Click Here!

Is Anyone Here A Review Whore?

Squallfan

I know there has been topics about this already, but who out there loves getting reviews. I do, even the littlest ones make me happy. I'm not picky. Just love to know when readers like my work. I don't even mind criticism. I've been helped out a few times with some overlooked grammar. Plus, I review as much as possible. I just feel if you take the time to read something, its great to let the author know they are doing a good job. I don't flame people though, it's just pointless. Yes, yes, I am a big review whore! blush.gif

Guest LadyVirgo1956

I like to see my work review. It gives me a since of accomplishment when I feel the reader enjoys my stories. Being critical is fine but flames I don't like. I've only ever got one review that was both a critism and a flame. I just ignored it because all my other reviews where positive. Funny though I guess someone thought I spoke spanish and wrote me a review in spanish. I ended up deleteing it. So yes I am a Review Whore. blush.gif The more the better.

I'm a conrit-review whore. I don't appreciate squees that much (though I know I should try to). I've never deleted flames, but I don't tend to get any either.

As for reviews in another language - I can read Spanish and French, can figure out Italian and German, and Hindi/Bengali/Urdu transliterated into Roman alphabet is do-able. Still, I want the reviews to be in the same language as the fic. If it's not your first language, that's fine. Just try. This especially applies to l337, because that's one language I really can't read. Don't get me wrong - I'm still learning how to read l337, but it's a long and agonizing process, especially because I don't want to learn how to write in it.

Please give me concrit! I live for concrit. I'll stoop so low as to offer cookies over the internet even though I know it's impossible to deliver, I'm that desperate!

There. Does that above paragraph count for review whoring? I wouldn't know - I don't tend to put stuff like that in my ANs.

I think initially I was a review whore, but I have gotten so few, they've ended up not mattering. I've been fortunate to have gotten some very positive feedback a few times and I appreciate it, nice boost to the ego. Never got a flame, and really no concrit that I can recall. Since no one comments, (but do read my fics) I view it as an opportunity to write what I want, without having to worry about what people think. Kind of weird, but it works for me. thumbsup.gif

I love reviews, I even like flames, to instill emotion in someone is my goal. Anyway, one pointless review I got recently, was just someone telling me how evil I was. It made me smile.

The main thing I think is, do unto others. I try to review every fic I finish, but I have a short attention span, so I need quick chapters and an engaging plot if I'm jumping on the bandwagon late.

Guest Enchanted Faery

I like to leave reviews too, but only if I enjoyed the story, if it sucked I never leave a review cuz all I can think about writing is negative and I don't want to make the person lose confidence in writing. I mean I've read fics that have proper grammar and excellent spelling, but the story just sucked, so I never leave reviews for those. I've also read ones that have horrible grammar and the spelling sucks, with those I leave reviews telling them the story was good but....

Guest lightgoddess

I'm such a review whore that I often squee out loud (yes, my husband thinks there is something wrong with me) when I get a new review...or several. I also try to review the stories that I read because, if you are logged in, often times you'll at least get a look at your stuff from people curious to see what you write.

As for flames, the worst I've gotten has been something to the effect of 'you suck'. The coward was an anon, so I just giggled and left it up. I never, ever delete a review, not even a double post.

As far as leaving flames, well, I prefer to leave con-crit, but if a piece is so bad that I feel like I wasted my life (even 3 seconds), then, yeah, I'll leave a flame. If the author does something so stupid as to post a chapter with one sentence, then, yeah, I'll leave a flame. But, I always try to leave at least a little bit of con-crit after telling said author that they should just chop their own hands off and put everyone out of their misery. I've actually gotten a couple of emails asking why I gave such harsh reviews. smile.gif I politely told them what they could do to make their stuff better and they nicely agreed.

Yup, I like my reviews, sure enough, but as with so many important things, I'm in two minds about them; I really tend to attract those single-line squees and long babbles about some subject that may or may not be related to the story, and while I love knowing that someone out there likes my story, I occasionally find myself hoping to get some rather more in-depth feedback, which scares me silly because then I imagine some fic pro who has been reading and writing for many years, and they'd tell me that I should go back home and grow up. Complicated, eh? biggrin.gif

At least I've gone totally flame-free, so far, although I once managed to attract a hater who had a bit of fun mucking with the rating of one of my stories. I would've understood that people might've not liked it, but suddenly scoring dozens of hits and the rating going down from 5 stars to 2 over night is a bit far-fetched... angry.gif

Heh, I'm one of those serial reviewers as well. tongue.gif

as much as I love recieving, there is nothing I love more than posting a review. I am so full of myself I'm dazed for a couple of days after leaving a particularly good review. (Sheesh, I'm so preachy!)

The elements of a good review: 1) NEVER say: "I know what's going to happen to so and so, you're going to do such and such, aren't you?" This is the worst review, aside from a flame that one person can give to an author. Muses get chased away by good guessers. So even if you know where the story is headed, DON'T SAY IT.

2) DON'T tell the author what to do with their story, even if they ask. If you can't hold back, email them, don't tell them in a review. "Oh, please let the mother live!" when obviously, she's doomed.

