Click Here!

Most popular original fic here?

Guest yuri

Just curious because I noticed you can't really sort the fictions out by amount of reviews or favorites like fanfiction.net or fictionpress.

Popular being most hits or most reviews.

Popularity is rarely an indicator of quality. We do not provide that sort of search option, and in fact will be revising the ratings system as the new code is developed to provide a more equitable option. The ratings are often manipulated by people voting a story up or down based on purely subjective criteria such as liking/disliking a pairing or because they are fond of/not fond of the subject matter.

As an example, I do not like vampire fiction as a whole, but I do not rampage through the archive rating down every fiction that involves vampires. We have seen that happen, however. We have seen particular authors targeted as well, often for no apparent reason. To rely solely on ratings is somewhat unreliable.

The same can go for reviews. I have seen fictions with a great many negative reviews, many more reviews than the two or three thoughtful and complimentary reviews left on other stories. The number of reviews alone is also unreliable as an indicator of merit.

I do realize that and it's a shame that's happened. I've read a lot of unsatisfactory stories on fictionpress with a lot of reviews. But still, it's a little bit difficult to search for good stories written months or years before I discovered this site and I was curious if there were anything I missed.

You can search by tag, if there is something in particular that you fancy. Our search feature in the archive will search for a three letter tag provided you put it in quotes. That is one way to sort quickly through older fictions.

I often find myself perusing the Stories Written lists of authors I've enjoyed. Checking their Recommended Reading lists is another method I employ. Yet another way within originals is to look within the subcategories. These are further divided into the next level of subcategories, and this at least refines the search somewhat.

I will honestly say that I stumble over excellent works in my work within the archive. I will, at some point, see almost every new or updated story cross my screen, and often I find myself making a note to go back and read that particular story at my leisure.

I'll rec some of my favorites, though some are popular they're great reads in my opinion. I do understand what's being stated above though.

First, here's my rec list from livejournal. I have original fic, fanfic (the Panic! stuff can be read as original and is complete), manga (though my tastes are different now and I've yet to update that section), webcomic and published. Everything on this list is slash so if that's something you don't read I'd disregard my recs as that's all I read mostly.

http://flawed-uni.livejournal.com/1630.html

Now for this site specifically my favorite will always be Muffin by Mahsa. There's a link on my rec list. The sequel is unfortunately not finished :/ and I've no clue if it ever will be.

Dandruff by Munez - incomplete and hasn't been updated in forever.

It starts with the eyes by cora demby - again incomplete.

Falling Skyward by oliviaokay - updates slowly but I have a feeling it'll be completed one day.

Guilty pleasure XD but the Carnalli series by Passhenette1 - has incest and poly.

I used to have a recommended reading list before the site changes but I still have a copy of it. I can't comment on quality because I read (most) of them forever ago.

Muffin by Mahsa *
The Carnalli Complex by Passhenette1 *
Dragon Boy by Ambers79
Between Hope and Despair by WingsofaDream (removed?)
Loving Salem by Kereliah (removed)
Moonlight Denial by Darkness
Evening Wear by Clover
Forgotten by Traxie
The Black Moon Mate by Fallen
Dandruff by Munez
Live for the Night by Avernion (removed)
Crappy Predicament by AmuseMe
Debt and Ownership by Jet Levy (removed)
Icos by Sonny and Ais
It Starts With the Eyes by Cora Demby
Human by Laiko
Heirloom by Clover Reef
The Dark Side of the Moon by LilyEverlasting
Inversion by Fallen
Unconditional Love by Yblue
Desert Wind by Udunie
After Midnight by Sonny
Tentacle Series by Jotaku
Loathe Thy Neighbor by Passhenette1
Mist by Sonny
Matthew by Mahsa
Forever Ignored by Traxie
Extraordinary Beings by emathews
Haunted City by Blue GhostGhost

I still need to update my own Recommended Reading and Favorite Authors. I'm very bad at remembering to do that but I've managed to get a couple of things up, from the vast list I have bookmarked.

One thing about Originals is that sometimes our authors pull stories because they are either publishing that story, or their publisher has asked that they take down any online published works. In cases like that, I applaud them and wish them much success. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest dazedandconfused

Jacob and the Snake Charmer written by E.J. and I highly recommend all stories by 2rainsong2 and any story written by Traxie who also has just recently posted another new story that she is updating every few days called Turmoil so check it out.

Guest dazedandconfused

Oh, and this story is very popular but be cautioned it is not for the faint of heart and is very graphic! It is written in two parts so be sure to read the author's note at beginning of chapter. The story is called Waiting in the Throes, written by MaddoxGrey, and you can also ask questions on Maddox's Tumblr page just check author's profile page for link.

• 10 years later...
Guest Peya Luna

Hi! 

Jotaku´s tentacle series is my absolute favourite, yet it seems to be deleted, or maybe the link is broken? anyone got a working link or just a tip were i can still find these awesome fics? Thanks!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.