Click Here!

Clothing in Stories- Descriptions and Tastes

Sparrow

Anyone else find themselves enjoying describing clothing in their stuff? I have to admit, it’s pretty hard sometimes, especially with more intricate or unconventional items, like ones with lots of straps or gaps in them (looking at you, Ivy from SolCal!). Or where I simply don’t know how to describe something, can think of a few that have been like that. 

And yet I find it really good fun. I’ve even been trying to come up with wholly new designs for characters to wear, or that I might commission someone to do art of if I enjoy what I’ve come up with enough.

Any of the rest of you have any similar thoughts or experiences? Anyone have any advice on how to better describe more unusual outfits, or how to come up with new ones?

Edited by Sparrow

My friend and frequent beta Jomahawk has been helpful to me in pointing out when I’ve failed to describe clothing (and especially lingerie) in sufficient detail and in making suggestions about what characters should wear.

I’ve also done a certain amount of googling to learn more about the varieties that bras, panties, bikinis, etc come in. And just googling “unusual sexy outfit” or something like that can give you ideas. 

11 minutes ago, GeorgeGlass said:

I’ve also done a certain amount of googling to learn more about the varieties that bras, panties, bikinis, etc come in. And just googling “unusual sexy outfit” or something like that can give you ideas. 

If you’re googling that, might I suggest a separate PROFILE in your favorite browser?  Keep those results out of your normal web-browsing ads?

1 hour ago, Desiderius Price said:

If you’re googling that, might I suggest a separate PROFILE in your favorite browser?  Keep those results out of your normal web-browsing ads?

Have you considered that this is George’s phone? Trust me, its web-browsing history is legendary. :lol: Rather like its spell check and predictive typing. :lol: 

12 hours ago, Desiderius Price said:

While I tend to opt for nudists in my stories (thus, clothes aren’t an issue), might suggest browsing around fashion sites/shows or the like?

Yeah, that’s usually my main recourse. Something I’ve been finding useful lately are various tumblrs that people have set up for exact this purpose. This one in particular I found the other day, already found a couple of outfits that could be of use in future.

1 hour ago, GeorgeGlass said:

My friend and frequent beta Jomahawk has been helpful to me in pointing out when I’ve failed to describe clothing (and especially lingerie) in sufficient detail and in making suggestions about what characters should wear.

I know what you mean, a friend of mine once told me that the most common mistake he sees in fanfic, and he included my work in this, was that people seldom bother to really describe what characters look like in stuff. Since then I’ve been trying to do my best to get better at it.

How much detail do you tend to go into where lingerie is concerned? Like, how far can you go with it, beyond just naming what the items are?

1 hour ago, marley_station said:

Using an image found online as the basis for the description helps – in some cases the image can be included with the story.

For sure, like I said earlier that tends to be my usual MO. That being said, sometimes even having it to hand can’t really help. I definitely remember once when I was doing a Mass Effect story, trying to describe one of the space-dresses the character’s wearing (this one, I do believe it was) I had absolutely no idea how to describe the criss-crossy bits at the front in any way other than, well, that. Thinking about it, I do wonder if just sticking it into the story would’ve been the best option. God knows I have enough pics already for stuff like that.

Furthermore, sometimes I want to come up with outfits of my own devising, that’s usually the hardest part cause I don’t know a screaming thing about clothing design. Best I’ve done so far, for references when commissioning art or whatever, tends to be just putting together bits and pieces of other outfits that I’ve seen.

Edited by Sparrow

I guess for me it really does depend on how necessary the detail is for the story. I tend to like to leave a good bit to the reader’s imagination, so if I’m talking about a male character in an everyday setting, I might mention that he wore a blue linen shirt, open at the throat and with the sleeves folded back, over a pair of tan chinos. (Yes, business casual, sorry...) It’s a pretty generic description, and the reader can imagine the shade of blue they like best, whether or not it’s a buttondown collar, if the tails are tucked in or hanging out, or if the chinos are pleated or flat-front.

Now, if I was describing a bondage collar, I might say it had a black leather gorget, lined with silk, with a gleaming d-ring for a leash on the front, and so on. That sort of kit really does need more detail, in my opinion, if you have a certain position or image of the bound character that is crucial to the story. Or you can just go for the wrists tied to the headboard with an old school tie, or the belt from a bathrobe, if you want fast and dirty, and get teh characters naked as fast as possible to avoid having to describe clothing.

Women’s clothing, unfortunately, tends to be ridiculously fussy when it comes to suggestive/revealing/sexy wear. The dress you linked above? It could be described as a clinging, highnecked sheath with cutouts down the front, or perhaps with strips of fabric criss-crossing her taut abdomen to reveal tawny skin. Google fashion sites, like Des suggested, and try to find ones with descriptions of the clothing to get an idea of ways to get it across to a reader.

