Click Here!

Female warrior classes

So I have an idea for a world that combines world history (pre-gunpowder age), mythology and fantasy (not 100%)

I think I have all the classes for main warrior types, Knights, Samurai, Spartan etc that are 90% male and some that can be either gender, but I would like a few female only class of warrior.

So far I have the Valkyrie, Amazon and Bushi (female Samurai) but I feel that there could be much more. I could just create some off the top of my head, but if anyone has any I could add to my list, it would be really appreciated.

preferably nothing trademarked ^_^

Nordic Shield Maidens. Germanic Hex bearers. Britannic Hand-maidens of Andraste. Chinese Widow Warriors. I mean, if you’re bringing in fantasy and mythology there’s really no limit to what you can do. Most cultures that had female warriors had them fighting alongside men most of the time. Look at the Scythians (AKA. The real Amazons that the Greeks based their myths off of). There wasn’t a lot from history or myth that had female only, and alas most mentions of females fighting in conflict get swept gently under the rug to be ignored for the most part. Sometimes outright denied.

The Amazons though are interesting. You have the Greek mythical versions that fought like Hoplites in modern retellings, but were heavily based off the Horse nomad culture of the Scythians that were more Egalitarian. A culture which bled into nearby Thrace as well, who also had warrior queens. Then there’s the “Libyan Amazons” much later in north Africa. And of course the female warriors in Brazil that attacked explorers, reminded them of old Greek myths, and had them name it the Amazon rainforest/river.

indeed.

traditionally, I would not see many women being the same kind of warrior that men are only because of the difference in our body types with bone structure and musculature giving both genders different abilities “GENERALLY SPEAKING”

standard plate armor is about 80 lbs, give or take. 

I am searching for a class system for female warrior types to give as much diversity as I can, as with magic users its less of a pain to set that up. 

And modern battle kit can be upwards of 80 lbs as well, yet women still wear it. I’ve worn it (Canada has had female infantry since 1989). Let’s not go down that particular route if you actually want to discuss female warriors. Also you’ve been vague on the time period you want to heavily draw from. The “standard plate armour” you spear of wasn’t in use until the later medieval ages as well, yet you were mentioned Spartans and Amazons, who wore much less. “Pre-gunpowder” is a massive stretch of time. Thousands of years. There’s also images and accounts of women wearing chain and plate armour(Joan of Arc is the biggest and most famous one).

So… while maybe not many women may be the same kind of warrior, that can also depend on a society and how much they expect their women to be battle fit. 

So, we can actually have a discussion about female warrior types in a world that clearly isn’t entirely historically accurate. Or we can used tired old arguments that people use to try and convince others that women shouldn’t be able to get into Combat Arms trades in the modern military…

Yes modern weapons and armor 80lbs easy (also Canadian, also tried for military health prevented it)  

Time line is anything pre gunpowder age …..pre 1500’s – 14’00s? and as far back as the Babylonian empire.

The world its self, is more or less taking our WORLD history, twisting it, and our mythology, twisting it and adding in fantasy elements (orcs, elves, etc) 

My Spartans for example would be from ….. spartania instead of sparta. (just an example)

So if I could find a “class” or name used for female warriors that differentiates them male counterparts just like a Spartan and Knight are different because in this world there are many different cultures where it is very Amazon esk, or there are other elements that make the men and women take different military roles (religion) keeping in mind that these are supposed to be ancient culture mentalities in other respects.   

https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5522558337406440746#editor/target=post;postID=7686718755387116722;onPublishedMenu=allposts;onClosedMenu=allposts;postNum=1;src=postname rough version of the world map

Edited by SirGeneralSir

That link wasn’t working.

But look at the Scythians for some inspiration. They inspired the Amazons of Myth (and were called such by the Greeks), and did a lot of cavalry fighting and horseback archery, including the use of the famous Parthian shot. And there were many female warriors among their number. But if your looking for specific names used… you are going to have to make them up, outside maybe some of the ones I dropped earlier. There’s not many female only military units in history. Just a lot of units that had females fighting within them.

https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5522558337406440746#allposts maybe this one will work?

indeed and thats the problem I was facing with finding the classes too. Thought it would be interesting to have “units” here and there that were the different from what the “norm” is/was just like the WW2 red-tail fighter pilots 

It would add more diversity, open doors for conflict of cultures and ideologies, keeping things interesting.

But thank you very much for the information and chat, I just hope it’s enough for what I am trying to do ^_^

Nope, still says my account doesn’t have permission to view that post.

There’s also the Night Witches for WW2 fight pilots. Little more applicable to what yer talking about originally. But the idea could certainly open up some interesting stuff.

humm i find that very odd that it wont let me share my blog page …….. oh well.

Never heard that name for any ww2 pilots, and ww2 is one of my fave subjects.

ive also been looking at derogatory terms/insults for women that might be considered more offensive than “butch” in other languages, something to indicate either strength or something, a kind of play on words if you will.

17 minutes ago, SirGeneralSir said:

ive also been looking at derogatory terms/insults for women that might be considered more offensive than “butch” in other languages, something to indicate either strength or something, a kind of play on words if you will.

Oh, tread carefully there… If I wind up having to field a dozen irate emails about inappropriate content, I will make you edit it out, or take it down. The Naruto subdomain gives me enough headaches with the cuckold/harem crowd.

lol oh this is not part of the Naruto story I have been working on, this is something …… different.

my thougth process would be kind of like how …. black people will call each other or themselves the N word, something to mock (according to some) how it was used as an insult.

just making up a term for this, but if a unit/class of warrior women were called …….. the …….. Iron Wenches ….. (might use that actually) where the term Wench is an insult but its used as a warning of “These bitches will fuck you up” or something.

::snickers::  We wenches will always fuck you up, so I get that. And I doubt you’ll have screaming hordes of wenches descend on you in protest. But certain terms are emotionally fraught, and I am not at my most tactful when I have a review board full of people hurling invective and reporting each other to me. Makes me want to wipe the entire review board for the story in question...and if this is the crossover, you’ll have the Naruto readers peeking in.

19 hours ago, SirGeneralSir said:

humm i find that very odd that it wont let me share my blog page …….. oh well.

Never heard that name for any ww2 pilots, and ww2 is one of my fave subjects.

Heh, I’ll check out the blog tonight when I return home.

The Night Witches were an all female Soviet Fighter and Bomber (of a sorts) squadron. Had shite planes, and used to keep their planes shut off so the Germans wouldn’t hear them coming.

And good luck with the derogatory terms/insults… try not to make it sound too forced just cause you want characters to make fun of other characters.

Always lots of research to go into it. Even for fantasy. But I don’t think a list of insults should really be a high priority. It’s not usually insults that stand out to reader’s unless they seem forced and just bad/cringey.