Click Here!

What happened to Eon's stories?!

Guest Anastacia Lynn

I'm not showing any record of staff action, so I can only assume that the author removed the stories. Given that this was in the Originals subdomain, it may have been taken down to be published, as has happened with some of our authors in the past.

Which is exactly why I never post any of my original story works anywhere public. I feel for Eon since I had it happen to me in 2003 when I posted some original story chapters at the Urbis writer's site. :( I hope this does not sour her creativity toward writing original stories in the future, plus I hope she wins if she goes after said thief.

Yeah, I haven't been posting stories long but have seen it happen to a few people. I figure that if I post stuff here my stories are gonna get downloaded and maybe even passed around. I don't really mind but I can see why Eon is pissed; if someone started selling my stuff on Amazon I think I might get pissed too!

Guest Rescue25

Yeah, I haven't been posting stories long but have seen it happen to a few people. I figure that if I post stuff here my stories are gonna get downloaded and maybe even passed around. I don't really mind but I can see why Eon is pissed; if someone started selling my stuff on Amazon I think I might get pissed too!

Damn right I download your stuff. A fair amount of the time I am where internet connections do not exist and I do like to reread yoir stuff. I do/have not passed it to anyone. The other site also taught me a lesson.

Fortunately there was enough of a heads up that I was able to download a few of the better authors for my reading pleasure.

It's like taking a favorite book along to pass the time!

B

I write original stuff that I post here, and sometimes on my blog as well. I also write original work that I actually publish. So, honestly, I have very mixed feelings as an author about people downloading my work. Just my tuppence, but I'd actually rather that people didn't download my online works. I really do mean it when I say that all rights are reserved by me.

I don't think people have any real honor left in many quarters, Bronx. They see too many Banker gangsters/Wall Street Thugs getting bailed by the Feds instead of going to jail for rigging toxic assets. Now a lot of folks really think they can do all sorts of bad things and get by with it is my thought. I hope you will take precautions because the few things I've managed to read for you are all good reading. I'd hate for you to be the next victim.

Damn right I download your stuff. A fair amount of the time I am where internet connections do not exist and I do like to reread yoir stuff. I do/have not passed it to anyone. The other site also taught me a lesson.

Fortunately there was enough of a heads up that I was able to download a few of the better authors for my reading pleasure.

It's like taking a favorite book along to pass the time!

B

A: I have known a couple people who find they are going into non internet areas, so would like to take a good book with them so to speak. As a writer, I can understand the intention to do no wrong in your situation. One of my friends asks me to email her my stories when she plans to go out of town to visit her daughter because said daughter does not have internet. In your case, there is no underhanded interest in profiting off of another writer's efforts.

However, not everyone who is downloading, is doing so for honorable reasons, and it is very unfair to the authors when someone steals their original tales to publish elsewhere as their own material. I personally would have left my stolen work up long enough to prove I was the original owner, and gone after the thief in such a case. I'm sure AFF has a time stamping system that would have made it clear who the real author was once the plagiarizer got reported also. Then again, after being robbed of characters and other forms of intellectual property, and doing everything wrong the last time, I learned how to stop others the right way. Proving ownership is the hardest part of stopping plagiarists.

I don't think people have any real honor left in many quarters, Bronx. They see too many Banker gangsters/Wall Street Thugs getting bailed by the Feds instead of going to jail for rigging toxic assets. Now a lot of folks really think they can do all sorts of bad things and get by with it is my thought. I hope you will take precautions because the few things I've managed to read for you are all good reading. I'd hate for you to be the next victim.

I've had to file takedown notices for my published work. I found it on pirate sites, and did get it taken down. It's the stuff I'm publishing online, for free. I mean, really... just read it, and if you're needing to download it to read offline, just tell me. I'm pretty approachable, I think, and more than likely, I won't have an issue with it. It's the surreptitious stuff that bugs me.

However, not everyone who is downloading, is doing so for honorable reasons, and it is very unfair to the authors when someone steals their original tales to publish elsewhere as their own material. I personally would have left my stolen work up long enough to prove I was the original owner, and gone after the thief in such a case. I'm sure AFF has a time stamping system that would have made it clear who the real author was once the plagiarizer got reported also. Then again, after being robbed of characters and other forms of intellectual property, and doing everything wrong the last time, I learned how to stop others the right way. Proving ownership is the hardest part of stopping plagiarists.

We do indeed have a timestamp of when a story was first published with us, and provided you haven't taken it down and reposted it, that date will be there forever. FFN does the same thing, and so does AO3. Any reputable site will do so, I find.

I've had to file takedown notices for my published work. I found it on pirate sites, and did get it taken down. It's the stuff I'm publishing online, for free. I mean, really... just read it, and if you're needing to download it to read offline, just tell me. I'm pretty approachable, I think, and more than likely, I won't have an issue with it. It's the surreptitious stuff that bugs me.