2 hours ago, BronxWench said:

Have you considered that this is George’s phone? Trust me, its web-browsing history is legendary. :lol: Rather like its spell check and predictive typing. :lol: 

Still good advice for anybody who doesn’t want the two tied together.  (Especially if they’re on a work screen-share zoom call.)

3 hours ago, Sparrow said:

How much detail do you tend to go into where lingerie is concerned? Like, how far can you go with it, beyond just naming what the items are?

I often talk about color, material, and cut. For example, in my upcoming Christmas story, Santa’s (anthropomorphic) reindeer are doing a photoshoot to make a sexy calendar for charity. For the shoot, Dancer and Prancer wear matching demi-bras and panties (Dancer’s in red, Prancer’s in green), and the panties are high cut to show off their shapely legs.

16 hours ago, BronxWench said:

Women’s clothing, unfortunately, tends to be ridiculously fussy when it comes to suggestive/revealing/sexy wear.

Yep, that’s been what I’ve come across as well. Either it’s really complicated or quite plain. Your description of the Mass Effect one is pretty good though, quite a bit better than what I think I ended up coming up with in the end.

15 hours ago, GeorgeGlass said:

I often talk about color, material, and cut. For example, in my upcoming Christmas story, Santa’s (anthropomorphic) reindeer are doing a photoshoot to make a sexy calendar for charity. For the shoot, Dancer and Prancer wear matching demi-bras and panties (Dancer’s in red, Prancer’s in green), and the panties are high cut to show off their shapely legs.

I’m very glad you specified they’re anthropomorphic, I was getting the screwdriver ready to dig that mental image out before it could put down roots. But that’s a good example, and probably about as far as I’d go with something like that in my own work. Out of curiosity, though, how would you describe a demi-bra there? I had to look it up to be sure what it was, and I feel like, if I were doing it, I’d try and specify how it’s different from a regular one.

8 hours ago, Sparrow said:

Out of curiosity, though, how would you describe a demi-bra there? I had to look it up to be sure what it was, and I feel like, if I were doing it, I’d try and specify how it’s different from a regular one.

I didn’t actually try to describe it in that case, but I probably should. I might use a phrase like “...demi-bras, which left everything above the nipple uncovered.”

10 hours ago, GeorgeGlass said:

I didn’t actually try to describe it in that case, but I probably should. I might use a phrase like “...demi-bras, which left everything above the nipple uncovered.”

Legit. See, yeah, that’s the kind of detail I like to go into. Not just describing what something is, but what it actually looks like. I feel like that’s what really gives a description life instead of just being a list.

Have heard from some that it can make my writing somewhat dense as a result, but eh. I like it that way.

Same principle applies, thinking about it, with characters’ whole appearances. Not just clothing, but I like trying to dig into their whole look, how their face looks, their body, the whole thing. Especially if there’s something about them that means they’d stand out from the norm. Films or games or whatever might make a go of it, but you can go so much deeper into these things with prose.

Kicking myself now for never getting around for figuring out any particular ways that Miranda could’ve stood out, appearance-wise, from normal humans in the story I mentioned the other day. Anyone have any ideas, just out of curiosity?

Or indeed any thoughts on describing characters’ whole appearances. Faces are definitely the one thing I struggle the most on myself, if that helps.

Suppose the best question is how much detail do you want?  Need to know it’s 60% cotton / 40% polyester?  A chapter, a paragraph, a sentence, or a few words?  Gender (identity) matters too.  For boys, “green T-shirt” is likely sufficient to get an image.  For girls, lace, frills, buttons, beads, zippers?  I tend to view it from the perspective of another character, what’s the first couple of things that are noticed?  Outer garments, shirts & jeans being the biggest targets.  For younger characters, the shirts might often be promotional, so an orange Safari World T-shirt, for instance.  Underwear matters for lesser dressed characters.  Of course, if the character is wearing their “LUCKY” socks/underwear, describe that!  Or, simply dress a 4-year old in a Batman T-shirt and they’ll be unafraid!

Another source of ideas, catalogs, if you can find them.

Edited by Desiderius Price
typo

8 hours ago, Desiderius Price said:

Suppose the best question is how much detail do you want?  Need to know it’s 60% cotton / 40% polyester?  A chapter, a paragraph, a sentence, or a few words?  Gender (identity) matters too.  For boys, “green T-shirt” is likely sufficient to get an image.  For girls, lace, frills, buttons, beads, zippers?  I tend to view it from the perspective of another character, what’s the first couple of things that are noticed?  Outer garments, shirts & jeans being the biggest targets.  For younger characters, the shirts might often be promotional, so an orange Safari World T-shirt, for instance.  Underwear matters for lesser dressed characters.  Of course, if the character is wearing their “LUCKY” socks/underwear, describe that!  Or, simply dress a 4-year old in a Batman T-shirt and they’ll be unafraid!

