Click Here!

Vocabulary Turn- ONS

lb54

I read the topic vocabulary turn offs

Link: http

://www2.adult-fanfiction.org/forum/inde...showtopic=4436

Question...with all these turn offs, what are words that are turn ons and good for stories? o.O

I didn't want to hijack the thread, so I posted a sister thread here...

• 2 weeks later...
There are no vocabulary turn-ons. A good story is made up of strong sentences and smooth flow, not individual words.

exactly. I read that list and vocab turn-offs and frankly I could care less. I use words from that list all the time in my fics and so far haven't gotten a single complaint.

• 3 weeks later...

Describe what's going on, beyond "they had hot sweaty sex and collapsed in exhaustion afterwards". If he touches her, are his hands smooth, rough, calloused? How does she feel to him? Where does he touch her? What does he smell like? How about her? What does it taste like when they kiss? What sounds are they making? Sighs, moans, grunts? Describe the foreplay, if there is any - done right, it get's the reader turned on too.

• 2 months later...

I know this is a bit late, considering how long ago the initial post was made, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to put my two cents in.

I agree that it's harder to find a vocabulary turn on, or at least define it.

Personally, I think that a work is made better by detail. Give me a descriptive word - even better words - and turn your characters to life in my mind, and you've just sated my vocabulary-lust.

Using our language(s) well, with proper grammar and structure, can really make a story come to life, and that, I think, is a vocabulary turn-on.

..and now that I've thrown that in, I'll scamper off now. (Time for me to go exercise my vocabulary on fan-fiction writing!)

I can't think of any individual words that "make" the story, but I've always thought it was hot when an author skillfully manages to describe an intimate detail explicitly, but without sounding crude or juvenile. I'm hoping that made sense to someone other than myself.

Couldn't agree more. It drives me mad whenever i read a fic that I like, but when I reach the sex scene, it's written rather poorly.

I can't stand using crude or vulgar language in my fics either, so I take some extra time to fix the finer points of my description before posting, no matter how long it takes.

• 1 month later...
Describe what's going on, beyond "they had hot sweaty sex and collapsed in exhaustion afterwards". If he touches her, are his hands smooth, rough, calloused? How does she feel to him? Where does he touch her? What does he smell like? How about her? What does it taste like when they kiss? What sounds are they making? Sighs, moans, grunts? Describe the foreplay, if there is any - done right, it get's the reader turned on too.

YES<3

This is so trueeeeeeeeeee. I love description. If there is too little, I feel like I was cheated. ahhahaha

• 2 weeks later...

I agree completely. I feel completely cheated when you get to a sex scene of a well built story and it's juvenile sounding.

However, I know for some people, describing sexually explicit scenes so that they are a turn on or "poetic" so to speak, can be difficult.

I wrote [okay tried very hard] one explicit scene when I was fifteen and I found it difficult then.....Then again, I had no experience with the subject aside from romance and erotica novels >.<

• 4 months later...
Guest Shenaldrac

Hope this doesn't count as necro, it was still on the first page.

As far as words or phrases that are a turn on go, I like it when a woman refers to her vagina as her "cunny", either in actually speaking or just in her thoughts. There, I said it. I'm not sure why I like it, but I do.

~Shenaldrac

• 4 weeks later...

I really, really prefer erection to most words... my problem is that I'm too imaginative.

If they use staff, I think about an actual staff.

They use rod, I suddenly have a fisher in mind.

I can't help it! ;--;

I guess I like it straight-forward, but it does depend on the story itself. Just so long as there aren't any fancy or silly names for anatomy. I cannot stand it. "His little warrior conquered my little princess." -shudders- (I kid you not, I've read something like that.)

I just like simple no-artsy-fucking-fartsy-bullshit.

I would rather read words that are actually used in the real world.

E.g. I would rather see 'dick' or 'penis' used instead of 'love-rod' or 'throbbing-manhood'. Most of these sort of words cause me to stop reading straight away most of the time, especially 'throbbing-manhood'.

And when people refer to a vagina as 'sex', that's terrible. Like "he move his hand over her sex". For some reason I am seeing this more and more.

I don't have any 'turn-on words' (that I know of), but there are a fuck load of turn-off words being used all too much out there in fan-fic land.

For fuck sake, keep it simple and above all REALISTIC, I say.

Edited by ausyandy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Purple Lizard
I just like simple no-artsy-fucking-fartsy-bullshit.

