Click Here!

Vocabulary Turn-offs

DireAfterglow

Ok, without reading through the entirety of this post, let me make this one statement as a non-native speaker of the English language:

I think I am, due to my background, more lenient with it, but there is nearly no word that is bad. Now, in my own language, we have synonyms for every genitalia as well, but the problem is that it does sound awkward. Either it sounds scientific, prude, waaaay too kinky or just wrong, and so it is hard to walk the fine line of using non-awkward words and not be repetitive.

That is the reason why I choose to write in English rather than German. Granted, I know there are also difference, but those don't appear that crass to me.

The equivalence of Vagina and Pussy in german would either sound scientific and just outdated, but in English, I feel that are equally appropiate and even stimulating when used in context in English. It doesn't stand out as much as in German.

Just my five cents to this. :lol:

Edited by Nelogenazea

It would have to be really, really bad for one word to make me stop reading a story and generally if the word is horrible enough, the story is too. I'll take "penis" any day over "blue-veined custard-chucker", for example. :) Of course, used in the right context even the latter could have its place...it all depends on the situation, characters involved and purpose of the scene, in my opinion.

As for writing erotic fiction, I've simply stopped giving myself headaches trying to please everyone with euphemisms, nouns, adjective and verbs. It's just not possible to write a detailed sex scene without including some word that someone isn't going to like and I've come to the conclusion that if someone is going to start feeling faint because they see the words: "cum", "dick", "pussy", "tits", "vagina", "penis" or any other commonly used words applied to body parts or fluids, they're probably reading the wrong kind of story.

It would have to be really, really bad for one word to make me stop reading a story and generally if the word is horrible enough, the story is too. I'll take "penis" any day over "blue-veined custard-chucker", for example. :)

Hee hee... that's a good one. Actually, while that would be bad in the descriptions, I think it'd be great in dialogue. I'd love to see a fic with someone screaming "Oh sweet ripe cheese, yes! Yes! Stick me with your blue-veined custard-chucker!" :lol: I love it when smut doesn't take itself too seriously.

• 2 weeks later...

The abundant use of the word "teenager" creeps me out. It's not at this site, mainly the highschool section of nifty.net

Also a mentioning of "six nipples". I barely have a tolerance for furries, but when the characters are anatomically correct animals, and there's almost no sign of them being humans besides probably walking on two feet.

Ok, I'm a 'robot smex' fan. That's what I write and what I read. This said, I've found one author in particular that can totally turn me off in an instant...

Ok, picture this. You are intently reading a smex scene between two Transformers (robots, AKA 'mechs')... It's really REALLY good! The forplay in incredible in detail and scope. Then the female reaches down, opens his panel, releasing his engorged penis/dick/cock...

Suddenly as a reader I envision a robot with a true human flesh penis... Just ruins the entire moment!

It's almost as bad as when the male mech unlatches the female's armor and sucks on her breasts/tits... Now I'm left with the vision of two Halo characters in full gear, removing it piece by piece. That's NOT robots/mechs!!!

Words that SHOULDN'T be used when two Transformers are having smex (because they refer to organic fleshling parts - I put the corresponding acceptable 'mech' term/terms in parathesis behind the no-no word)

Tongue (glossa)

Dick/penis/cock (Cable/jack/plug)

Breast/tit (chest armor/armor plate)

Fuck (Interface/bonding/joining/spark play)

Vulva/vagina/pussy/cunt (Port/receiver/box/connection/etc)

Comes down to context. And what, ahem, species of creatures you are reading/writing about.

Not to be too picky, but do I ever hate reading "her shaved p#ssy" or similar phrasing in het stories. True, many a character seems to have a close relationship with Mr. Bic Razor and that's just fine if it's her preference, but describing her simply as "shaved" seems like a cheap cop-out way to add a little eroticism.

There are other ways to get the point across that's she's no longer sporting all the hair that God saw fit to grow down there. If the man who's helping her undress sees her lips, cleft, folds or whatever term you prefer, it's reasonable to expect there wasn't any hair blocking his view. Likewise, if he's touching bare flesh, smooth skin, etc. then it's safe to assume there was no hair in his way.

I may be the only one who dislikes that phrase, in which case ignore.

By the way, for the sake of historical accuracy, it would be rather unusual for someone, female or male, to shave in the all-natural 1970s, right? I doubt I'll focus on that detail much anyway in my current writing project, but I want to get the little details right. I could ask my parents, who would have been around my OC's age in that era, but...no, on second thought I'm not going to ask them. :lurk:

Hee hee... that's a good one. Actually, while that would be bad in the descriptions, I think it'd be great in dialogue. I'd love to see a fic with someone screaming "Oh sweet ripe cheese, yes! Yes! Stick me with your blue-veined custard-chucker!" :shifty: I love it when smut doesn't take itself too seriously.

