Click Here!

What is it with people and their fear of negative reviews?

Guest CanadianGinger

Guest CanadianGinger

I have read MANY stories on various websites including AFF, and have noticed a rather tragic trend amongst reviewers and authors. It seems as if people are afraid of, you guessed it, negative reviews.

Now, when I say negative, I don't mean those reviews which are all out burn-the-hair-off-your-head-flames, I will admit those are annoying. When I say negative reviews, I mean a review in which a reader dislikes an aspect of your story, and states so in a reasonable manner.

Now, usually these reviews are packed with useful suggestions on grammar, plot line, character, or general ways to improve one's writing style. Whether you choose to take them into consideration is your own prerogative.

So here is my overall point: Why are people so duly terrified to give a negative response, or receive one?

I mean, I'm not going to pinpoint any one story in particular, but I've read quite a few stinkers, and yet they have marvelling reviews. Now, when I say "stinker" I mean the person chronically spells the name of the main character wrong, seems to have trouble using periods and capitals, and to top it off they use chat speak (ttyl, omg, wtf, lol) throughout their story.

Soooo, why does not one reviewer take it upon themselves to point out a few errors to the author. Not in a rude way, of course, I in no way condone unnecessarily cruel feedback, but COME ON.

And authors, why is it some of you become so distressed by constructive criticism? I've seen people delete their WHOLE story and simply post up a chapter flaming someone who was in no way out of their place by correcting mistakes via review. It is ridiculous.

Alright, enough of my ranting, I just can't understand the theory or logic behind the cowardice of reviewers and the sensitivity of writers.

What are your opinions on this? Do you leave negative reviews? Do you mind receiving constructive criticism? What is your overall viewpoint on this? I'm truly curious to see what others feel.

Guest CanadianGinger

I am the same way. I appreciate any review I get, negative or positive. They inspire me to keep writing or to fix up my stories. There is nothing more satisfying than writing and actually getting some solid feedback on it.

I think many people post stories for the soul purpose of getting pats on the back; they're just not interested in criticisms, because they take that as a personal attack rather than a critique of the story. Also, the really rubbish stories often, I think, get reviewed by the "author's" friends, who feel obligated to just say nice things to save trouble. If the story is that badly written, other people would likely quickly see how bad it is, cringe, and simply move onto another story.

I leave negative reviews, but only if the author has made it very clear that they really do want a proper critique. Those sort of people are here to actually try and improve their writing, and therefore are happy when people point out mistakes their making. I always try to do it in a positive, encouraging way. Sadly, though, a great many people are only interested in hearing how great they are.

I tend not to review really bad stories, but skip to the next one. I tend to leave concrit on ones I like, where I see the author has put some effort into the story and might want to know about places to tweak or mistakes to fix. I usually try to list all the things I especially liked, and then say, "as far as concrit, all I could find was..." to make it clear I'm not dissing the work, and to de-fang the critique.

It's hard, though. I tend to pull my punches on stories by some of my friends, depending largely on whether they've given me good concrit. I've had a few folks (never on AFF; reviews are so hard to come by here) who will give me honest -- I think -- opinions, and a detailed breakdown of what they like and don't like, awkward phrasing, and typos (a rare item). If they tend to show an editor's eye for detail and their insights aren't arbitrary ("I thought this was lame" doesn't help much), I am more likely to return the favor as well as I can, confident I won't be hurting feelings.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Flesh_Seraph
I have read MANY stories on various websites including AFF, and have noticed a rather tragic trend amongst reviewers and authors. It seems as if people are afraid of, you guessed it, negative reviews.

Greetings from a fellow Canadian. People dislike negative reviews for the following reasons, which have more to do with human nature than rational thought.

1. Most authors are not here to improve. A large percentage of the people on AFF are here to cultivate cults of personality around their writing, they are more interested in acceptance than improvement. Therefor, they want large numbers of positive reviews to prove their appeal. If there's any first impression I've taken from browsing around this site, it's that the authors are good people, but absolutely in love with their own work. They are constantly plugging it, referring to it, pulling examples from it to use in forum discussions. Negative reviews are reminders that their work does not appeal to everyone.

