Click Here!

Story Writing Questions

So I have written this story where the POV is in 1st person, I never written a story like this so I gave it a shot. Here is my problem when I started writing the story I couldn't decide which POV to set the story so I did 1st POV. Then I couldn't decide whether to tell the story present or past. So I did present tense like for example "I Run, she talks, we see, they watch" ect.. So I was wondering would the story still make sense? Would it make sense to read it 1st POV present tense? I wanted to make the reader feel like this is actually happening now when they read the story. Just curious to know if that really make any sense.

So I have written this story where the POV is in 1st person, I never written a story like this so I gave it a shot. Here is my problem when I started writing the story I couldn't decide which POV to set the story so I did 1st POV. Then I couldn't decide whether to tell the story present or past. So I did present tense like for example "I Run, she talks, we see, they watch" ect.. So I was wondering would the story still make sense? Would it make sense to read it 1st POV present tense? I wanted to make the reader feel like this is actually happening now when they read the story. Just curious to know if that really make any sense.

Hmm, a story in 1st person POV and in present tenses can work really well! It makes readers get involved in the story directly because the narration kicks thm to the character's position.

However, it all depends on your writing skills and if you're able to pull it really well. If you can, this might be a hit, if you can't then sorry, it might suck. But a story like that has a great potential, of that I'm sure!

So far I deleted a whole chunk of a story then edited for some odd reason. I guess when you read it it's like being there. That's the whole idea for it. Then I can't decide if it's erotic enough to put in the erotica section but I don't think so yet. I added a chapter to it but I feel like deleting all together because of my moments of writer's block. This was an idea that just suddenly came up, I wanted to test a 1st POV I always thought those were awesome to read.

Guest orleans

Just don't think of deleting a story so quickly. You will be sorry later. It's a simple fact.

A story in the 1 POV is always a bit difficult to write, but if you manage to get it right, it can be awesome. Wish you goo luck with your writing!

hug.gif

Just don't think of deleting a story so quickly. You will be sorry later. It's a simple fact.

A story in the 1 POV is always a bit difficult to write, but if you manage to get it right, it can be awesome. Wish you goo luck with your writing!

hug.gif

Thanks! happy.gif well so far I added another chapter. I don't think I want to delete or move anything else. It does get more complicated.

Think I need a break before my brain explodes. freak.gif

I think you should also not attempt to update when you have writer's block. Do something else to get rid of it, but don't let it eat away at a story. You should try and upload your best work, not upload for the sake of uploading because you haven't in a while.

Gene Wolfe says that he always have a very clear picture of not only the story, but who the author is and who his audience is.

Is this being written in a diary? That would suggest gaps in the narrative, like ending chapters with 'I hope tomorrow works out okay' and starting chapters with 'Well, today was a total loss. Let me tell you...'

The narration of 'Soldier of the Mist' is a character with no long-term memory, so he can only recall what he's had a chance to write down before he forgets everything. There are huge gaps in the exciting parts.

Brust has his main character narrate to a magic box that pays him coins for his stories. So he's usually kicked back, describing past events.

I tend to think of someone writing their memoirs.

First person POV /Narrative can be really wonderful when done well. (And it does take a bit of practice to make it come out well and draw your reader in!)

I have one First Person POV fanfic under my Harry Potter section called "The Noble House of Malfoy".

> http://hp.adult-fanfiction.org/story.php?no=544213053

I didn't INTEND the story to come out that way at first, but that is the way it wanted to be written so I wasn't going to argue with my muse. First Person writing is a technique that all writers should try once (even if you don't post it) just to try it. Think of it like Creative Writing class 101.

it can work in some stories, but in others not at all. As for writers block, I agree with everyone else. Sometimes you just need to take a sabbatical from writing. Your muses will let you know when they are ready to come back out and play.

Stress, changes, many things can affect writing. Sometimes a good author needs to know when to step back and take a breath.

Best of luck to you!

• 2 weeks later...

This may be a little late, but here is a snippet of my tutorial I'll be posting in the resource section when I get it finished. POV's are my specialty :P

◊ Limitations of Perception

The most important aspect of first-person is what you can write. Dialogue, action, thoughts are all colored through the rose-colored glasses of the character. If he or she sees the world as a happy joyful place, he or she will convey that through observation and voice. As I said before, first person won’t say:

“I’m six foot, one hundred and ten pounds with blue eyes and pale skin”. People don’t think like that!

