Click Here!

Which do you prefer to READ and WRITE?

Kanashii

When you are WRITING, do you prefer to write 'novels' (20 or more chapters) or short stories (under 20 chapters)? Readers, do you enjoy LONG stories or short stories (4 or less chapters)?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. When you are WRITING, do you prefer to write 'novels' (20 or more chapters) or short stories (under 20 chapters)? Readers, do you enjoy LONG stories or short stories (4 or less chapters)?

• I only/usually WRITE short stories (1-2 chapters)
    • I prefer to WRITE long in-depth novels (over 20 chapters)
    • I prefer to READ short stories (1-2 chapters)
    • I prefer to READ long in-depth novels (over 20 chapters)
    • I will WRITE whatever my "muse" tells me to (short or long), and have several of both types of story.
    • I will READ any story which is well done and draws me in, whether it is a short PWP or a full-length novel

I want to get the opinions of both authors AND readers. I write both kinds of stories (short 1-5) chapter ones and also recently put up a huge nearly 500 page (43) chapter novel. It surprises me how few hits this novel is getting, so I am wondering if it is just tooo long and involved for the average reader.

> http://original.adult-fanfiction.org/story.php?no=600095567

However I would love to hear from both authors and readers of what they tend to like and why. What do YOU enjoy reading and or writing and if you are a writer, do you notice any difference in your longer stories (as far as hits/reviews) over your shorter ones (under 6 chapters)

Thanks in advance for your input and opinions

Sorry, the poll seemed to screw up... huh.gif it was supposed to have MANY answers to choose from, but it didn't come out that way, despite me filling out the instructions.

Soooo, feel free to add here your opinions and choices. (Short vs Long, in reading or writing)

Mostly due to limited free time, I tend to stick with shorter stories for reading (1-5 chapters), unless I'm familiar with an author's work and know that a long story is worth the effort of finding the time to read it. Of course, it's a bit different if I'm following a work in progress and the author has not defined how long it is expected to be.

As for writing, I tend to write mostly 9-12 chapter pieces, with 12 often being the "magic" number. While I do usually have a general outline for the story in mind, I don't actually outline chapter by chapter, but somehow they work out to 12 more often than not. I do have one novel length piece published on AFF at 38 chapters.

I'm currently actively working on about 4 projects:

"Catspaws: Lost Innocence," a dark fic that should come out to between 9 and 12 chapters. I've just completed the rough draft of chapter six.

"A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed," a slash piece written specifically for my LJ Community and dedicated to one of my fan fic buddies. I'm only one chapter into it, but I suspect it will fall in the 6-9 chapter range.

"The Mutant Sue Virus," another LJ project posted to a friend's Community. My rough draft is up to two chapters, but I suspect this one will top out somewhere past 30 when it is complete.

"Legacy," I've tentatively started a sequel to that aforementioned novel length piece and would expect it to be in the neighborhood of 20-30 chapters if I take it to completion.

Hope that's what you wanted...

Eve wrote: "I've fixed the poll. Unfortunately, doing so misplaced the votes. The one person who had voted before shall have to vote again.

Kanashii, I'm sending you a brief guide on creating polls. I have a pretty good idea of what went wrong. "

Mille Grazie (many thanks!) Eveknight! I appreciate the help. I'm old and curmudgeonly, what do I know. thumbsup.gif

I gravitate towards long fiction. I am also very interested in writing short stories, but those are a whole different stripe of animal. If I’d have to pick an absolute favorite, I’d go with the novella. Novellas give you some of the same advantages as short and long fiction, with only half or less the time commitment of a novel.

I’ll read a fic of any length if resonates with me. Make me care about the characters, have interesting things happen to them, and I’m in for the long haul. Though I admit, if I’m cruising for the smut, I’ll skip ahead sometimes.

Though I admit, if I’m cruising for the smut, I’ll skip ahead sometimes.

laugh.gif

I do the same thing sometimes.

I have a few authors whose work I'll read no matter how long it is. If a story is thirty chapters and still has my attention, that's good stuff. I think with the longer stories, sometimes, readers don't want to have to make the commitment...it's kind of like a one-night stand, you know? They want to get in, be pleased, get out and leave you with a quick "That was great, thanks" -or just sneak out without leaving a review or rating the story.

The stories I write pretty much vary in length. It all depends on how much needs to be said, what's happening, how immersed I've become in chasing rabid plot monsters.

Well, I'd much rather read then write and when I'm looking/hunting/fiending for something to read I'll usually just read what catches my interest, but prefer the longer, more drawn out stories. I'm the type that never wants a good story to end.

I also like the long drawn out stories, you just fall in love with the characters and can't help but want to read more. I've been trying to elongate my stories, I have gone from 4 page chapters to 7 page chapters but I don't know if that is going to help. I usually wrap things up around the fifth chapter and I want things to go on further than that. *sighes* I guess I'll keep trying harder...

I have to admit I am very frustrated. I am writing a novel called solstice which is on this site. I desperately need a beta and reviews so I can make it publishable, but I've only got 400 hits and three reviews, and no one wants to beta it. Sure, it is currently 200 pages long, but I wish there was some way I could get more people to review it. On the other hand, the hits for my gundam wing fics are through the roof. I'm wondering if it is because my gw fiction has a lot more erotic material in it or because of the fandom. It's a sad fact, but more people are willing to log on and read a fanfic than sit down in Borders and read a book. It's kind of discouraging.

