Click Here!

Minor update

DemonGoddess

scheduled for tomorrow I think (provided time works out for it anyway)

Two, actually.

One is to bring the board current, the other is a fix for the guest posting to hopefully avoid the spam we've been getting lately. An enhancement to it.

Before I do the version upgrade though, I will be making sure that any modifications in place, are not affected. That will affect how long the version upgrade will take. To combat the spam, I'll putting all guest forums on posting moderation. What this means, is that when you post, the topic won't automatically appear, it'll have to be approved. A pain for all of you who are supposed to be able to use the forum, but it'll kill the spam. So, don't freak if the post or topic doesn't appear immediately, there will be someone going through all the queues fairly regularly, several times a day.

Also, Invisionboard has announced that 3.0 is going to be ready for beta turn of the year. So, I'll be putting up a test forum to have a look at what it's got, and then prepping the forum for the full release after beta is over. There are significant changes in code, which means that the modifications may or may not carry over properly. So, until the mod developers catch up to it, we may have to do without some of the toys at first. But, that is a few months away at least, so not a problem at the moment.

• 4 weeks later...

The upgrade has been delayed, more properly, it's been hijacked by the archive, and other things I've had to do with it. As the archive is the primary program, it, of course, takes priority. In any case, the thing I've been working on for it is almost done (only 2 more sub domains to go), and then I'll do this upgrade.

• 3 weeks later...

Ran into a bit more of a snag than I anticipated :P.

There are files I need to change, in order to do the upgrade in the first place so we don't end up with the "white screen of death". Unfortunately, the hosting company has the files inaccessible to me, so I have to get with one of their techs to do what I need, so I can do this upgrade. Which is, though minor, rather an important one, as it has a whole new schema for handling spambots, which is much better than what was there. The good thing about the inaccessibility I've mentioned, is that it's a strong protection for the domain. After all, if I can't get into it with direct domain wide file access, it makes it that much harder for a hacker to as well. :)

So, FINALLY got access to the file I needed to, to increase the php memory limits for the forum. I will be upgrading it here shortly.

Please be aware this board is heavily modified, and that many of the mods may not work right, or at all, until I re-port them in to the board. So, don't be surprised if, say you're wanting to play in the arcade, it won't let you.

While the upgrade itself will take roughly 1/2 hour, the modification stuff will take several hours, and that may be spread over a period of several days. Sort of depends on what else is going on both here at the site itself, and for me personally.

The BIG thing this update addresses is better spam and spambot control. There is also a date fix, related to daylight savings time and how the board itself sees time globablly. Quite a few other minor tweaks, but I what they all are I don't remember.