Then there is action. Actions are done by reaction, not observation. Take this third-person view for example (taken from Kress’s book):

Grunting, Jerry lifted the bag from the car. Halfway to the house, he dropped it. Eggs and milk crashed onto the sidewalk, and grapes rolled into the azaleas. Jerry stomped inside and slammed the door.

Now, first-person, concentrating on reactions:

As I lifted the bag from the car, I felt it slip. Shit! Eggs and milk smashed on the sidewalk, grapes rolling into Linda’s azaleas...Some days there’s no point in even trying. I left the mess and stomped inside.

◊ Voice

The biggest advantage is not what you say, but how you say it. First-person is told through the character’s words, allowing us to “hear” his or her natural voice. Words characterize by their diction, cadence, complexity and attitude. Is your character melancholy? Then they will have vocabulary to match that voice. Are they simple minded? Then their thoughts will be short and simple. Words reveal how the character thinks and the way he or she thinks. Voice can reveal ethnicity, religionm, historical era as well as character. Joe Bob from down south will have different thoughts than Susan Manner from New York. Their vocabulary will be different, as well as tone and attitude. Keep this in mind for your characters!

◊ Distance

In first person, we are in their heads at all times. No exceptions. Do not say: “I’m wondering if Joe will come over”. This is distancing your reader from the character. Instead say these:

- Will Joe come over today?

- Maybe Joe will come over.

- Joe should come over later, he said he would.

- Damn it, Joe said he would come over, but he’s not here yet.

- Hope fluttered in my stomach. Joe was coming over later. I couldn’t wait!

Each plants the reader inside the character’s head, and also gives hints of attitude and voice.

◊ Advantages of first person:

Immediacy: We are inside the character’s head, so we’re experiencing sensations as the character receives them. When something happens to the fictional “I”, it feels real to the reader’s “I”.

Language: We can understand a great deal about a character just by the way they talk. In the example above, the character thinks in rather formal tones. This says something to us about his character. If he were to say, talk like a hippy, the scene and character would have an entirely different tone.

Range: Memories, impressions and opinions are easily expressed in first person since the reader is already inside the character’s head. The transition between flashback or thought is less artificial than it would be in any other POV (except for close third person, but we’ll get to that later).

◊ Disadvantages:

There are many more than advantages, believe it or not.

- You cannot include any scene where your POV is not present.

- You cannot include any information your character would not naturally have.

- You must include all the information your character does have; to not would make the reader feel duped, cheated. Their trust of your character and the plausibility of your story would suffer.

- You are limited to your POV character’s interpretation of the world; i.e., if they are suspicious of everyone, then everyone must be described as that character would see them. Even if the other character is honorable, this must be shown in a dramatic way to get through to your POV character.

- Biggest danger: you already have “I” in your head. Beginning writers fall into the trap of infusing too much of themselves into their character and they lose objectivity. A writer must be neutral and careful their characters don’t begin to sound like themselves. This is what makes the first person POV harder than it looks. Not many writers can be objective and chances are, if their character feels strongly about a subject, the reader will assume the author does as well unless that author can define where they end and the character begins.

LOL, there is actually more...but I'll post it when I'm finished with all the POVs (third, novelty, and omniscient)

• 3 weeks later...

It would be extremely hard to do but not impossible. I have yet to see one done well and it is very hard to do. You could do some action scenes in your book like that. Start small and do that, once you get a hang of it, you can probably do it throughout the whole story. But I would take baby steps and see if you like how it goes.

Edited by Lost_Soul

If you're really concerned about it find a beta who can help you out... You can bounce ideas off them and they can help you any way you might need them to so that the story flows and sounds right...

I think first person present as a POV is very hard to write. Good luck maintaining it. I struggled mightily with an one-shot challenge piece simply because I wanted to use things that the "narrator" couldn't possibly know, or would say, do, etc. It was a great challenge, but to write a whole story from one character's point of view ... WOW, that's brave.

Pitt

Edited by pittwitch

Too bad I deleted that thing a long time ago! >_> ugh!!!
aaaaaaaaawwwwwww~ ;__;