2. Most negative reviews have an agenda. When I don't like a story (but like the author), I might consider sending some advice via PM, but there's no way I'd rip him or her in half via public review, pointing out every little fuck-up and bad premise. Unless, of course, my goal was to prove how smart I was to the rest of AFF, or to embarass the author because he didn't do justice to my preferred fandom, or some combination of the two. See what I'm getting at here? Many negative reviews are exercises wherein the reviewer tries to show how "smart" he or she is. Nobody would ever publicly skewer the works of anyone they respect, they'd send a PM. So a negative review is a slap in the face.

So, in short, the reason you see this sort of behaviour is:

A. Authors are self-important drama queens who love praise and hearing about how great their stories are. Even if a criticism is justified they usually don't want to hear it. Fanfic writers are so far up the asses of their own words that in attacking the work, you're essentially attacking them.

B. Many people who leave negative reviews are douche bags who tend to take too much glee in pointing out flaws, usually with the intent of making themselves look like a respected critic. But the standard of excellence is so absolutely barrel-bottom low in fanfic writing that criticizing bad work is almost a waste of time.

The authors here need to get over themselves and the reviewers need to understand that nobody wants to receive constructive criticism in public. My personal methodology is to leave friendly reviews about work I like, refrain from commenting on work I don't like, and if someone ASKS me for criticism, I will give it.

- FS

PS: You can of course make a strong argument that people who publish work to a site ostensibly for the purpose of peer review deserve whatever they get. I understand this viewpoint, but I believe if you really look inside most authors, you will find someone who is set in their ways and not interested in receiving negative feedback from anyone but a close friend or respected peer- and even then, certainly not in public.

Edited by Flesh_Seraph

Guest MortiferLascivio

I wouldn't call those types of reviews "negative" because they are helping the author in a positive way by critiquing aspects of the story that need work: grammar, plot, characterization etc, etc. However, in response to your question, I think people do not like these types of reviews because they don't want to be told that they're wrong about something. People sometimes firmly believe what they say, goes, and no amount of constructive critism will change their minds. They just want their story the way they want to write it and that's that.

I can see where they're coming from. There's something extremely unnerving about getting a review full of things that are wrong with my story. Now, I never get angry at these reviews and I always appreciate them and do what I can to improve by them, but it's human nature not to like being pointed out each and every flaw of something you've done. It also depends on how the review is worded, if it's just pointing out everything wrong, then it can be disheartening, but if there are also a few words of encourgament in there somewhere, then my attitude towards the review changes to gratitude and acceptance.

I can't blame someone for NOT liking "negative" reviews, but I don't see why they would be terrified of them and reject them when they come. It's all a part of being a writer and growing as one.

• 2 weeks later...

I think we're beginning to foster a culture of entitlement in the West: that everybody must be nicey-nicey to everybody all the time, and don't dare cricitise them, no matter how well-intentioned you are. We're not quite at such a dystopia yet, but I fear we're heading in that direction. So to me, it's important in principle to mention areas in which a fanfic can be improved, so I'll happily say so in a review.

Nobody, as has been said before, likes a negative review, so personally I sandwich my concrit between two bits of praise. I usually start off by telling them what I liked, so that they know what they got right. After all, if the author clearly went for one kind of effect or another, then they'll be glowing with pride seeing that it's been noticed.

Bear in mind also that a review is for other readers to read before they decide to delve into the story themselves. So the review should, by rights, be accessable to other readers. They want to know what you think too.

Concrit does sting the ego a little, but what's wrong with a little bit of that once in a while? It makes the positive reviews all the better, especially when you see them improve after you've put a piece of concrit into practice!

I, myself, who want to publish a book someday appreciate more negative reviews than good ones. Bad reviews are as obstacles on your way: you have go to take them head on and break through them by correcting and surpassing your own self.

