Click Here!

How soon is too soon?

One more question and I will leave everyone alone, at least for awhile.

I hate it when characters jump into bed right away, but I hate it just as much when it is dragged out. How do you know when the time is right? 

In my story, I have one character that expects it to happen right away because he is sort of whoring himself. The other isn't opposed to it, but only with someone he doesn't plan to keep around. They will eventually become a couple, but how do I know, for the sake of the story and for readers, when the time is right? 

Like I said, I do not want them to seem as if they are jumping into a relationship too quickly, but I don't want readers to feel as if I am stalling at bringing them together. I have stopped reading stories where it felt as if that were happening.

Ah, you’ve stumbled on to the great mystery of fiction with any relationship, because there is no true answer. It depends on the writer’s intentions and the specific characters. You seem to have already done some thought, and THAT fits these characters, Another story may have a different answer.

Try not to worry about how it will seem to others, the first person you need to please is yourself.  (And a writer can do either extreme if set up right)

Edited by Anesor
typo

On 5/7/2019 at 9:06 AM, Inshadowsidream said:

One more question and I will leave everyone alone, at least for awhile.

I hate it when characters jump into bed right away, but I hate it just as much when it is dragged out. How do you know when the time is right? 

In my story, I have one character that expects it to happen right away because he is sort of whoring himself. The other isn't opposed to it, but only with someone he doesn't plan to keep around. They will eventually become a couple, but how do I know, for the sake of the story and for readers, when the time is right? 

Like I said, I do not want them to seem as if they are jumping into a relationship too quickly, but I don't want readers to feel as if I am stalling at bringing them together. I have stopped reading stories where it felt as if that were happening.

You’ll know. It can be pretty telling that the first scene of a character is them in a sex scene and the purpose of it.

Its kinda like IRL the pacing can be important. Some people click and go straight to the adult fun because they’re comfortable enough with each other to do it. Bonding through pillow talk and the second round.

Others require time and effort. Cultivating the relationship as you would with an exotic flower and hoping desperately you didn't kill the fricking thing with too much water or not enough shade.

There's the romantics who have to do the whole fricking song and dance number.

there's the antiromantics who just look at each other and go “we’re together now.” followed by a “O.k” life continues as normal types.

Let the characters decide when to smoosh naughty bits together.

I believe whole heartedly that true love takes time to foster and develop.  Which is why I write smutfics and not YA.  I don’t got all year to write and you don’t got all day to read, so the sooner the better.  However long it takes to establish setting, character, and motivation.  How long that will take is highly variable but once they’re established, it’s best not to tary long.

Thank you all so much. Your responses made me realize that I had been thinking more in terms of readers, when I should have been thinking solely on what was right for the characters. That was what had been causing my confusion.

The bad thing is, I broke a promise I made to myself without realizing it. I gave up writing years ago because of reviews. I promised myself that this time, I was writing for me, and wasn't going to worry about pleasing readers. It is impossible to please them all, no matter what you write, or how how good you are.

On 5/16/2019 at 10:26 AM, Inshadowsidream said:

Thank you all so much. Your responses made me realize that I had been thinking more in terms of readers, when I should have been thinking solely on what was right for the characters. That was what had been causing my confusion.

The bad thing is, I broke a promise I made to myself without realizing it. I gave up writing years ago because of reviews. I promised myself that this time, I was writing for me, and wasn't going to worry about pleasing readers. It is impossible to please them all, no matter what you write, or how how good you are.

Well said! It’s tragic you were discouraged before, but it’s good to see you’re powering through and coming back to your art. 

It’s great to write for yourself, but don’t be too hard on yourself for keeping your audience in mind too. Of course you can’t please everybody: some people out there will never be pleased no matter what. But you can get to know your particular audience, and what appeals to them so you can have fun playing with their emotions. 

But for the sake of staying on topic… Of course I agree with the people who said it depends on the characters and the situation. I personally don’t mind having chars jump into bed immediately, as long as there’s a damn good reason and it makes sense to the plot. Personally if I have a promiscuous main, I’ll have sex from the start, sometimes even with the main love interest, but if you do that, you need to balance it with a heap of conflict between them to make that initial roll in the proverbial sack interesting. 

Good luck with your story, and don’t hesitate to ask more questions! 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/18/2019 at 12:25 PM, CloverReef said:

Well said! It’s tragic you were discouraged before, but it’s good to see you’re powering through and coming back to your art. 

It’s great to write for yourself, but don’t be too hard on yourself for keeping your audience in mind too. Of course you can’t please everybody: some people out there will never be pleased no matter what. But you can get to know your particular audience, and what appeals to them so you can have fun playing with their emotions. 

But for the sake of staying on topic… Of course I agree with the people who said it depends on the characters and the situation. I personally don’t mind having chars jump into bed immediately, as long as there’s a damn good reason and it makes sense to the plot. Personally if I have a promiscuous main, I’ll have sex from the start, sometimes even with the main love interest, but if you do that, you need to balance it with a heap of conflict between them to make that initial roll in the proverbial sack interesting. 

Good luck with your story, and don’t hesitate to ask more questions! 

What you said makes sense. Characters are people, and people are not the same. I know a couple who started off as a one night stand, and have been together for twenty years. I know another couple that held off for years, and then broke up after having sex. My cousin and his wife rarely argue over anything, and all my neighbors do is argue.

I need to think in terms of what is right for the characters, and not worry about what anyone else has to say. 

Thank you.  :)