet. Our coder, manta2g, and DG are aware of the search issue. Be patient, and I'm sure it'll be back as quickly as possible.

Okay, thanks for letting me know I can change it myself. I suppose this also means that the archive suddenly has an influx of hermaphrodite stories. :D

Scary, isn't it? ;) All my MCD stories grew an MC. The updated story manager makes it fast, though, since tags are now in their own little field.

Guest George Glass

That first profile format was discontinued back in 2012. It exists as a read-only document at the moment, but will be going away altogether at some point.

Mine worked perfectly until a couple of days ago. Now it looks like top picture from Boo's first post, ie, no stories, just a set of empty stats:

Rated [] -:- Chapters [0] -:- Published [] -:- Updated [] -:- Edited [--] -:- Hits [] -:- Reviews [0] -:- Average / Total Vote [ - / 0]

So those pages are gone for good?