I would rather read words that are actually used in the real world.

E.g. I would rather see 'dick' or 'penis' used instead of 'love-rod' or 'throbbing-manhood'. Most of these sort of words cause me to stop reading straight away most of the time, especially 'throbbing-manhood'.

And when people refer to a vagina as 'sex', that's terrible. Like "he move his hand over her sex". For some reason I am seeing this more and more.

I don't have any 'turn-on words' (that I know of), but there are a fuck load of turn-off words being used all too much out there in fan-fic land.

For fuck sake, keep it simple and above all REALISTIC, I say.

I couldnt agree with you more, but the sad part is, I'v used "sex" to descibe a pussy before. Largely because there are to few words outhere to dicribe it with out breaking down into highschool terms. And I can't call it a "love box" that one always makes me laugh. And its not just that, there are a few turn-a-phrase out there that kill me. Which brings me back to the topic at hand; turn ons.

Mostly, as others have said, discription, timing, and usage. if done right, I think most anything will work.

The thing I hate is using the same word over and over. Imagine a paragraph where the word dick shows up fourteen times. Or gash fifteen times.

Thats where my problem is, not repeating myself so much the scene becomes monotonous, or using terms so out there their just rediculous.

• 1 month later...
The thing I hate is using the same word over and over. Imagine a paragraph where the word dick shows up fourteen times. Or gash fifteen times.

Thats where my problem is, not repeating myself so much the scene becomes monotonous, or using terms so out there their just rediculous.

That is exactly where I'm having issues in my sex scene right now. I mean, I can write hot little interludes just fine no problem. But a full on sex scene is tough without being highly repetitive. ;)

That is exactly where I'm having issues in my sex scene right now. I mean, I can write hot little interludes just fine no problem. But a full on sex scene is tough without being highly repetitive. :)

use the dictionary of synonimes, I suggest ;)

or borrow some words from another story (of course I don't mean repeating whole expresions or sentences, but useful synonimes);

Yea, there is that idea. I had a few lines from Slash's Sinners fanfic but I deleted them. The only one I recall is "He had to ignore the temptation, dear gods the temptation." I think that little excerpt is from when he's in the Desert in Hoenn.

Seems to me most anything can be a turn on or a turn off. It's all about how the word is used. If you're really into a story, even if you read your least favorite word, you're likely to ignore it. At least I am.

I agree that repeat words are a bummer. I'd say a turn on for me would be creative ways around saying the same word over and over, eluding to something rather than spelling it out.

• 2 weeks later...

While agreeing that it's more the, elemental feelings of a scene that make it stick with you.

I am a fan of the term 'Flesh Dagger' in reference to the male body part.

I feel it adds a certain something, nice driving piercing image invoked while deviating from the traditional.

I have yet to field test this however.

Guest Dollymop

As a yaoi writer I definitely have a few words of the male variety that I prefer to read and write. But this is purely my opinion. I think that when you're writing you have to please yourself as well as readers. Readers all have their own opinions but it's your story. If you hate the word 'dick', don't use it in every sentence just because you're worried readers will dislike it if you use 'manhood'. Which personally I think is a better word than dick but it seems to have an unfair prejudice against it xD

I'm not a prude (I don't think?) but I seem to lean towards indirect references. Like:

Hardness

Arousal

Sex

Manhood

Length

'Pressure between his thighs' (I use that one a lot...)

I also don't mind 'cock'. But personally I only use it now and then.

Unfortunately, I have a hatred for the word 'balls' and have been spending some time trying to find a delicate replacement. Sadly, there seems to be very little choice and I refuse to use the word 'gonads' ;)

• 11 months later...

I agree with what most others have already said here. The way a word is used or the context around it is what helps make it a turn on or not. There are certain words, however, no matter how they are used, that still completely throw me off (who ever thought that "magic stick" was a good name for a penis should be slapped in the face with one).

There are words I do like to see used more often than others. Cock, for example. Dick is all right, but cock sounds more sexy to me (actually, I am willing to go as far to say that I love the word cock :lol: ). Pussy is okay, unless it's used too much. Sometimes I find one character calling another character "Daddy" very erotic, but that has more to do with context because there are other times when a character says it and I'm like "ew..."

As long as the words a writer chooses are not too out there ("love box" or "man-meat" for example) then the words don't matter as much as the quality of the writing surrounding them.

• 9 months later...