Click Here!

Bug With Reviews

DoctorYnot

I'm not really certain where this should go, but hopefully this subforum is okay!

The thing is, I’m having an issue where I’ve tagged on my story options that I’d like to allow anonymous reviews. Some of them are a few years old and indeed have anon reviews, but relatively recently I received a very sweet review from a user. The issue was that he commented about how he’d registered an account just so he could leave it. After checking it out, it seems like my stories now require an account to leave a review. I checked the story options and anonymous reviews are still enabled.

I’m not certain if this is a bug or simply a sitewide admin decision and the option to enable anonymous reviews just hasn’t been removed yet, but in the case it’s the second, well...I realize it’s very presumptuous of me, but I would really really like to implore the staff to allow anonymous reviews again! I feel like interaction between author and reader is already necessarily lesser on AFF and places like it compared to other more mainstream sites, and I just don’t think it’s wise to add another hurdle someone has to jump through on top of that simply so they can leave their thoughts on a story. A lot of reviews are left on a whim or a passing spasm of energy and forcing someone to register an account before they can do so really reduces the amount of readers that can be bothered.

Now obviously I’m still extremely grateful that a site like AFF exists and I do prefer it over all others, heck, I’ve been visiting since the original ff.net purge from 2001. But this decision in particular just doesn’t seem like a good idea to me. I hope you guys receive my plea with the humility with which it is intended. I just want things to be the best they can.

I remember that it was changed to default not allowing anonymous reviews, and our head admin had to run a query regularly, to allow anonymous reviews. I don’t know if that’s been fixed or not, but my guess is that that’s when it changed on your stories. 

But, our head archive moderator will be on later, and she can answer you better than I can.

Willow Darkling, forum moderator. 

There’ve been a few things since we amended the code to make the site more mobile-user friendly, and not all of them have been as functional as we non-mobile device users would like.

I don’t know if DemonGoddess still needs to runs that daily query or not, but I’ll alert her and see what she can tell us.

Thanks so much for the prompt attention! I’m glad anonymous reviews are still allowed.

3 hours ago, DemonGoddess said:

I’ve been having an issue resetting it to allow them for users.  The default, currently is to not allow them, due to trolls and spammers.  I will TRY to get it to reset for you, and if it works, please let me know.

Thanks again. I just checked while not signed in and anonymous reviews still aren’t allowed on any of my stories.

• 2 months later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.