I don't really think it matters as long as it can draw the reader in. I would read anything that can put you on the edge of your seat and write anything that can melt your eyes out. I think it depends on how the author would portray their own story and how it's presented.

Pepsi-chan AKA Allison

Oh lord. I always set out to write just one-shots, and then I can't fit it all into just one chapter, or the stopping point is just too good to leave, or I have a little addendum to the story that shows up in a second chapter, just for shock-value (I did that recently with my Death Note fic, "Kitty" in which the Master's name is revealed in the second chapter.)

I prefer to read long, in-depth, detailed things, but I love reading short little witty-one offs, as well.

One day, I hope to write a rockin' novel length fic (with more than twenty pages per chapter, and more than thirty chapters total.) but I have issues with finishing things. Either I just get fed up with the story, or run out of inspiration, or run out of motivation, or I get distracted by a newer and shinier story that demands to be written...

I have writers-ADD.

Guest orleans

think.gif It really depends. In the beginning I have written rather short stories, but now, when I have a good idea for a plot, the story can become quite long- long for my standards, at least. I like to add details to make it appear more realistic and lively.

The same goes for stories I read. If I have time, I prefer long ones and really get into a plot, get to know the characters little by little etc.... but when there is no time, short stories are quite fine too.

It depends on how a story is written too. If a long story has a wonderful plot but is poorly written, I won't start reading the whole thing.

There's a story in Final Fantasy 9, I think, that's like 28 chapters long. It's called Sympathy for the Damned...I LOVED IT! It was so good! I really wanted more when it was done, and when I went back to see if my review was still there, I couldn't find it... sad.gif

Edited by vivilover69

Bumma(I intentionally spelled it that way so ya! For anyone who cares about grammar!)

Um...long or short, if it's a good fic I'm happy. I have to admit these days I prefer them longer so I'm not just thrown into poorly written smut or longing for more when the story is done.

Hmm...I still write a lot of one-shots but I've begun writing longer full-length fics with big, meaty chapters-of-doom. I think I'm a walking contridiction, though. SOmetimes I think I prefer one-shots because they're easier to plot out and type up. laugh.gif

Read: I often find myself craving for an endless fic to lose myself in...

Write: I'm incapable of writing long stories XD

Longest story I ever wrote was 26 pages, and to be frank: it sucked.

Edited by Zyx

I've written 11 Single Chapter stories and have my novel Flaming Desire at 40,000 words with 11 chapters posted and another one coming. Also have the base of another novel posted. Plus a PWP short story that has 3 chapters now, which strangly enough has more hits and almost more reviews then my novel.

I gravitate towards one-shots or short stories since so many authors have left me hanging with incomplete stories. I only read longer fics if a friend has written it or it's somone I know that won't give up.

I write short stories most of the time because I get too many ideas at once.

For me, the poll was inconsistant because it was either one or the other.

I have only been writing adult literature (you know: smut) for a tad over 6 months but I have yet to come up with a quickie. Everything I have written is long winded (yes, I am full of it). I am working on a one shot wack material with substance and I am already at 20K and 30K is easily just around the corner.

What I read depends on what I find. I will be honest and say that I do not click with most of teh fan fiction I have read because I don't know the subject matter so I tend to read orignal stuff. Length doesn't bother me so long as it is reasonable good. The better whack material seems to be found with the shorter material (imnsho, shit did I just type that? Must be getting lazy at the keyboard now).

• 2 weeks later...

I pretty much seem to be incapable of writing short stories -- everything I've done for the past few years has been at least 100 pages and over. Just too many ideas to write, you know? In terms of reading, I really do enjoy both short PWPs and long, involved tales, especially the ones that keep me on the edge of my seat. Really, the only criteria I have for a tale is that it be fairly well-written. Poor grammar and misspellings turn me off.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry your story isn't getting many hits. :rolleyes:

What do YOU enjoy reading and or writing and if you are a writer, do you notice any difference in your longer stories (as far as hits/reviews) over your shorter ones (under 6 chapters)
I enjoy reading and writing both long and short. But when it comes to reading, I would read them if the story is well put together with a good plot to it, even if it is short or long, and keeps my ineterests. I am not sure about there being a difference in long and short stories when it comes to hits. I think the hits depends on how popular the story is.

I personally prefer a good long story, as long as it keeps my attention and seems like the writer knows what their doing. Otherwise, I end up twitching and stop reading it. On occasion though, theres a good one shot or a short story that just captures your attention and ends at a good point.

Sometimes though, those stories make you want to see more and hope the author will continue to write it. And it sucks that they don't. But hey, that me.

I pretty much seem to be incapable of writing short stories

Ha ha, hisbabybird, I have the exact same problem! Novellas are fairly "easy" for me to write, and novels take some time, but I can do it, it's just the short stories that have me. I suppose a lot of my ideas are fairly complex, and I feel like I just can't tell it in a scene or two. Even at that, though, my chapters tend to be pretty long, about 11-13 pages. That's also saying that my stories tend to not focus on the erotica aspect, but something else. I've only written one sex scene and that was a long time ago. It was so awful I think I tramatized myself into not writing another one.

That will more than likely change, though.

As a reader, I think I'm equally drawn to both short stories and longer stories, depending on what I'm in the mood for, what captures my interest and how well they are written. I do agree that the longer ones that leave you hanging are just aggravating, though.