Click Here!

What am I doing wrong?

Guest Inshadowsidream

Guest Inshadowsidream

I just registered, my email has been verified. However, each time I try to log in, I get send to a page saying I need to update my account. I have followed instructions by clearing my privacy and browser, but I must be doing something wrong as I keep ending up back in the same spot. I can see I am a member, but I am unable to access anything, like my profile for an example. Please help me.

Guest Inshadowsidream

Just forget it, and delete my account. When two days go by and I don't get anything in the way of an answer, not even an "I am sorry, we'll get to you as soon as possible", it's time to go elsewhere. What is the point of having this forum, if you are just going to ignore people?

I had hoped that one of the other archive mods would respond to you, since our head archive mod is on vacation this week, and I don’t know much about how the archive works. 

But try one more time, clear your cache and cookies, close the browser and restart it, then try to log in again, using the login option on the right hand side on the bar of the main page. If you are successfully logged in, then your username should appear in that top bar, either on the left hand or right hand side. 

If this doesn’t work, you can send an email to tos_team@adult-fanfiction.org using the email associated with your archive account and give as much detail as you can about the error. 

And please remember that we are all volunteers here, so RL does often get quite busy.  

Willow Darkling, forum moderator. 

Guest Inshadowsidream

I am glad I decided to check one more time. Thank you for replying. I wasn't upset because of the lack of support. I was a member years ago, until my email got hacked, and trying to prove I was the owner of the account was more than I could deal with at the moment. I knew the staff here was busy, so I wasn't expecting someone to jump right in. I did expect something in the way of a reply to let me know my post had been seen, and the lack of it made me feel as if I was being ignored. That was what upset me.

I will clear everything again, and try logging in. More than likely, I won't be able too. I tried clearing it all several times before breaking down and requesting help. 

You did help by the way, you gave me another course of action to take. Thank you.

Guest Inshadowsidream

I am on a tablet, so maybe that is the trouble. The only log in options I am seeing, is one mid-way down the page, and another that pops up at the bottom when I click on my name in the members list. That one has the option to register, along with a few others. I have no option to log in anywhere at the top of the page. 

I don't know how to take a screenshot, so I can't show you what I am seeing. 

I don’t know what kind of tablet you have, but in general “Login” should be the far right option on the menu that runs along the top of the site. On a phone these menu items appear stacked, so it could be what you’re seeing midway down the page. Does that last menu item still say “Login” or does it say your username?

Edited by CloverReef

Guest Inshadowsidream

It is stacked down the left side. The options start with "Home" and ends with " Log in". When I click it, I see where it asks for my login info, and a few other things that are not active, one is "register". When I try logging in, it seems to back out, returning me to what I believe is the home page or whatever you call the first page on a site.

Okay, well that sounds frustrating as hell. I’m a very recently knighted mod, so there are people more qualified to help, but I’m just going to stick my nose in where it doesn’t belong and try. 

Do you have another device you can try to log in on? Or another browser, like chrome or firefox? Which browser are you currently using? 

You are being amazingly patient. I respect that, thank you. 

If you are unable to log in through any device or browser, my best guess for your next step would be a password reset. 

Edited by CloverReef

Guest Inshadowsidream

I am not so patient, I just like this site. Demongoddess is scary, but she runs a tight ship, and I like that. There is also the fact I have yet to encounter a rude mod. Everyone I have interacted with has been so polite and they at least try to help.

As to what you inquired about. My computer died, my phone doesn't like this site. It turns all the punctuation into those weird symbols, and I have gave up on changing that. I followed the advice I found here and on YouTube, it just doesn't like this site, and makes navigation a nightmare because it also stretches the text out of the box into the brown area, and if I zoom out, I can't read the text at all. It's a cheap phone.

I have Chrome, it came with the tablet. I am sure you more than likely know more about it than I do, but I don't see how a password reset will solve anything. I am not getting an error message. It just behaves as if I am hitting the back button when I try logging in. 

However, when I was checking details for accuracy in my email to the tos team, I noticed that when I click on find a member, and try logging in with the option that pops up there, it tells me that I am not registered at the bottom of the box-which makes no sense to me.

When I check your guest username in the archives, I get this profile: http://members.adult-fanfiction.org/profile.php?no=1296994068 and I’m guessing that’s yours? if so, your new profile does exist. 

But, the problem might be, as you mentioned earlier, your old account. But only our head admin and head mod have access to that information, I think, so we can’t check for you. Do you remember the username that you used for that account? At least then I could check in the members directory to see if that profile still exists or not. 

Guest Inshadowsidream

Willowdarkling--it was so long ago, I am not sure. Back then, I was on a computer, using the name Shadowspale. However, that was also part of my email address, so I am not sure if I used that name, or muchlikeshadows, both of which I checked for, before I registered. Its possible I missed them though, there are a lot of names to scroll through.

CloverReef--I will see if a password reset solves the problem. I had no idea that what browser you used could make such a difference.

Guest Inshadowsidream

You helped, just not in the way you intended. I now know that browsers could be a reason for my not being able to log in. Knowing that, I tried signing into a discussion group I haven't been able to sign into on the tablet, using Chrome. It worked with Firefox. Thank you for teaching me that.

I checked both of those old usernames, and neither one popped up with a profile, so sadly, I think we’re stuck until either our head admin or head mod can take a look. I know that our head mod will be back around the middle of the week from her vacation, so please be patient until then. I’m sorry I couldn’t help much either. 

Unfortunately, in this situation, we’re limited in what we can do.  I’m probably the least tech savvy of us all.  There are issues with using the site on a phone or tablet.  I just don’t know how to work around them.  Please be patient.  Those with the power to set things right will get back to you.

Hi, I’m back, so let’s see what we can do to sort this. We did a big code update to make things more mobile-friendly, and to be honest, I think it made it all somewhat odder.

The other account I could find for you is this one:  http://members.adult-fanfiction.org/profile.php?no=1296875516  They use different email addresses, however, so that wouldn’t create any issues in and of itself.

What we ARE seeing is some sort of issue with password resets. I’m getting complaints from people using Microsoft products: Outlook, Hotmail, Live.com. I’m going to assume this extends to Microsoft’s browsers as well, although IE never played well with anyone, really. Edge is marginally more functional. 

The dropdown menus always offer the option to register, even if you’re logged in. It’s the link to Login/Logout that’s more important, really, and that should appear in the dropdown at the top or bottom of the page. The middle fields exist mostly for account creation, but never go away, which makes it even more confusing. Honestly, if I ever won a large enough lottery, I’d toss buckets of money at our tech admin and coder, and tell them to buy new software—sky’s the limit! But sadly, we’re stuck with tweaking the old thing.

I haven’t tackled the mailbox for the site yet, but I’ll reply there as well.

Guest Inshadowsidream

That is me, I misremembered the exact name. I no longer have access to the email address, thanks to being hacked years ago.

I am glad it's not a matter of the site not getting along with my tablet the way it doesn't get along with my phone, but then its a cheap phone to begin with, and it doesn't get along with other sites, not just this one. 

I will be waiting, this site was the first I ever posted on, now that I can post again, I am excited to return. Thank you.

Guest Inshadowsidream

This is really weird. I decided to try logging into to my old account, so hit log in, and it logged me into my new account. I have access to options I didn't before. (Scratches head)

Guest Inshadowsidream

I have no idea either, I didn't even get to see if I remembered the correct password. Thanks to all of you.  You kept me from tearing out my hair in frustration by trying to help.

Guest Inshadowsidream

I don't know if this made a difference or not, but I did something a bit different this time. After clearing everything, I restarted my tablet. I just thought I would let you know.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.