Click Here!

Anonymous reviews turned off on some domains/stories when should be turned on by choice?

JayDee

Hi there, I just had a look at one of my stories while not logged in and it said you had to be logged in to review this story – I am sure I have always previously had anon reviews allowed (checking previous stories, there’s a buncha anon reviews!). BronxWench mentioned in a thread the other day that she allows anon reviews for her proile also, so I checked one of her stories and it also said you have to be logged in. What’s weird is this isn’t domain wide seemingly –

BW’s Games story – insists you must be logged in

BW’s LOTR story – allows anon reviews

My LOTR story – doesn’t allow anon reviews

I didn’t check all my stories, but couldn’t find one of mine that allowed anon reviews. The only difference with BW’s LOTR story was that it was co-authored.

Has something turned off anon review for everyone for some domains? If so, please can mine be turned back on because a lot of folks don’t like commenting openly on my horrific crimes against humanity. I can do some screencaps if needed? I am using latest version of firefox because Google’s motto changed from “Do no evil” to “HAIL SATAN.”

Just to clarify – I used the BronxWench examples because of the mention in the thread the other day, as it seemed a good bet she was as unaware it’s saying log in requried for at least some users on at least some of her stories as I was! Could do with input from other users who think they have anon reviews active to see what they’re seeing while logged out.

Edit: And FWIW, I’ve checked my archive settings and it says Allow Anonymouse Reviews: Yes

That, uh, that extra E is probably a tech support issue too. Eep.

Edit 2: Have deleted everything in the cache, closed and re-opened and tried again, same deal. Now I gotta go re log into twitter and such :)

Edited by JayDee

And a further note here – sorry still messing about – although alllow anon reviews was already set on Yes for me, I have clicked it again and logged out and now it appears Anon reviews are allowed for my stories. Checked back on BW’s Samahlen – still showing as log in requried. Possibly it has just re-set itself for some users, or something else has happened? Not sure now if it will be working for others for anon reviews on mine, or if it is something I need to select on a daily basis?

I will check in 24 hours and see what is showing then!

I’ve checked and as you say it’s updated and now showing anon reviews allowed on your story Samahlen. I guess this shows the same pattern with the issue as I had. It will be interesting to see if it remained set to anon reviews allowed in 24 or 48 hours for you – I’ll be checking my stories while logged out to see as well. I guess it depends if there was a one off system event that turned them anon reviews for some of us, or if it’s something that keeps happening despite the ‘yes’ setting.

If AFF has lost the anon review settings for many users who haven’t noticed (as I hadn’t!), or is no longer retaining them for long afer clicking, then this could maybe be a reason for review amounts dropping off! I’m sure I used to get more anon than logged in reviews.

Thought I ought to raise it for archive tech support either way. Thank you for your time (and that of any other folks!)

DG hasn’t has to run the script for a while now, not since the more recent code updates. I had some issues with my account recently, which might have resulted in my settings going back to the new account defaults, and it never occurred to me to check the anonymous reviews setting. It read “yes” but wasn’t allowing anon reviews. Selecting “yes”  and updating seems to have set it properly to accept anon reviews.

I wonder if something happened to set the script to off for everyone then, despite showing ‘yes’, and we’re all needing to re-set it? I know I had anon reviews as a yes for a long time, but they were off when I checked before posting this thread and per above I checked for me and for DG’s games story. Hopefully all it needs now then is for us to re-click the yes option to get anon reviews back!

BW’s games story Samahlen is a great story by the way, folks. It’s so good that it got me to buy and try Dragon Age Origins – BronxWench – it looks like your issues have deleted past reviews (including mine!) and also led to some of your reviews on other stories turned to anon? S’a shame, because it had some richly deserved reviews.

Did you have to reload stories? As I say, real shame. I hope you got to keep some/all of the old reviews!

Edited by JayDee

1 minute ago, JayDee said:

I wonder if something happened to set the script to off for everyone then, despite showing ‘yes’, and we’re all needing to re-set it? I know I had anon reviews as a yes for a long time, but they were off when I checked before posting this thread and per above I checked for me and for DG’s games story. Hopefully all it needs now then is for us to re-click the yes option to get anon reviews back!

Given the normal rate of reviews I get, (just about rare to none), I can’t say I would’ve noticed one way or the other.

2 hours ago, JayDee said:

BronxWench – it looks like your issues have deleted past reviews (including mine!) and also led to some of your reviews on other stories turned to anon? S’a shame, because it had some richly deserved reviews.

Did you have to reload stories? As I say, real shame. I hope you got to keep some/all of the old reviews!

Sadly, I lost all my stories and all my reviews. I do have many reviews copied over onto the review replies threads, so that’s good. I also keep several forms of backup for anything I write, so I still have the stories themselves. But my issues shouldn’t be indicative of anything wrong with the site itself. I just think it was a glitch with mine, and now that my anon reviews are working again, we’re all good!

My biggest regret from the snafu is that reviews I’d left over the years are all now marked as from Anon, so I hope those people I reviewed remember that I did love their work.

3 hours ago, BronxWench said:

Sadly, I lost all my stories and all my reviews. I do have many reviews copied over onto the review replies threads, so that’s good. I also keep several forms of backup for anything I write, so I still have the stories themselves. But my issues shouldn’t be indicative of anything wrong with the site itself. I just think it was a glitch with mine, and now that my anon reviews are working again, we’re all good!

My biggest regret from the snafu is that reviews I’d left over the years are all now marked as from Anon, so I hope those people I reviewed remember that I did love their work.

Suppose a good search through the database could at least restore the ones you’ve submitted to other stories – at least the ones to the holiday/halloween oneshots.

3 hours ago, JayDee said:

I think many of the ones I received from you – for which I remain grateful! – I quoted onto the forum too so I’ve got a lot saved :)

It is a shame tho’ but at least you have all of your writing backed up!

This is where I like, really like, the carbon copy to my email inbox, because I don’t like deleting emails, and so any reviews there, get saved.  (I’ve got emails in my archive dating back to … 1996.)

1 minute ago, Desiderius Price said:

Suppose a good search through the database could at least restore the ones you’ve submitted to other stories – at least the ones to the holiday/halloween oneshots.

That’s not a project I’m going to ask our techies to take on. They have far more important work to do, and the reviews are still there. Just anonymous. :)

3 minutes ago, BronxWench said:

That’s not a project I’m going to ask our techies to take on. They have far more important work to do, and the reviews are still there. Just anonymous. :)

Well, depending on how well you liked the review you left, you can now disavow all association with it :)

Just now, Desiderius Price said:

Well, depending on how well you liked the review you left, you can now disavow all association with it :)

I would never disavow a review, but DG doesn’t need any more work for my sake, really.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.