Another source of ideas, catalogs, if you can find them.

Yeah, true. There’s always a point when if you add anymore it’s just useless faff that’s slowing the scene down.

Should probably qualify my statement from earlier by saying I do like there to be an actual point to it, not just having it there for the sake of it (mostly). Most obvious one is for characterisation purposes, though now I think about it I’m struggling to recall any stand-out examples of having done it this way in my work so far, lol. Don’t I feel silly.

Anyone got some tips to pass along in that regard?

1 hour ago, Sparrow said:

Yeah, true. There’s always a point when if you add anymore it’s just useless faff that’s slowing the scene down.

Should probably qualify my statement from earlier by saying I do like there to be an actual point to it, not just having it there for the sake of it (mostly). Most obvious one is for characterisation purposes, though now I think about it I’m struggling to recall any stand-out examples of having done it this way in my work so far, lol. Don’t I feel silly.

Anyone got some tips to pass along in that regard?

A bit of extra description can definitely be fun, and certainly draw the line where you’re still having fun writing!  Now, if you need to delve into a two chapter description on the manufacturing of that top button securing that blouse, I’d likely skip reading that bit, unless it was super-important (like smithed in the mines of Moria and has a minature family tree spanning back a thousand generations or something like that, power to smite your enemies, or maybe even cursed to fail in front of your true love). 

One trick I read about years ago, and still use today, is to get very specific to one detail of an item, and let it carry the reader’s imagination.  Such as the ornate carving on the switch to the green lamp sitting on the sofa’s end-table, the one the flying black hockey puck smashed while the boys were using a baseball bat.  A blood soaked athletic sock left footprints in the shag carpet as the culprits tried to evade their mother’s wrath.

Of course, other times, a bit of repetition is useful too.  ie. Describing Jarred’s bedroom’s walls as the dirt brown and grass green of the Albuquerque Outlaws, with matching sheets lining his twin sized bed, emphasizing that he’s a fan of that team.

Edited by Desiderius Price

On 12/11/2021 at 11:31 AM, Sparrow said:

And yet I find it really good fun. I’ve even been trying to come up with wholly new designs for characters to wear, or that I might commission someone to do art of if I enjoy what I’ve come up with enough. My Advice, Take the setting and then go what wouldn’t they wear?

Any of the rest of you have any similar thoughts or experiences?

Anyone have any advice on how to better describe more unusual outfits, or how to come up with new ones?

Take their aesthetic and go from there.

For example, Bob

Bob is a necromancer.

• Fantasy- The man before you clutches a staff made of a spinal column, His robes are black and his jewelry all have bones or skulls he attended by two skeletons one of whom is carrying a silver platter and the other is infront of him protectively
  • Urban Fantasy- This man is unaware of your arrival. His boots are covered in dirt as he toils adding components best left unmentioned as he repairs his skeletal motorcycle from the excavated coffins around him. A despondent moan issues from the coffins as one by one they all uprose. His focus is entirely on his task of repairing his damaged cycle. His chaps and thick black leather jackets makes you think he’s a biker or some sort. He stands up ramrod straight suddenly as his ruby necklace flashes and then he turns. The ruby holding within it a fiery baleful eye. “ You’’ll do nicely.”
  • Cyberpunk- There was crashing on the door as broken servos whirled in futility. “I know you are in there!” You turned frightened as the dead monitors one by flicker on despite being cannibalized for parts. “Do not attempt to adjust your television” The man’s voice snarked. Dead pale hands plunge through the old monitor and clasp the edges of the screen and then something. No! someone came through. A seamless transition of digital to physical. Brilliant white tattoos thrummed with vigor as the man pulled himself free. His skeletal markings pulsing in-time with with your heartbeat. Old jeans ripped and torn expose more of those garishly white bone tattoos. His t-shirt barely showcasing some ancient vintage band “Don’t worry Corpo scum. I’m sure, I’ll find a use for you… One way or another.”
  • Space Fantasy- “Oh thank god.” Came a tired but relieved voice. You stir softly as the cyrogel disperses and is absorbed back into the capsule. You take a moment to look around. This was not the world promised in the brochure. Your capsule slowly opens and the faint stench death assault your lungs. There is a nervous employee with a holographic badge proudly displaying ‘BOB’ With a smiling emoji. “Holy shit, you’re dead!” You gasp in astonishment. “Mostly dead, Also means slightly alive and with the forbidden art the difference in degrees is staunchly important!” You shiver at the corpse, because that’s exactly what he was. Half his face was torn completely off revealing smooth bone and a rictus grin. “Mom always was worried that the cyrogenics capsule wouldn’t work so she fret until I was competent enough to master death. That’s neither here nor there.Right now I need you to vacate to level three if you please!” You look around the generational ship that was deathly quiet. “Where is everyone?” The employee looked agitated. “Okay, brief version and you really need to get to level three. Something hit the ship, everyone on this level is dead except for you… and we’re not alone.” A corpse smashes into your capsule wetly. 
  • Midwest/ Antebellum Fantasy- At first you were hesitant about the hired help. Yet, there they were skeletons dutifully holding out your corset, petticoats and even your hoopskirt. The moment you got out of bed and relieved yourself. They diligently helped you into your day clothes with nary a complaint. The dead maybe could be more useful than merely rotting inthe ground. There was a knock at the door and there was your favorite yank. Bob in his dark blues saber and revolver on his hip. You could feel death pulsing off the immaculately groomed pistol. “Time to go Miss!”
  • WW2 – From the constant bombardment, the omnipresence of the artillery and the cries of the wounded and the dying. Winter had come and with it hell itself. They’d understand they all would. You just wanted to visit a random-city in Europe. You look at yourself in the mirror and try to ignore the haggard and haunted look upon your face. Your clothes shredded yet still somehow providing relief from the bitter chill. They all look at you with vacant eyes. You refused to die here… And they were all dead anyway. Just a few more days… Right? Then you could get rations again and then you could stop… You try to rub off the dead blood staining your lips, your cheeks. Tears streamed silently down your reflection and like scavenging wolves they scrambled to hug you. Your emerald ring throbbed and part of you wants to take it off. Death would be quick as you are torn apart yet you don’t. “Just a few more days. Bob!” The dead are not warm and there is no comfort.

