Click Here!

Exhaustion and Writing

Anesor

Writer Interruptus  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Are you still getting much writing done as the holidays build?

• I don't do much at all, not enough time.
    • I write as much as I ever do, be it a lot or a little.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/02/2019 at 05:01 AM

Dunno about you all, but even aside from the hectic tasks to prepare for the holidays, I’m just tired of writing. I have plenty of things I want or need to be writing (I’m six weeks behind in a writing class) but I can’t seem to concentrate for more than an hour or so on writing. Nodding off  is the first symptom.  I usually get some done on the actual days of the holidays as we just have a quiet meal, our big feast is the 24th and then we relax.

Are you managing to get anything done right now, or are  you in a hiatus?

Is it a particular topic or fandom? My worst block on stories come when I’m trying to force a story and refusing to work on something else. I feel bad for stuck stories, but getting mad makes it worse. Most often I break block by working on a new story, often silly/satire. I have to be careful that these side stories don’t take a life of their own as I have too many active stories.  I get really stuck when I think I SHOULD work on my more meaningful big stories and then I get stuck across the board. My muse just gets bored, frustrated, and doesn’t like being told what it should do by planning.  Right now I’m doing cleanup on all the drafts I did for NaNo and one plot bunny sticking Vader in something like Quantum Leap (no Al) taht is running short and fast.

Write anything, even a blog journal, to get the words moving...

Heh, these were ideas for boredom and block. Exhaustion from NaNo and holidays were part of it for me not lack of ideas. I have files of ideas and inspirations, and about 6 that want attention right now, and an original on hiatus until the new year. (I really don't read outside my current fandom, like I won't touch lotr or any anime)

I had to skip the whole period of that collection was in the works as we had a major illness in the house :(  and what time I had went to a college-level writing class and the anthology I’m in that just released.  Some projects you just have to let pass. I’m trying to wean myself off fanfic into originals for publication, probably my new year's resolution.

Last year I worked during the holidays so I had a terrible writers block. Though I’m not writing nearly as much as I did around Halloween, it’s not for lack of time, and Halloween is special to begin with. I’m drawing a lot more than I have in years and arting in different mediums, though, so I think that still counts as being productive in our world. So I think I’m nicely snug between the two options. 

On 12/22/2018 at 8:09 AM, Anesor said:

Heh, these were ideas for boredom and block. Exhaustion from NaNo and holidays were part of it for me not lack of ideas. I have files of ideas and inspirations, and about 6 that want attention right now, and an original on hiatus until the new year. (I really don't read outside my current fandom, like I won't touch lotr or any anime)

I had to skip the whole period of that collection was in the works as we had a major illness in the house :(  and what time I had went to a college-level writing class and the anthology I’m in that just released.  Some projects you just have to let pass. I’m trying to wean myself off fanfic into originals for publication, probably my new year's resolution.

I thought I was weaned, but then, this one particular fanfic of mine started to protest, and I succumbed, rewriting it now with the aim of completing/finishing it off.  It’s one with a good, strong plot – and I had always had clean/smut editions in mind, so it’s worthy of my time.

3 hours ago, CloverReef said:

Last year I worked during the holidays so I had a terrible writers block. Though I’m not writing nearly as much as I did around Halloween, it’s not for lack of time, and Halloween is special to begin with. I’m drawing a lot more than I have in years and arting in different mediums, though, so I think that still counts as being productive in our world. So I think I’m nicely snug between the two options. 

Halloween writing is enjoyable too simply because villains tend to get away with it too, and readers don’t know if the protagonist is going to win or lose.

10 hours ago, Desiderius Price said:

Halloween writing is enjoyable too simply because villains tend to get away with it too, and readers don’t know if the protagonist is going to win or lose.

Well… now I’m posting a story I wrote last year.

Well, to be honest, I used to write a lot more (ask @CloverReef, she’ll vouch for that…  lol), but in returning to university (and three English classes, because I’m a crazy bastard) and work (because… well, crazy bastard), which is essentially a new job with a different place in the same company (again, crazy...)…  I’ve been finding it harder to write in what amounts to spare time.  Writing at work (at least, writing stuff for here at work) is impossible, especially with fifteen people crowded around and writing some kinky fun time adventures with people not necessarily looking over the shoulder, but still clearly seeing it, just doesn’t work too well…  And essays and research and all that jazz, just drained the writing (lucky to have written anything for the anthologies), so much so that, even with classes being over and finals done, just haven’t been writing.  Albeit, did get some done yesterday and a little today, so…  YAY!  But, stress (not to mention a distinct hate for the season…  thank you, retail…), work, university…  They’ve all played a major factor in a lack of written word…