Click Here!

Compulsion to Review everything? Or is it just me?

Raymy

I have a crazy need to review everything I read, irregardless* of wasting my own time. It's a self-imposed rule. I made the decision to support fellow authors no matter what the cost, because I believe in practicing the behaviour you wish others would use on you. Meaning, if I want reviews, I must give them. It's not perfect Karma, but sometimes you need to put out 10 times (maybe 100) more effort to receive a positive response in return. It's the world we live in.

Usually, authors complain about not getting reviews, but my complaint is that I can't keep up with the reviews I expect to give. I have a virtual sticky on my desktop with a list of the stories I still need to review. I'm also quite verbose in my comments which makes leaving a review (sometimes for every chapter) a bit challenging. I want to be original, insightful, witty, and sincere. I sometimes offer con crit, but mostly just analyze the content, the affect it had on me, and where my thoughts took me. I imagine its nice for the writer to know what their writing does to a reader, and not just if their writing is coherent or grammatically correct.

It's seems silly to agonize over a review, but such is my nature. I agonize over everything I write. Proofreading is a major undertaking, involving the dictionary and multiple rereads. So, you see, my reviews take up a lot of time and effort, and sometimes I lose my impetus to put out. Ergo, the list.

Am I the only one with this particular form of OCD? Somebody tell me that I have kindred spirits out there, and I'm not a lonely, weird, old cat lady.

*irregardless - see discussion thread "The Direct Address Comma Rule"

Edited by Raymy

I think its nice that you would have that compulsion. I agree as a writer that it is good to hear from readers about how the story moves them. :2tubs: Good for you for trying!

I try to review stories that I read, and I manage to get to a lot of them. Sometimes I can be a cranky mean girl though, and if I cant think of anything nice to say I don't say anything at all.

The effect it had on you is concrit. It tells the author if they achieved the emotional impact they intended.

Honestly, I feel better if I review what I read - and I always try to leave the author that type of feedback. I try to point out good things about the stories, and things that might need a look over.

From my experience, authors prefer the feedback where the reader describes their response to the tale in detail. Obviously, I don't mean essays, but telling the author whether they were really able to become absorbed in the story. :)

I...can't manage to review everything I read. I do review a majority of what I read, simply because I know how much of an impact feedback can give. If it starts a conversation, great. If it inspires the writer, even better. But even if it just tells the author that, hey, this was awesome and this is what really got to me...it's served its purpose.

There are, as mentioned above, times when I just can't think of anything good to say, at which point I just don't review. And sometimes I'm in such a bad mood that I don't review unless a story is epic awesome, because without such an impact on me, I'd be mean where it's not deserved.

If I think a writer could use some help or guidance with anything, I'll point it out and suggest either a beta or something to look into for self-help.

Probably what turns me off reviewing a story the most is unrealistic emotions. *shakes head* I just...can't do that. I'm big on realistic emotions, so if the emotions don't fit the character (and world, because sometimes there are biological reasons that have to do with the world, for whatever emotion), then it throws me off. Usually so badly that I just can't stand to keep reading, often badly enough that I can't even stand to think about it long enough to review.

But for the most part, if I start into a story, I review it.

irregardless

Sorry had to do it. It's one of those words which really shouldn't be used...

In any case, the writers, I'm sure; LOVE that you are a compulsive reviewer. Most writers WANT real feedback. Of course, then you have the fanpoodle cliques who wouldn't know real feedback if it bit them in their collective asses, which is why you'll see dreck with many reviews, and good stories with none or very few.

irregardless

Sorry had to do it. It's one of those words which really shouldn't be used...

Hah! That's why I used it! Your link is the very one my link refers to. And what I took from it was that it's pretty hard to be righteous on this issue. So, I thought I'd slum a little. I still won't use it in any serious way, though. Forum posts fall low on the totem pole of classy writing, just above chat rooms or shout boxes.

I have no doubt that the writers appreciate my reviews; many have replied, demonstrating it.