I look at fashion throughout the ages and try to mix and match. Sometimes it  doesn’t work but when it does *chef kiss*

• 3 months later...

Hi, all.

For what it’s worth, here’s what I’ve noticed, and what I try for.  “Background” people, the prose equivalent of extras in a movie or TV show, dress according to their station in life and the time in which you find them.  The degree to which you describe them goes up in their importance, whether as background scenery, or as they emerge to actually become characters.  So, “a teenager working the cash register at McDonalds” is background.  “The order taker at McDonalds seemed sad as he was working.  His company polo, while clean, was starting to fray around the edges of the sleeves, as was his composure.  But he still took my order without delay, or getting it wrong.” is starting to become a character.  “I picked Joe up at McDonalds as soon as his manager let him clock out.  He had a fresh company polo in his hands when he got into the car.  The company polo he was wearing was just as worn-out as he looked.  The disposable paper hat, which he normally threw away the second he clocked out, was still on his head.  His normally pale complexion was just that much whiter, and even his dark black pants were starting to gray.  His work sneakers were also starting to blow out.  Getting both outed and dumped by the boyfriend I told him he shouldn’t try dating was wearing on him far more than he was willing to admit.” has become a lead character, and is likely one you already introduced earlier.

The way a person chooses and wears clothes can tell you about the character’s personality, or at least the personality you are having the character portray at the moment.  In real life, people do deliberately dress differently from how they usually would.  If your viewer understands this, then their normally jeans-and-tee shirt character showing up in a tuxedo. or the normally dapper and nearly overdressed all the time character showing up in worn out jeans also tells you about the character’s current mood.  Likewise, the choice and condition of their clothing directly describes their wealth and social standing.  “The twelve year old boy was wearing an untucked tee shirt that had been white, but was still clean  He had what appeared to be a pack of cigarettes rolled into his left sleeve and onto the top of his shoulder.  His jeans were faded and frayed, and about three inches shorter than what most boys his age wore.  He wore a black belt, but its color was more a memory than a fact.  His feet were bare as he walked briskly down the front steps of his house, grabbing a pair of work boots as he passed them.  I noticed that there were no socks in the boots, either.  He carried the boots by the laces and slung over his right shoulder as he walked past me, having some place he planned on getting to quickly yet without running in the early morning warmth.”

The character’s choice of clothing, and how they wear it, can also help build the scene.  “She was wearing a gauzy peach-silk and lace mid-thigh length chemise, over red lace see-through panties.  The shoelace thickness shoulder straps stood out almost seductively against the skin of her shoulders.  Her finger and toe nails also sparkled with peach nail polish.  Her lipstick was a seductive dark red, and she wore only elegant traces of eyeliner.  Her thong type sandals were also light peach, with darker peach gauzy straps.  Her garments almost screamed passion and seduction.  However, there are some things a fifty-six year old woman with graying alopecia riddled stringy hair, general hygiene issues, and who weighed over five hundred pounds should never wear, particularly not to their mother’s funeral at the Baptist Church in a small Southern town.  And Chloe managed to easily check all the boxes.”

Thanks.

Edited by Wilde_Guess
removed duplicate word