Click Here!

Reupload of Original Work

Guest Pen Island

Guest Pen Island

Hi! Just registered on both the archive and the forums. I’ve been writing a fanfiction for ¾ of a year and I’ve been posting it to Archive of Our Own (AO3.) However, I’d like to get as much feedback on it as possible so I sought out other sites to upload the same work to. According to their content guidelines, most don’t want what I’ve got (it’s a sexualized story with explicit depictions of both rape and violent, gory death), but this site appears to be willing to allow it as long as proper tags are used. I’ve been reading content guidelines and the like and several questions have come up. These questions may belong in different parts of the forum, but I thought it would be more efficient to ask all of them here in the general section. If my assumption is flawed, please let me know where these questions should go.

- Is my original idea (posting my work to another site to increase the number of people who see it) actually allowed?

- If it is, do I have to prove that I am the original authour of the work in question over on AO3? If yes, how would I do that?

- There are many tags for works. Do I have to use a specific tag if there is at least one instance of said tag occurring? Or only if said tag is a focus of the work?

I do have other questions, but these three veins of thought are the most pressing (after all, if the answer to question one is NO, then all other questions become irrelevant.) I thank you for whatever time you can spare to answer these questions and I hope to have a positive impact on the site. Have a good day!

Hi, and welcome to AFF!

First question: We have no problem with you crossposting your work to multiple sites, including AO3. Many of our members post elsewhere as well as on AFF.

Second question: If you’re not using the same pen name on other sites as you do here, a quick author’s note at the top of the first chapter, to let readers know you are the same person as your AO3 persona, is generally enough. If someone comes forward at some point and claims to be your other pen name, that would be an issue, but we do have members who use a unique name here to write under, because we host adult content.

Third question: We do ask that tags be used for even a single instance of most things, but we don’t require that certain tags like WIP or Completed be used. It’s been our experience that readers can find any number of things upsetting if they encounter them unwarned, and that’s the purpose of tagging something. We’re particularly vigilant about tags which are very likely to be disturbing: Rape, Minor1/Minor2, Incest, Abuse, et cetera. Those really are trigger issues and we never want readers to walk blindly into that content. If a tag is missing that we feel is required, we do contact you and even if the story is hidden until the tag is added, we don’t summarily delete stories for a missing tag until you’ve had at least 40 days to make the correction from the date of the initial warning. We’re actively moderated, and we aim to response within 24 hours to any inquiry, or email about a correction.

Fell free to ask any questions you have—we’re happy to answer!

Guest Guest Pen Island

Thanks for the feedback! It’s going to take some time to make sure I have all the proper tags for every single instance of any explicit content, but I’m confident I can get this story up once I get used to the formatting of this site.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.