Click Here!

"This Password Reset is no longer Valid"

Guest lb54

Hello there!

So I get a password reset link on: http://members.adult-fanfiction.org/reset.php

And then I get the email, upon following the link, I’m immediately taken to: http://members.adult-fanfiction.org/reset.php?x=???&y=???

Where the page says "This Password Reset is no longer Valid". Despite just acquiring it.

I anonymized the X and Y URL parameters just in case that had sensitive information.

I can’t, it does not let give me a new password.

I can’t remember my old one, hit “reset password”, and the email only gives me a link. No new password for me to try!

Our link won’t give you a new password. Click the link and you will be brought to a page which will let you create a new password. It must be between 8-12 letters and/or numbers, no special characters permitted, and it is case sensitive.

You can read our FAQ here.

That is the crux of this issue, clicking that link does not bring me to a page for creating a new password.

It instead instantly brings me to an "This Password Reset is no longer Valid" page

I never get a chance to input anything, or reset anything.

That’s quite perplexing. The only thing which comes to mind is perhaps an issue with any retained data.

Sometimes a cookie string or other saved data can get corrupted. We suggest the following to clear any old data: 

Clear your browser’s cache, browsing history, and any old AFF cookies
Close your browser entirely to make sure the data does clear.
Restart your browser, and try the password reset link one more time.

If it was some bad saved data, this should allow AFF to set fresh cookies for you, and allow the password reset link to work properly.

I have attempted the clearing cache method, as well as a different browser, and incognito mode.

Is there a support email I can contact to send more specific account info?

Yes, I am using Hotmail. But also I have copy-pasted the members.adultfanfiction.net link myself, rather than clicking, to prevent any possible linkjacking like what Google does on occasion.

So I am able to get the email fine as well, and get a proper reset link (proper in that it is not obscured, truncated, or otherwise altered).

This article explains how to whitelist our site in Hotmail. It seems Microsoft might be blocking content in our hyperlinks.

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/whitelist-email-sender-3515045

I added adultfan@adult-fanfiction.org to my safe mailer whitelist.

The email came the same as usual, with reset link still taking me to the "This Password Reset is no longer Valid" page directly.

I’ve tried password reset on many different handlers, and not had this issue.  I’ll have manta look at it, because maybe there’s something in the link that shouldn’t be for hotmail?  Hard to say.  I will say that it’s users with hotmail who do seem to have this difficulty, which brings it back to a hotmail specific issue.

Perhaps it is an issue with my specific account? At one point I did have to go through a transfer process when AFF updated and I had an old “legacy” account a few years back.

Is there an email or something where I could send more specific information for troubleshooting?

• 5 months later...
Guest Cruel_Hero
On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 7:48 PM, DemonGoddess said:

I’ve tried password reset on many different handlers, and not had this issue.  I’ll have manta look at it, because maybe there’s something in the link that shouldn’t be for hotmail?  Hard to say.  I will say that it’s users with hotmail who do seem to have this difficulty, which brings it back to a hotmail specific issue.

Hello, I tried to make a new topic but for some reason the submit button wouldn't work. I am having the same exact problem as in this thread. Email deadly_nightshade17@hotmail.com, username Cruel_Hero. I tried all the suggested things here first and it doesn't work still. I was wondering if you ever found a solution?

I had the exact problem and could never find a resolution, had to start a new account instead.

Most likely the problem is Microsofts spyware detection that exist both in Exchange and their online services that will test any links before you see the actual email to verify that it is safe. If the AFF software monitor if the link has been used by if has been downloaded/visited you would end with exactly this kind of error.

Whatever the issue it, it appears to be happening to users who have Hotmail, Outlook, or Live.com email addresses. So far, I’ve not heard of any resolution, other than to reinforce my refusal to trust Microsoft to get anything right these days.

• 4 years later...
Guest KatFurie18

I too have been having this problem. I use yahoo for my email. It is really getting on my nerves now because I have tried everything suggested. I had a legacy account and was able to get in since. But not lately. I just want to sign in and reset the password since I had an account breach on another site. But it's been so long that I've been able to get in that I forget my username i had. Also, I have tried it on both my cell and my chromebook. 

3 minutes ago, Guest KatFurie18 said:

I too have been having this problem. I use yahoo for my email. It is really getting on my nerves now because I have tried everything suggested. I had a legacy account and was able to get in since. But not lately. I just want to sign in and reset the password since I had an account breach on another site. But it's been so long that I've been able to get in that I forget my username i had. Also, I have tried it on both my cell and my chromebook. 

If you email me at tos_team@adult-fanfiction.org from the email address used for the account, I should be able to locate your account, and send you the links necessary to reactivate it and reset the password.

When we sent out the activation emails initially, Yahoo decided we were spamming their clients, and either delayed or completely blocked emails from us. It’s frustrating, but I can see how it can happen, when thousands of emails from one source descend on your clients. But it’s never too late to activate an account, and we’re happy to help!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.