Guest pontaloon

i personally like any kind of review. it shows me that people took the time to read my fic and that im not all alone in my little corner with no one noticing me... seriously though, if its a flame ill just ignore it, if its to tell me i rule ill love the person who wrote it forever and if it tells me what i can improve i can be nothing but thankful.

i have to admit that it is bad if you have nothing but negative reviews becuase the person reading them may not want to read your fic becuase of them. then again, i dont know many people who read the reviews before the actual fic, so even then its no big deal

Most people in the fanfiction community, for some bizarre reason, seem to view writing as a massive circlejerk where the only purpose is the approval of others via reviews. Of course you shouldn't be writing at all if all you want is the approval of others, but unfortunately this is not the case. To address the question, the fear of negative reviews is specifically tied to the above desire for hugs all around, where even the ugliest girl can find someone to say her eyes are pretty. To be honest, though, negative reviews are borderline impossible to find as the standards are dreadfully low.

• 1 month later...
Most people in the fanfiction community, for some bizarre reason, seem to view writing as a massive circlejerk where the only purpose is the approval of others via reviews. Of course you shouldn't be writing at all if all you want is the approval of others, but unfortunately this is not the case. To address the question, the fear of negative reviews is specifically tied to the above desire for hugs all around, where even the ugliest girl can find someone to say her eyes are pretty. To be honest, though, negative reviews are borderline impossible to find as the standards are dreadfully low.

Too true.

I gave up on honest critique for some time because fanfic writers have proven time and again that they go postal if you point out even the most insignificant flaw (like spelling errors or a misused word). I had to quit beta-reading for two RL friends because of this, after they had asked me to look over their work.

Edited by Avon

Currently I don't have any stories out, I'm working on a couple one shots, hopefully working up to a full story, but when I post them, if I get any reviews, I'll want them to be negative. Sure, it's good to know people like your work, but that's not important. I believe I have a fairly good handle on the English language in general, but I'm not exactly confidant in my writing abilities. Improving is one of my main motivations, second to creation.

Eh. I don't really think negative reviews are warranted unless the author is specifically requesting feedback. I know when I put a story out there, unless I specifically say otherwise, I'm done with it. It's not like I'm going to be offended if someone tells something they didn't like about it, but... it's slightly frustrating, because I mean, whether or not I agree with the reviewer, I'm probably not going to change it. I like to get other people's opinions on any weaknesses in my stories - but not really once I'm done with them.

I do think it's worth mentioning if there's something outright offensive about the story - like stereotyping of a race or some-such - and the author seems to be unaware of it. (I also think, however, that no malicious intent should be assumed in these cases until proven otherwise.) It also makes sense if the author has made a very serious error with the canon (and hasn't stated that this is an AU or anything) to let them know.

Edited by branewurms

Reviews: A visible reminder that someone noticed you (your writing) exist and cared enough to leave evidence. Let's face it; if someone doesn't care one way or another about a piece of writing, they'll probably not even finish reading it, let alone comment wether it be negative or positive. I know that probably sounds quite stuck up, but in my opinion it's true. People crave reviews because on some level, conscious or otherwise, they want to be acknowleged and I agree with previous replies to this topic; some people really do need to ask a good friend to please lend a hand in pulling their heads from their arses. Hopefully I'm not one of those people. To me, my main reason for wanting reviews for my work is that I don't want to write pure self indulgent drivel, and I would like to be able to feel that something I've created appeals to others. Selfish? More than likely, but again, another hazard of putting yourself out there and inviting critique.

I think that, if the reviews are well written and are both critical and complimentary, as Helluin said, they have a positive effect on my writing and my feeling towards the reviewer. If I recieve a review and it's just negative, I'll tend to ignore it, but if someone leaves a review something like, 'This, This and This could be improved by trying this, and I really liked how you did blah blah blah', I'll feel priviledged that someone chose to leave such a useful review.

as my college composition teacher is constantly ranting: details, details! No, really, getting a review like "I love your work, write more!" is great, but when someone writes "I love 'this particular scene'" it really makes my day. It's nice to know what people like and dislike specifically.