Do you feel guilty if you don't leave a review for something you read all the way through? Eliminate the ones you stopped reading because something was off about it and you couldn't stomach anymore. If you liked it well enough to keep reading, right until the end or where the latest chapter ends, do you feel compelled to review? Will you opt not to review because it was just that night's entertainment and you don't have anything more to say than, "Hey, I really liked it. Good job."

I hate to leave a review like that but alternatively, I have to think, and ask myself questions, and maybe even debate a little to come up with something I'm satisfied with. Now, multiply that scenario times two or three in an evening if you review every chapter, more if you're starting an established story from the beginning and you're really into it. How far do you go? One review for the entire story in that case?

Do you feel that you spend too much time leaving a good review? The definition of 'good review' being one that includes the qualities stated previously in both my original post and in the replies. No need to argue over that, which isn't my main point.

This isn't a poll. Just want to know if anyone's like me. And so far, I don't get that feeling.

Edited by Raymy

I leave one review for the day's reading. I write my reviews in notepad, and I user the <hr> tag within my review to let the author know that I'm going between technical and content portions of the review. When reviewing multiple chapters, I use <i>Chapter #</i> as part of my review to let the author know that there was something specific to that chapter I wanted to comment on.

Do I feel it's "too much time" I spend leaving good reviews? No, I don't. Since the author took the time to write the story, the least I can do is spend a little time saying thanks and giving a little detail as to what I liked/didn't like.

Edited by RogueMudblood

If I read it and enjoyed anything about it, if anything stood out to me, I like to leave reviews. Sometimes I run out of time and forget what I've read, but as a general rule, if I could stand it long enough to read it and it made me smile or laugh or think, then I review.

However, I have run into the occasional story that is just...blah. And by 'blah' I mean bland like tofu. (Though in my case it's more like the reputation of tofu, no real flavor, because to my taste buds, tofu tastes bad, and 'bad' probably counts as having flavor.)

Honestly, I probably review more here and on AO3, where reviews are pretty rare, than I ever have on FFnet, and that's because of that rarity. If I feel a story deserves praise that hasn't been said, I want to give my two cents. It doesn't hurt me and it shouldn't hurt the author (though some people are way too sensitive about their works), so why not?

But no, Raymy, I don't think we (anyone who's responded to this thread, at least) have this compulsion to review that you speak of. Not to the degree you do, it seems. I don't because, in the first place, I can't read anything that doesn't interest me, and in the second, I was raised with an emphasis on, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." The second is very well ingrained in me...maybe too well. There again, I know it makes a review easier to read if there's compliments on something thrown in there with the constructive criticism, so....

Edited by Cuzosu

Thanks, everyone, for the excellent feedback. I wish I got reviews like this!

DG, I think I must read too much, then, but you make a good point. I'm also not very discriminating. I give a lot more stories a chance to wow me than when I started reading here. You never know when you'll come across something really good. However, that puts me in this dilemma, because of my "rule". I guess I'll have to work harder to limit my reading. The OCD (self-diagnosed) is also a factor in why I read so much. Obsessed with reading, Compelled to review. What a combo!

RogueMudblood, I'm not sure I understand the tag <hr> but I do preface my reviews with the chapter number. I tend to start a new paragraph if I'm switching between topics, like content versus technical observations.

JayDee & Cuzosu, I also don't like to give negative comments and so try to only give constructive criticism* if I'm really in the mood to try to help the writer. It's funny that way, but in order to point out someone's mistakes, I need to feel compassion for them, so I can temper my words to be as honest and non-judgemental as possible. I need that to prevent my rude, self-important side from taking over. Usually, I give critical reviews when I really liked the story and have plenty of good things to say, also. I think I only gave a strictly negative review, once. The person had a wall of text with very little punctuation, so that all other grammar faux pas were irrelevant. Most would have backed out immediately, but I pushed through, trying to find something redeemable. I couldn't finish, but gave the only review to clue this person in on the problem. I guess I felt sorry for them, figuring it was an uploading problem. I simply suggested they get the wall-o-text fixed if they seriously want anyone to read the story, plus to review their punctuation.

