Click Here!

Language

shinigamiinochi

I have three characters in my novel. One is from Massachusetts, the second is from Brazil, and the third is from Canada. The one from America is easy for me, since I'm from Massachusetts myself, but now that I'm doing the back story for my South American character, I'm getting stuck on little details. I really don't know how far I should go into Brazilian culture or how much, if any, Portuguese I should write. I only know little words and phrases, but I don't know how to make it seem more realistic since I've never been under Florida.

I suggest just sprinkling a few Portugese words and phrases in here and there to give your character some flavor. But use mostly English.

What I usually do is have my characters that speak a foreign language as their first language speak more text book English than your average American would, with bits of their native language thrown in here and there. So far it seems to work for me. I often use Babelfish for coming up with words and phrases.

Hope that helps.

DON'T USE BABELFISH!

Seriously, don't use BabelFish. It tends to screw up.

Otherwise, I agree with Ginevra. Have the character stick to more formal English and have/him her mess up slang once in a while. Brazilian Portuguese and Iberian Portuguese are different, so make sure that you've used Brazilian.

WordReference is my favorite translational dictionary. Their English-Portuguese dictionary is in the beta stage, but I'd trust it.

I'd also recommend WorldLingo (I've linked you to the free translation area) and PROMT.

If you have any questions about translating specific phrases, you could also try the NE forums here. (No, I'm not saying this for the sake of promoting).

As for how much you should go into the culture, it depends. How interested is the character interested in his/her own culture? If s/he's not that into it, then don't include that much. If it's a strong part of the character, infuse more of it into the story.

When it comes to the Canadian character, I suggest you do the same. Depending on which part of the country the character comes from, the cultural background can differ from that of Mass. either minimally or vastly.

Either way, remember this: provide a translation for each Portuguese phrase. I've read stories that fail to do this, and it irks me. There's no guarantees that your readers will understand what is being said and it's not their responsibility to look it up.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I've decided just to use a few phrases and words, like 'mel' for honey and the fact that I've mentioned that this character reverts to Portuguese when he's having sex ^^ And I agree, Babelfish sucks. Whenever I have to use a foreign language, I ask my cousin who speaks over a hundred languages fluently. He's much more reliable. ^^

Do you speak Portugese? Feel free to use it.

Do you not speak Portugese? Then don't use it. That simple.

The words, "X spoke in rapid Portugese", or a variation of such, does more for the reader than sprinkling a few words you picked up from somewhere will. you don't want to throw them out of the state of disbelief they've put themself in. WTF the moments are the worst, and the misuse of language is one of the best ways to do it.

Compare it to:

"George Washington fought valiantly, but in the end the Ghurka's proved too much. Their razor tipped boomerang's were slaughtering his Confederate troops like chickens in a hamburger factory."

Unless you are writing a very disturbed alternate history, that line is bound to make anyone with half an ounce of history knowledge cringe in their seats, or worse, bust a gut laughing. Unless intended, not a good thing.

For a final thought: Foreign languages are like hand guns: not meant to be handled by the irresponsible, the unaware, or the clueless. They will anyway, and 99% of the time the result is tragedy.

• 1 month later...

I think you should study more on the backround of the characters cultures and languages, that would be the only way for you to make it seem more realsitic if thats your goal. I have to do that with my stories and it doesn't hurt to study on something on what you are going to write. It would help you and make it seem a little easier. I would just go to the library and check out some books on brazil and canada on the cultures and languages. That would help you a lot I think, to write your story.