Click Here!

Need advice

9 hours ago, InvidiaRed said:

Well its even more confusing now cause now.

The MTG  verse is part of the D&D with the addition of Ravnica as a plane.

It sounds like it. I haven't understood much of what has been said. I would love to get back into playing, but all my game buddies have either moved away, or have lost interest in it. On well, it is what it is. 

22 hours ago, Inshadowsidream said:

See, this is something I wouldn't have thought of doing. I came up with the alternative to the floo system, and got as far as thinking on how someone might carry a mirror with them in case they needed to return home in a Muggle environment, but how magic users would make a call among Muggles, never got past phones.

Well just imagine magic users having access to the internet analog while the rest of the mundane world is barely out of the middle ages. :lol:

No wonder regular people think the magic users are crazy or eccentric. When it just turns out they have their own Webspeak(Mirrorspeech) Sorta like how your grand parents don’t really know the internet. But just the entire nonmagical population in general. Now it makes more sense.  Magic users would have their own complete culture to themselves. 

Like  redditors arguing the ethics of using animate dead to create tireless servants.  Or the arguments of Divine vs Arcane…

And then Psionics get involved cause why not.

I now wish I had waited to post anything on the other site. I came across as a fool because I kept running into issues that caused me to rewrite chapters several times. If I had talked to people here first, I could have avoided a lot of hassle. 

Of course, if I would have been able to get my hands a beta, some of the problems could have been avoided. The only one I found willing to take me on, only looked for errors like dropped words or wrong tenses. I need someone that will point out flaws in my logic, and other problems, as well as make suggestions, not just point out misspellings or typos. I am hesitant to look for one here after getting so many rejections on it being slash, and a mesh up/crossover that is by no means Canon.

Maybe I will wait to post it here until I get it completed on the other site, and then rewrite it to include my new ideas on how things work. The more I read what is said here, the sillier it seems to me as it is. You people are smart, lol.

Edited by Inshadowsidream

Food for thought...one problem in a classic fantasy setting is that much of tension is for heroes must prevail since they are the only ones who understand the danger...if they can phone in reinforcement you make it much harder to create tension. Not impossible but quite a lot harder. A bit similar to fact that many movies are set in past to avoid having to explain why the heroes does not just coordinate with their phones when they wonder what the others are doing.

In my fantasy roleplaying game I decided to work around the problem by having flowing water, ley lines and similar phenoms interefere with long range communication, divination etc.  I also included some specific locations where special artifacts of the building size had been set up could overcome the limitations. All in all I think it worked quite well at giving me the option to have long range communication working when required for the narrative, but to avoid it becoming too common.

9 hours ago, Thundercloud said:

Food for thought...one problem in a classic fantasy setting is that much of tension is for heroes must prevail since they are the only ones who understand the danger...if they can phone in reinforcement you make it much harder to create tension. Not impossible but quite a lot harder. A bit similar to fact that many movies are set in past to avoid having to explain why the heroes does not just coordinate with their phones when they wonder what the others are doing.

In my fantasy roleplaying game I decided to work around the problem by having flowing water, ley lines and similar phenoms interefere with long range communication, divination etc.  I also included some specific locations where special artifacts of the building size had been set up could overcome the limitations. All in all I think it worked quite well at giving me the option to have long range communication working when required for the narrative, but to avoid it becoming too common.

<3 see you thought of it and that what is important. As society gets more comfortable long-range comm will make it into fantasy as well. Think like the start of a new age type thing.

There really isn't going to be much of a "calvary" to call in, and if you think about how even now, there are blank spots where you can't get a signal, especially with cheap phones, you have that tension, to a point, already. Throw in that I plan to use lightning beetles to provide the energy to charge phones, and those stations are the only place where a phone or computer can be charged, people will find themselves unable to make calls at times.

Characters facing challenges, and not always being able to get around them, is an mandatory element as far as I am concerned. It gets boring if every obstacle is easy to solve. 

3 hours ago, Inshadowsidream said:

There really isn't going to be much of a "calvary" to call in, and if you think about how even now, there are blank spots where you can't get a signal, especially with cheap phones, you have that tension, to a point, already. Throw in that I plan to use lightning beetles to provide the energy to charge phones, and those stations are the only place where a phone or computer can be charged, people will find themselves unable to make calls at times.

Characters facing challenges, and not always being able to get around them, is an mandatory element as far as I am concerned. It gets boring if every obstacle is easy to solve. 

Absolutely true. But there is an element of horror as well.