*Yes, I do know that concrit may be considered to encompass the effect a story has on a reader but I believe its purpose is to promote improvement. Most of my reviews aim for support and encouragement, and no direct improvement can be utilized from them.

<hr>-horizontal rule, that line in between one part of a story and another, often.

I'd read more, but I'm usually busy in the database, LOL.

Wallotext can be caused by a few things:

• Older story, plain text insert with no text containers
  • Newer story, user ignores the rte and opts to upload plain text, without text containers
  • New story, user ignores the rte and uploads plain text, and then goes back and edits. That makes the chapter immediately wall.

I read a lot to try to see if reading something new will help me update my own stories. I do review every time unless i am being ordered by my lovely parents to do chores. I love leaving reviews for writers because usually they review back! Its just a way to tell them that they are doing a good job or what they need to fix. I don't criticize unless i get a headache from a very bad, grammar misused story.

• 2 weeks later...
As a reader, and I do read a lot, I try review every single thing that I read. Unless, it was so god awfully bad that I have nothing good to say about it. At that point, I just move along. Stories that I think are absolutely terrible or disturbing, may be exactly what someone else is looking for so I try not to leave a bad review.

Also as a reader, if I'm looking for story sometimes I'm guilty of checking the reviews to see how it was generally received, I'll probably still give it a try but reviews are kind of a way to let the new reader know what they're getting into. I believe it's our duty as a writer or reader to support the authors who spend hours of their time working on stories that they let us read for free with kind words, opinions, constructive criticism. I mean it's the only pay authors get with fanfiction and a lot of authors are serious about their pieces. Sometimes it's just a bit more than a hobby.

In my case I have a close knit group that will read just about anything I post. But they won't review it, they prefer to send me an email, or those who know me more personally a text. I don't know if it's because I write a specific genre that can be a little squicky and they don't want people to know that they read that type of thing, which I understand, or if they truly didn't like it they don't want to post a review to hurt my feelings or mislead another reader. It's quite frustrating when three people email you to tell you how great your story is, but the hit counter is at like 300. I wonder if 297 people didn't like it or just didn't want to leave a review. I accept email, text, instant message reviews because as an author I want to know what people thought of my work.

• 6 months later...

Chuckles as I read this thread. Raymy. You are putting way too much pressure on yourself to review every single chapter you have read for others. I don't know about other writers, but to me, a couple reviews spaced out after a few read chapters is quite sufficient for me to know I am on the right track. Hell, A review at the very end of the story that tells me the good, bad, and ugly is also great. To be blunt, emotional impact is one of the foundations of memorable characters and is vital to a decent review. The fact you analyze and express the emotional tones happens to be one of the most overlooked aspects of concrit reviews that are given by the majority. Most concrit reviews focus on writing mechanics instead of the emotional quality and tone of a story.

You've sent me a couple great PM's about messed up words my dyslexia misses because spell checker says the spelling is correct. How many times have you told me about how form should be from? You are appreciated very much as a reviewer and as a quasi sounding board when I am disgusted with my raw drafts because you understand character emotions contained within my writing style. :0 ) Much as people complain about the cruelties I have heaped upon Takumi through 4 stories so far, they keep reading because of people like yourself tell me that the emotions are consistent with the expected actions after each crisis. It helps immensely to stay in character when you do that for me.

However, I also think that you backlog yourself with giving reviews to avoid completing your own writing by piling something in front of it until it gets buried with to do lists. You put too much pressure on yourself to review other writer's efforts as a subconscious self sabotage to refrain from giving me more nutty professor chapters that I am squirming to read damitol!

You have a great grasp of actual characters in the fan fiction you write, so yes, I am going to send a big raspberry your way on this one. Review a couple select chapters in full novel length stories. A single review for every 8 to 10 chapters in a book sized tale is plenty to let the writer know the good, bad, and ugly of their work. Take a few notes while you read, and before you log off, shoot the review to the writer. That way you avoid getting backlogged so badly, and I can safely harass you for more nutty professor chapters in the future, cause you write him so very well. :) Okay I think that's enough of a lecture and sly plea for an update on your Bleach story.