I think everyone pretty much summed it up. For myself I really want reviews, negative is fine because it helps me become a better writer. I used to take critiques personally at one point. Then I realized that those negative comments (the well written ones that point out mistakes and don't say, OMG! you Sux!) really help me improve by pointing out my weak area's.

I have noticed its hard to get reviews here, more from what I've read here on the forums than from my own personnel experience. At the moment I only have a 'one shot' up and have received two reviews, both good........but I know there has to be something wrong in my writing because I'm not that good. In fact the rating is more an indication of peoples thoughts toward my writing style than those reviews.

I want to get better, so please, give me a negative comment if you notice something askew in my writing. :)

As far as what makes people in general "fear" criticism, be it constructive or not, has already been pretty well covered, but I have to say, as much as I like receiving reviews, the one thing that makes me really cringe is when I get a "OMG LAWLZ UR STORY WUZ KEWL" breed of review.

As much as I am glad that they a) took the time to comment, and :( liked my story, I am rarely trying to appeal to the squeeing fangirl demographic, and so when I get that kind of review I can't help but be mildly mortified.

On the other hand, if someone took the time to brutally point out every last misplaced comma and continuity hole in my story, despite the fact that I would initially be no doubt embarrassed and potentially unhappy about this (hell, no one likes to hear they aren't prefect after all)... but in the long run, I would probably read over the review and go, "okay, well I disagree about this part, I can't really change that because it would mess up X, but Y and Z, now there are two things that I could play around with..."

And all in all, have my writing enriched because of it.

In short: if you find my story http://original.adult-fanfiction.org/story.php?no=600098743, please, don't worry about my ego, rip it to shreds!

• 5 weeks later...

I used to be one of those who craved reviews like an addict craved his next hit. I took one constructive criticism so personally that I deleted the entire story which had grown to nearly ten chapters. What I realized later on, and I mean three years later on, was that this person had no personal vendetta against me. They were simply trying to improve my writing skills because they liked the ideas I had, they only had a problem with the method of execution.

That being said, I do treasure reviews. Not the ones who use words so small even a three year old could read them. I usually try to ignore those. What I love, are the reviews that take three paragraphs or more because the person is describing what they liked or did not like about the piece. Then they try to gently correct me on things that I am either not doing or doing too much of.

I will say this, however; kids today learn nothing from the school system. I graduated ten years ago and I learned more writing fan fiction than I ever could have even in my college level English and Literature classes. I credit the constructive criticism for this and years of repetition. Practice truly does make perfect.

As for why I write, it is a combination of things. First, I need to get these down on some kind of medium, and it soon falls into the memory hole in a note book or the pages get lost and forgotten. Posting it on sites like this one allow for my creativity to roam free because of the lack of social taboos that are strictly enforced. This allows for the healthy growth of my own imagination and the creation of what I hope to be great stories.

Now...seeing as the audience on AFF.net is so stingy with their opinions, why not give yours? Be as blunt as you like, I care not. I only wish to improve and one day be published. With original stories, of course.

Lisa

Yeah. When I first started writing I took negative reviews too seriously because my Ego kept telling me that if I was proud enough of a piece to post it on AFF then logically it must be perfect. 100+ reviews later I realize that the more I write and take into account the constructive criticism, the more I grow. I think I have a lovely relationship with my reviewers where I ask questions in snippets in some of my updates and they can respond in their review if they so choose to.

I'm not that big a delusionist to deny that I still crave stats. If I'm not geting five star ratings in my works I assume by default that I didn't do a godo job on them. I also assume that if no one is reviewing my stories then they obviously weren't worth reviewing. I know that these views are skewed and not representative of the absolute truth, but at least for me, they are indicators (along with reviews) of what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong.

Shameless Self ad plug : READ MY FICS, THEY'RE WELL RECIEVED. (especially Tomb Raider non-con)