3) Always describe how the work made you FEEL, even if it was negative. An author might have been going for that feeling, and to hold back here is death to the story. For example, a certain passage grossed you out, so just say so, then bring up another example of how the author evoked another feeling from you. Authors are trying their best to connect to their readers, not just trying to connect to themselves. If no one is telling that author how that story made them feel, then they might think that the story isn't worth telling.

4) Hey, poster below me, what's another element of a good review? think.gif

Guest Serenanna

a good review . . .

Reviewers who not only say that they love or hated your fic, but tell you why. Why is the hardest question to get answered sometimes. I personally love it when a reviewer points out oh, I loved it for X, Y, Z. This quote "blah, blah" had me in stitches. Ext.

Even negative is good. If something feels off, rushed, tell me. I'll improve.

It reminded me of a review this morning I got after posting the next part of the Way of the Sword. The girl said the last chapter wasn't as good as the others and that she'd stop reviewing, but she didn't mention why. It gave me a chill down my spine and a shot to my confidence, but not the piece of mind to know where I could improve.

To me, that's a bad/useless review, because I can't grow off of it.

Sere

Guest Alien Pirate Pixagi

I rarely get flames or such things, but there are times when posting a parody fic that I've gotten people who too it seriously pinch.gif "You're characterization of Harry is so wrong! He'd never kill someone like that!"

pinch.gif

Though, I do love the reviews that say something to the effect of "You know, I usually HATE this [pairing/fandom/subject/slash/etc.] but I LOVE this story."

That's the kind of stuff I live for right there and makes me want to continue writting. I can't STAND people who ask for particular pairings. No, brat, I will NOT write a Remus/Snape fic, I don't like that pairing. GRR!

although I once managed to attract a hater who had a bit of fun mucking with the rating of one of my stories. I would've understood that people might've not liked it, but suddenly scoring dozens of hits and the rating going down from 5 stars to 2 over night is a bit far-fetched...
I know how you feel, Mourningstar. I've had several stories where the readers have played with the votes. There's one that no matter how others vote it up, it gets voted down again, usually by the next day. I'm pretty sure that it's just one person doing it, and it drives me beserk.

And I'm right there with both of you. I've had a story up for like eight months, completed for close to two, and it's had a five star rating all along. The other day, it went down to four and the twit who rated it down didn't say anything as to why. And I noticed the hits had gone up and I was thinking, is this some kind of grudge rating? A jealousy thing? What? What honks me off is seeing good stories rated down like that, and crappy ones, loaded with bad spelling, grammar and incomplete plots, with five star ratings. I've rated those down, but it doesn't make a dent, they still stay at five.

I'll leave reviews and most of the time, I'll start with suggestions; format better, put spaces between your paragraphs, create new paragraphs when another character starts speaking, spellcheck, the usual stuff. But I always try to find something positive to say as well; good descriptions, interesting idea, something. Only if the author gets a little pissy or prima donna-ish will I get a bit more critical and I'm convinced those authors are pesky, smart-ass kids. With good, or great, stories, I'll try to explain what grabbed me; the tight plotting, the empathy created for a character, the knock your socks off ending that you didn't see coming but made total sense. I believe the latter lets an author know they've got the right stuff, the former is a means to help them along the way.

I rarely get flames or such things, but there are times when posting a parody fic that I've gotten people who too it seriously "You're characterization of Harry is so wrong! He'd never kill someone like that!"

Pixagi, I've had that happen too. My one parody, that I also posted on another site, got the lowest possible rating and tagged OOC. Well...duh! It was a parody I said as much. We all know Snape isn't a mechanic, moron, but how was the story otherwise? AFF readers seemed to like that fic, they got it, but that other site's readers are idiots.

Guest DarkAvenger
but also asked me to update a story that was finished! And has been finished for months. It says so clearly in the details. Hello...are you so brain damaged that you don't know what FINISHED means?!

*head desk* Yes, that and the people who have no clue in heck what a ONESHOT is. Four million "please update soon" reviews on a oneshot = useless, in my opinion.

Or the ones that totally ignore your warnings, no matter how big you write them... and then have the gall to scream at you for wasting their time and "making" them read something that contained X when they /hate/ X.

I always want to tell them that they are wasting /my/ time by reviewing like that. If they can't read the insanely huge font that says what is contained in the chapter, right next to the word "Warnings:" well... that's their own fault and I shouldn't have to read them screaming about how sick I am. <insert stabby smilie here> *cough*

• 1 month later...
Guest scruffington

::Stands up arms flailing:: I am a review whore. Even constructive criticism I don't mind.

<.< I can never seem to get many reviews though.

Is Sparrington really that repelling? Or do I just have my thumb up my arse hole while typing my fiction?

I am oh so much a review whore as SquallFan knows all too well. I really don't care much if it's bad or good just as long as those who leave said reviews are at least courtious about it. I have to tell you though - nothing puts a smile on my face as much as a glowing review for all to see, and I think that's the whole idea right there... I like the notoriety... at least I think that's what it is.... wink.gif