Click Here!

Lack of reviews.

Solaris

Lack of reviews - like them or hate them?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. Lack of reviews - like them or hate them?

• I hate them, makes me want to pull my stories!
    • I love what reviews I got from my readers even if there isn't many.
    • I don't really mind, as long as people read my stories.

That's slated for the code rewrite project we're engaged in at present. We'd like to have the tags in a field of their own, and give the summary the full 240 characters. That's tight enough without sharing! :)

That would be great. Making them searchable (and excludable, if there are certain tags people want to avoid) would be terrific, too, if it can be done.

That would be great. Making them searchable (and excludable, if there are certain tags people want to avoid) would be terrific, too, if it can be done.

That I wish I could promise you, but I'm not sure that can be included in the scope of the rewrite. What we will try for is having the tags as a searchable field.

That I wish I could promise you, but I'm not sure that can be included in the scope of the rewrite. What we will try for is having the tags as a searchable field.

That's the most important thing, anyway. And its usefulness will be enhanced by the fact that AFF uses standardized tags instead of just having people type in their own, like some sites do (so that you get different results if you search "M/F," "male/female," or "male_female"). That was a wise move on someone's part.

Edited by GeorgeGlass

• 3 months later...

That's slated for the code rewrite project we're engaged in at present. We'd like to have the tags in a field of their own, and give the summary the full 240 characters. That's tight enough without sharing! :)

A: I think this is the best news ever! Will be waiting with great anticipation for the new code re-writes to separate tags from the summary field. Any Idea how long until we'll be hearing about the launch of a new tag field, . . . next year maybe?

A: I think this is the best news ever! Will be waiting with great anticipation for the new code re-writes to separate tags from the summary field. Any Idea how long until we'll be hearing about the launch of a new tag field, . . . next year maybe?

I'm not sure when that will be rolled out. Once we have a better idea of timing, we'll be sure to let everyone know. :D

I'm not sure when that will be rolled out. Once we have a better idea of timing, we'll be sure to let everyone know. :D

A: Good to know. I've run across a couple stories during my time here that did not have much needed tagging in the summary, or the tags were reserved for the very bottom of the specific chapter so I've gotten a couple of rough surprises while reading to be honest. A genuine tag field would remove many excuses for those who like to shock the crap out of the rest of us just because they think they can. I'll be looking forward to the changes, so I can repair my summaries/tags once that is launched at some point in the future. :) No need to put the staff into any extra over worked conditions than you guys already have.

A: Good to know. I've run across a couple stories during my time here that did not have much needed tagging in the summary, or the tags were reserved for the very bottom of the specific chapter so I've gotten a couple of rough surprises while reading to be honest. A genuine tag field would remove many excuses for those who like to shock the crap out of the rest of us just because they think they can. I'll be looking forward to the changes, so I can repair my summaries/tags once that is launched at some point in the future. :) No need to put the staff into any extra over worked conditions than you guys already have.

Hey, some of us hang our hats on shocking the crap outta people, but it only counts if you warn them first and can still pull it off :D

Apparently skinning popular characters alive is cause for anger in some fandoms.

What's the world coming too?

Tsch tsch tsch...that's just not PC (Last statement intentionally left vague...I'm a coward after all - don't knock cowardice, we live longer!) :o

Apparently skinning popular characters alive is cause for anger in some fandoms.

However, if you DON'T skin certain characters alive, you're equally pilloried.

However, if you DON'T skin certain characters alive, you're equally pilloried.

Exactly! I mean, never mind fandoms like Mortal Kombat where flaying is a character special move, some folks just want to see characters skinned. Those dogs from 101 Dalmatians, for example.

At least, that's what Ms De Vil's lawyers have insisted in their defamation suit. And they say that suggesting their client was in any way cruel to do it, is also actionable. Eeep. However, she's willing to settle out of court for a nice leather jacket.

Hey, some of us hang our hats on shocking the crap outta people, but it only counts if you warn them first and can still pull it off :D

A: The fact you're willing to have guts enough to put the tag in the storyline at the top of the chapter is what counts in my book. Shock can be done without being wrongfully underhanded. I am willing to check out things that shock me to a point, but everyone has a line that should not be crossed against their will, and I think you understand that difference. Reading a non con and a fetish tag does not prepare people for certain types of really disturbing fetishes, and that is a fact. I did not know there was a fetish for killing during sex that existed until I came across the wrong fic. I'd heard of strangulation sex before, but never had I heard of blood murder fetish until I was reading a specific story where the tags were hidden until the end of the chapter. Discovering halfway through a chapter that an Original character was getting raped while being dismembered was not a pleasant surprise to me since I had no idea that it was going to be written with such a gruesome amounts of detail. I had to stop reading the story because the tag said "non con" alone. The murder/blood fetish tag was found at the end of the story chapter, not at the beginning. I wish I had been goiven more of a choice in whether or not I was willing to read said chapter. It had the warning listed well after the scene began so I could not report it since the tag was listed at the bottom of said chapter I discovered when I skimmed to see if anything was listed in the afterthought variety A/N I had noticed the writer did add in another chapter.

I don't mind fetishes as a rule, but something that bad in taste was more than I could stomach, and I would have skipped that chapter had I known about the level of twistedness the bad guys were capable of doing no matter what. It was the first non con tag I had ever seen that was that gruesome to be honest, and it has made ma a lot warier about what stories I read of late. Now I double check the sum of the story for A/N's before I read a single chapter of anything just to be certain that bottom of story tags are checked over in the event they exist.

A: Fan girls exist who throw hissy fits over all sorts of stories simply because it does not fit their deluded ideals. Putting the wrong couple together is grounds for a lunch mob it seems. I did that and got to see how many flames and hate filled dramas can get shoved into my reviews on another fan fiction site before the rabid decided that that the way I put it all together truly worked even better than their preferred darlings of choice. ROFL. I don't get the rabid fan girls at all. They screamed and threw fits about the romance I designed, but they also kept reading the stories. Has anyone else ever had that happen to them?

Discovering halfway through a chapter that an Original character was getting raped while being dismembered was not a pleasant surprise to me since I had no idea that it was going to be written with such a gruesome amounts of detail.

I read a Guy N. Smith novel that went a bit like that once. The eighties were great for horror. Now... *growls and grumbles*

I read a Guy N. Smith novel that went a bit like that once. The eighties were great for horror. Now... *growls and grumbles*

A: LOL, yeah, I hear you. I think that had it been portrayed as horror I would have not been so freaked that a living girl was being torn apart while getting raped though. It was listed as a sex fetish variety tale, not a horror flick from hell. :( Considering I was trying to think of an angle for something I am working on, I just decided to check into something involving fetishes since I'm not all that savvy on them to be very honest. ROFL. Voyeurism is one of the few I know much about, and I thought I could find out about others. Needless to say I got a bad shock on that one.