Click Here!

I had to have my cat put to sleep

October 16th. I took my cat to the vet. She had been looking pretty sick for over two weeks and I couldn't ignore it any more. I kept telling myself "I can't afford to take her to the vet." but it got to the point to where I had no choice.

I took her and found out she had lost 4 pounds, fully half of her standard body weight(she was a small cat). Upon giving her a blood test the vet found out that she had hardly any red blood cells left, imparing oxigen to her brain and explaining her eradict, odd behavior as of late. I gave them the ok to "hospitalize" her and look after her for a few days.

"A few days" did't come. Not even less than an hour I recived a call telling me that my darling Zima had a seizure and was near death. I rushed to the vet and found her in such bad condition. She was struggling to stand but couldn't, her brain was so oxygen deprived. She was meowing like she was scared as hell. It was the most horrific thing I have seen in my life, even when I worked at BAMC, the largest burn center in the world where I took care of soldiers wouned from IEDs in Iraq I hadn't seen anything that raped me psychologically than seeing my cat under such horrible circumstances. I petted her a bit and got her to calm down and told her I loved her. Then I told the vets to put her down, I was the only option left. She wasn't even 5 years old.

It still hurts even now. She was the only one who was unquestioninly loyal to me. She was the only one I could really talk to freely and now she's gone. I was her master and it was my responisbility to take care of her but I failed. I didn't take her illness seriously enough. No, maybe thats not it. I wanted to take her to the vet sooner, I seriously wanted to but I'm poor. I can bearly pay the bills let alone afford crazy vet bills. That one hour of treatment she recived cost me over $200. If I had taken her sooner more than likely it would have wiped my bank account and she would have died anyway.

In short, her life had become economically infeasible. And that sickens me.

I wonder sometimes if this horrible sense of failure will ever leave. I wonder if this sense of emptiness will go away. I can't look at my house, my room, myself with out feeling as if I've lost a part of me that I will never ever get back. Sometimes I wake up at night and think that she's there asleep on my bed as always but then quickly realize that she's not. Sometimes think just for a moment that she's in the room eating food out of her bowl but then quickly realize that she's not. These phantoms continue to haunt me. Zima was an important part of me, she was the one who got to see the real me and didn't judge me. She was the one who loved me unconditionally. And I failed her horribly. If I were well off financially she would probably still be alive.

Zima.jpg

zima.jpg

zima3.jpg

I'm sorry for your loss. I understand completely. I have lots of vet bills that went on credit cards. I just recently put myself in a financial hole because one of our dogs has an allergy that caused her to lose a huge patch of her fur.

And we recently adopted two kittens who needed wormed and their shots. Then they got pink eye and lung infections. I am fortunate enough to have a vet that cuts me a break by not charging me for an office visit when we took them for pink eye. But still, not all of our bills got paid this month.

Last year we had to put a dog down for heartworm because we couldn't afford the incredibly expensive treatment. Pets enrich our lives so much, but unfortunately their health care is just as expensive as ours.

I love animals because they don't judge. I can be as crazy as I want, I have two kittens in my lap and if I get up to go to the bathroom they'll follow me. They insist on being in whatever room I'm in.

• 1 year later...
Guest livid fire

I also have a cat. I rescued her form the street.

I have no money for a vet.period.

I can't pay for my "vet" let alone hers.

I hope she wont get sick cause I will have to put her to sleep(my only option).

I'm sorry for your loss. And my advice to you is to get a new cat a.s.ap.

It will fill the void, and this time you could do a better job taking care of it.

My cat's tail and balance center is a bit off since somone borke her tail in two places.

I thought I reseted the bone right and there was no need for a vet, it turned out I was wrong.

So I'm a failure as owner too:(

As one FAO to another, get well soon!

Edited by livid fire