A: It is sad you have to file take down notices. I do not know how to do those so I only write fan fiction because if it gets stolen, at least nobody can make any money off of it with any ease. Since they cannot make money, it is a lost cause outside of a training exercise in my book already. so, yeah, I happen to like to train myself to improve and relearn the language my stroke stripped from me temporarily. Since it cannot be profited off of, I figure the theft is not all that important at that point.

We do indeed have a timestamp of when a story was first published with us, and provided you haven't taken it down and reposted it, that date will be there forever. FFN does the same thing, and so does AO3. Any reputable site will do so, I find.

A: It is good that this site has the time stamps needed to make sure ownership can be proven. Was why I added that comment about leaving my work up while pursuing the plagiarizer. I made the mistake of yanking my work too fast because I did not know it would hinder my getting justice. Now I am more aware, so I recognize that it is always dangerous to post original work I hope to get published some day. the lack of concrit does not help me to feel safe posting original work that is actually good either. ROFL. So i hide my good writing our of a hard learned paranoia gained from the nightmare of the whole sale Urbis theft which happened over a decade ago.

Edited by Kurahieiritr

Wow, I didn't realize the theft of stories was such a big problem, I'm kinda new to the online posting game. I did do some magazine publishing and the trick there was to send yourself a certified copy of your story to prove you had it before you shopped it out - saved me once. But since I don't really sell my stuff, I'm not that concerned about plagerism, I write more for me now. But if you use a site that doesn't time stamp, email it to yourself before posting it.

The same thing famously happened to AnonyMPC, who one day learned that one of his stories was for sale on Amazon. He chose not to fight it, though, because (as his name perhaps implies) he values his anonymity more than his copyright.

I was plagiarized once (that I know of)--some little creep stole two of my stories, changed the titles, and posted them as his own work on DeviantArt. (Fortunately, it only took a threat of reporting him to the site runners to make him take them down.) I got pretty angry about that, so I imagine I would be absolutely furious if someone actually charged people money for my stolen work.

Edited by GeorgeGlass

Mailing yourself something in snail mail is the same as getting a notary stamp once it goes through the US Postal Service. It is a legally binding document at that point so long as you never open the envelope, Magus. Poor man's patents do work very well in a court of law because of the Federal stamping system used makes all things legally binding in pretty much all the nations of the world. I doubt that emailing the original draft to yourself first would be anywhere near so binding because computer time stamps can get changed by a good hacker as I understand things.

Suppose I could print out an original copy of my various stories, and snail mail to myself before sharing. Then I would be able to win easy enough were I to share my originals, and they got ripped off. However, I am trying to get back into the business of being published because I really do need the second income. I'm not like J.K. Rowling who is constantly having to smack fan fiction sites and bloggers who decide to play with very well known Harry Potter trademarks by changing a gender or a name out and the rest is her writing skills. Money is always pretty tight in my home. Plus, I don't have a big publisher behind me either.

To be honest, the Urbis fiasco was avoidable, but I screwed up big time. Skipping the real poor man's patent because the novel was incomplete is what ruined my chances, and I hold myself fully accountable for the stupid mistake I made. It did not occur to me that the characters and chapters I had posted for initial feedback would be hijacked and used by another person who would take my early chapters and then wrote their own middle and final chapters version of the story I had begun. They did tweak the opening chapters I had shared, but not so much that I could miss my own writing style. To be honest, they ruined the original idea I had, but such is the way of life. My screw up taught me a valuable lesson I will never forget.

Guess you could say the first novel was far too close to my heart when it happened to me. Some day, I'll get over myself. ROFL. Just hasn't happened quite yet. I still have the 3 inch binder of the original cast notes, and all the research and biology stuff needed. I have done some tweaks to the character casts and have done a fair amount of biology and history mini documents, name changes, physical looks alterations, and can switch chapters around easy enough to make a new story that is still capable of carrying my original 5 novels through as I want them to be written. Some day I will get the 5 novels intended back on track, but as of yet, I simply have not been able to get past the theft due to my own sloppiness because someone stole my darlings and screwed up my novels due to being indecent human beings.

Tearing apart the first few chapters really hurts because I know someone else made money off of my hard work. Guess I became something of a scaredy cat, although I do not think any of the current originals in my computer as anywhere near as great as the chapters I posted on Urbis. ROFL. Goofy me still hurts over the theft by another writer, and probably always will. Some compliments are way too damned painful in the end. The income loss being the worst part when my kid was still pretty young, and I was struggling to feed him every single day. So yeah, I screwed up, and will never skip poor man's patents ever again so long as I live.

Edited by Kurahieiritr

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.