Click Here!

Borrowing Stories and Uploading Onto AFF

Guest Clownrific

Guest Clownrific

Who do we message on fanfiction that we’re borrowing someone else’s story and uploading it onto adult-fanfiction? Does the owner of the story need to message that person that they’re giving their consent?

We don’t allow other people’s work to be posted here on AFF. I have no idea what FFN allows, but we only allow people to post their own work on our site, whether or not the original author gives permission. (If the original author doesn’t, we call that plagiarism, and delete the story and the profile accordingly.)

Maybe the original poster means a story  based on another fanfiction?  I think that means permission, permission, permission, from that author to the AFF indicating it’s authorized.    This is why I can’t bring my main two fanfics here (Harry Potter), because I didn’t ask, however, those stories have been residing nicely on that other website for the past fifteen years – they’re not copies, more of fanfic of fanfic.  [It started so innocently, as a list of suggestions that I was going to naively send tothat author, added a bit of plot to see if the ideas were viable and started realizing that I liked writing; so, I posted it as a fanfic of a fanfic, to that other website; I even have an unfinished sequel to it there.]

Des, I’m still reviewing your unique situation. So far, the original author hasn’t objected to your fanfic of a fanfic, and I intend to reach out to them for additional information before I make a decision.

If the OP wants to clarify, I’m always happy to answer questions. But based on what was written, the implication is that the OP wants to upload a story written by someone else, with permission, from FFN to AFF.

Even with an email from the original author giving consent, AFF’s policy has been to disallow such postings, for a couple of reasons.

First, we are an age restricted site, and we would need to verify the age of the original author as well to ensure the AFF member was not posting for an underage person.

Second, should the original author decide, at some point, to rescind permission, the AFF member would need to remove the story or risk being reported for plagiarism. Plagiarism carries real life consequences, and can affect future employment prospects. 

So, while I respect your inclination to want to look at both sides, in this case, I need the original poster to clarify rather than for me to guess or try to read between the lines. As written in the original post, we would not allow this story to be posted here on AFF.

Edited by BronxWench

50 minutes ago, BronxWench said:

Des, I’m still reviewing your unique situation. So fara, the original author hasn’t objected to your fanfic of a fanfic, and I intend to reach out to them for additional information before I make a decision.

Thanks, was wondering a bit there … until I realized that I gave you links to 680k of my material (not counting the other fanfic’s 297k).  (And that 500k story was trimmed down from around 667k or so during one of my edits/revisions, some of which I intend to restore.)  [I intended my prior post to prod the OP a bit too, as sometimes “copy” can be misunderstood, so I used my example to help clarify.]

Unfortunately, we’ve had people posting stories here that weren’t their own, with and without permission, because they feared FFN would delete them, or because the original author took the story down and they believed that was a mistake. In each instance, the story was deleted and the uploader advised to not do that again. There isn’t a lot of room there for clarification. If you didn’t write it, don’t post it on AFF. 

Guest Clownrific

What I meant was, if say, an author from fanficton allowed me to use their story and upload it onto AFF,  would they need to message one of the admins on fanfiction.net to let them know that they’re giving permission to me to sue their story?

Guest Micerules

What if the stories they got permission to use and was uploaded, contained some parts of the author’s story, while the other parts are parts they added themselves? Or what if they uploaded a part of a story that happened within the author’s story? Like a lemon?

Guest Clownrific
7 minutes ago, Desiderius Price said:

The author is the one who needs to upload their story to AFF.   (If this is a matter of story adoption, that’s a moderator’s call—I’m just a member trying to be helpful.)   Hope that helps.  [I’ll butt out now before BW ropes me into becoming a moderator :) ]

I meant, if the author gives permission to the uploader to use their story, can the uploader upload the story once the author message the AFF admin? 

Translation: If a person wanted to upload the story that they got permission to use from the author, does the author have to message an admin on FFN and let them know that gave their consent to that person?

Guest Mouserules

What if that part contained a lemon that happens between their own characters and/or the author’s characters within the author’s story? Does the author needs to talk to the AFF admin on FFN to let them know that they gave their permission to use their story or the part of their story? 

If you are trying to upload someone else’s stories, this is forbidden.  If you are trying to adopt someone else’s stories, there is a procedure.  Yes, adoption of story requires permissions.  If you are trying to use someone else’s characters, you need permission.  You may NOT upload someone else’s work,  even if permission is granted.  

We are not affiliated with FFN.  

We do not look kindly upon anyone taking stories that do not belong to them and posting them here.

Edited by pittwitch

3 hours ago, Guest Clownrific said:

What I meant was, if say, an author from fanficton allowed me to use their story and upload it onto AFF,  would they need to message one of the admins on fanfiction.net to let them know that they’re giving permission to me to sue their story?

We would not permit the story to be uploaded to AFF by anyone other than the original author. So, no. The admins on FFN have no say in this policy since we are not affiliated with FFN.

3 hours ago, Guest Clownrific said:

I heard that one would need the author to message an admin of their consent to using their story and uploading it onto AFF.

I have no idea where you heard that, but it is not correct.

2 hours ago, Guest Micerules said:

What if the stories they got permission to use and was uploaded, contained some parts of the author’s story, while the other parts are parts they added themselves? Or what if they uploaded a part of a story that happened within the author’s story? Like a lemon?

If the story contains work not written by the person uploading it to AFF, I would need an email from the original author themselves, sent to me here in advance of it being posted to AFF, giving clear permission to use characters and/or content, providing acceptable proof of age, and naming the AFF member who has that permission. If the AFF member uploads a portion of a story written by another author, with no additional content, it will be deleted with or without permission from the original author because it was not written by the AFF member.

2 hours ago, Guest Clownrific said:

I meant, if the author gives permission to the uploader to use their story, can the uploader upload the story once the author message the AFF admin? 

Translation: If a person wanted to upload the story that they got permission to use from the author, does the author have to message an admin on FFN and let them know that gave their consent to that person?

To the first part, no.

To the second part, I really don’t care what the admins on FFN have to say. AFF is not affiliated with FFN, and we make our own rules for our own site as they do for their site.

2 hours ago, Guest Mouserules said:

What if that part contained a lemon that happens between their own characters and/or the author’s characters within the author’s story? Does the author needs to talk to the AFF admin on FFN to let them know that they gave their permission to use their story or the part of their story? 

Again, we require written permission in advance from the original author consenting to the use of their characters, providing acceptable proof of age,  and naming the AFF member who is being given permission to use those characters.

There is NO AFF admin on FFN.

2 hours ago, Desiderius Price said:

The author is the one who needs to upload their story to AFF.   (If this is a matter of story adoption, that’s a moderator’s call—I’m just a member trying to be helpful.)   Hope that helps.  [I’ll butt out now before BW ropes me into becoming a moderator :) ]

@Desiderius Price can rest assured I will not be roping him into anything (other than possibly a Wicker Man). 

5 minutes ago, Guest Clownwrestler said:

What if the person from FFN didn’t have an AFF account? I think they meant not the FFN admins, but the AFF admins who have an account on FFN.

If the person from FFN doesn’t have an AFF account, that doesn’t mean we’d let someone post a story here on their behalf. Either they create an AFF account, or the story isn’t uploaded to our site.

I prefer to receive official AFF business via the email address here: tos_team@adult-fanfiction.org. However, in the event someone doesn’t want to use that email address, I can be reached at FFN, where I maintain a profile. However, I will require, at the very least, an email address from the FFN author even if they choose to contact me via PM there. As I said above, we verify ages whenever a non-AFF writer’s work is used in part here. We are an age-restricted site, after all.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.