It would mean at the basic level an antagonist would target the switchboard operator analog first. The headquarters would have to be heavily defended.( Adventurers heroically holding off the orc army while the operators do their best to call for reinforcements. )

And not to mention now the antagonist now has the means to go after not just you. But your family, your loved ones and your friends. And while your PC can shrug off DC 15 saving throw(such as suggestion.) granny ain’t making it. Especially from something like power word kill through the phone analog.

I.G. (modern threats confronted in a fantasy medium can help people deal with said new threats.)

49 minutes ago, InvidiaRed said:

Absolutely true. But there is an element of horror as well.

It would mean at the basic level an antagonist would target the switchboard operator analog first. The headquarters would have to be heavily defended.( Adventurers heroically holding off the orc army while the operators do their best to call for reinforcements. )

And not to mention now the antagonist now has the means to go after not just you. But your family, your loved ones and your friends. And while your PC can shrug off DC 15 saving throw(such as suggestion.) granny ain’t making it. Especially from something like power word kill through the phone analog.

I.G. (modern threats confronted in a fantasy medium can help people deal with said new threats.)

Oh the imagery this brought to mind. I scared my puppy when I read about granny not making it. I could just see a teen shouting "Yes!" and doing a fist pump when his laptop won the saving throw, and then telling his stricken grandmother, "Sorry, but you should have listened when I told you that leather can't beat chain mail. Maybe if you had put more points in intelligence, instead of pouring it all into charisma, you would have known that with mom being a phone operator, that jerk of an orc was going to come after us. I don't care if you do have have 18 in charisma, you're 80, very wrinkly, smell like Bengay, and have a shitty armor class, of course you were going down! I will come back and bury you after I fry his ugly self with the laser app on my laptop."

20 hours ago, Inshadowsidream said:

Oh the imagery this brought to mind. I scared my puppy when I read about granny not making it. I could just see a teen shouting "Yes!" and doing a fist pump when his laptop won the saving throw, and then telling his stricken grandmother, "Sorry, but you should have listened when I told you that leather can't beat chain mail. Maybe if you had put more points in intelligence, instead of pouring it all into charisma, you would have known that with mom being a phone operator, that jerk of an orc was going to come after us. I don't care if you do have have 18 in charisma, you're 80, very wrinkly, smell like Bengay, and have a shitty armor class, of course you were going down! I will come back and bury you after I fry his ugly self with the laser app on my laptop."

It could also be this.

“Yes, Operator can you connect me to Olenna Penticrest? Why yes I’ll gladly pay the long distance charge. Yes, That is the account I want you to charge it to. Yes, You have a lovely day as well.” One must be nice to the operators only the uncouth could be rude as the common folk. Like that plan wrecker adventurer Taven Clearwater.

The mirror shimmered and a wizened woman appeared dressed the only way a rich dowager could. Her white hair expertly braided and interwoven with satin ribbons.

“Olenna Penticrest?”

“Who is this?” Olenna asked as she peered into her mirror and attempted to squint.

“I merely wanted to congratulate you for raising Taven. Did you hear the news? Taven helped end that dreadful kobold infestation. You did a wonderful job taking in your grandson.”

He gushed awhile on the superb upbringing she provided. He waited patiently watching as the tension in her shoulders dissipated. It was a treat to watch that wizened old face light up in joy.

After all, She was the handmaiden who picked up the baby and ran as the princess was slain in her own rooms.

He so disliked his plans being fucked over by scion of that princess. Ignorant of the dangers that was all around him.

Taven was strong. but were those around him? When one trod on the toes of dragons…  The resulting talons were an inevitability.

He lamented the loss of this mirror but mirrors were replaceable.

“I have intruded upon your time long enough. So I shall take my leave.”

“Die”

The mirror cracked from the sheer force of his magic. The shards flying in all directions. But not before his spell thundered through.

snuffing out her life with a single word. The look of surprise was delightful.  The mirror network had enabled certain possibilities. He had merely discovered the ability the network had to transmit high powered spells… Provided they were vocal. But he was experimenting with the Symbol spells to see if those worked just as well.

He scratched a mark on the wall. There were half a dozen similar marks.

How many connections did Taven have to his mother? One less.

“Servants I require another mirror” They cowardly provided.

Truly, He lamented sending that assassin. He should have gone himself.

Sometimes one had to manually prune withered branches and this was no different. Let Taven have his extraplanar adventure.

There would be no connection anchoring him to this world when he returned.

The dragon smiled.

He’d make sure of that.