I agree that human genitals should not be given food metaphors except for visual reference (However sausage? ...nnno). Flowerly language is fine, in moderation (because using 'penis' or 'vagina' all the time gets a bit tired). When I wrote "Talk Nerdy To Me", I used "golden honey lotus" because a) the male lead got most of his knowledge about sex from an Agatean (Chinese) manual, so B) it sounded right, and c), it wasn't a serious fic anyway.

That brings up mental imagies of some one fucking cheese. Does not want.

HEY!!! We need to tell PETA about it! After all, they support women getting horny with vegetables don't they?

Oh wait, it's a dairy product... Knix that idea... Snicker..

Let's change it to... "Lordy, lordy - slice me with that throbbing cucumber you got there...."

HEY!!! We need to tell PETA about it! After all, they support women getting horny with vegetables don't they?

I’m into strange kinks and my muses are into far worse ones but I would like to be able to eat a salad or anything with veggies in it and not see PETA add with some one getting on a veggie. Its not as bad a lot, well most furry writers calling a penis meat or meat stick.

That brings up mental imagines of some one being fucked with sausage.

Some more turn offs

She was impaled like a red fruit

Please, please stop useing the word "impaled". If I see some one else using his dick to impale some one, his name better be Vlad the Penis Impaler.

And again with fruit.

Two gallons of cum

Not even a bull has that much in them, some one is either Godzilla or has some really, really big balls

Ass-dancing

This brings up mental images of a bunch of asses dancing on a stage

Now I'm picturing a guy with gallon-size milk jug testicles to hold all that. Do not want!

Ewwwwwwwwwwww.

Now I have that mental image in my head.

Craving pussy

So the cat wants something ? Or is it a disembodied vagina like off Tripping the Rift that’s hungry ?

:D

• 2 weeks later...

To me it's usually not the word itself, but the context in which it is used.

If the scene is from the point of view of someone who is a rough, crude person, the sex should be described using rough, crude terms.

If the scene is from the point of view of someone who is, for example, a doctor or anatomy nerd, then clinical language would make sense because the character would think that way naturally.

If the character is an overwrought, massive consumer of torrid romance, then this person would interpret the sex using over the top terms like love rod.

This works for third person as well as first person.

I think the impaling metaphor makes sense for someone who is a swordsman (I've got one of these in a fic) but anyone who doesn't stick weapons into people for a living might want to have a more suitable metaphor.

Overall, though, I think over the top descriptions make me laugh.

And I do hate "cum" as opposed to "come."

If the character is an overwrought, massive consumer of torrid romance, then this person would interpret the sex using over the top terms like love rod.

This works for third person as well as first person.

And I do hate "cum" as opposed to "come."

"Oh baby! Impale me on your massive love rod and fill this aching pussy with gallons of cum!"

**snicker** I could picture a viable scenario of a prostitute saying that one to a john...

BTW in my ancient (Publish date: 1968) American College Dictionary. 'Cum' is actually in there. Defined as: with; together with; including..

I'm sure they'd updated it's definition to include it's use in slang. But I guess you could viably use the sentence: "Baby! Baby! MMMMMMM! Cum with me! Cum with me!" ... even back in 1968 and have 'cum' in proper usage... LOL

Is "hole" really as sexy Vs. "tight pucker", :o Or as sophisticate as wildly twitching orifice? Which do you perfer to impale? LOL, Oh cum now tell me.... The Raunchy and Lovely Cal

Guest Starmongoose

Willy.

Just. No.

Anything but a willy. Penis, Dick, Cock, THE PENATRATOR. Just not willy.

It's hard to read anything without giggling when you see it.

What even drives someone to write it when there are perfectly good other words out there.

It's usually found in the most mediocre of fiction, so it's a bit like your old granny dying and Willy the Clown comes to the funeral riding a unicycle and asks to be taken seriously.

I've never stopped reading because of a word but I've had to bite my tongue and suffer through a few.

One word that I've read in almost every sex scene either gay or straight is deliciously.

Everyone is always doing something deliciously. Or something is being done deliciously.

Guest Starmongoose

Agreed, unless the sex is going on inside a large bacon sandwich, it's not delicious.

If anyone does find a sex scene that occurs in a large bacon sandwich, i'd be most interestied. ;)