Click Here!

Opinions on Duotrope?

Anesor

It looks like it’s an index of markets, and was just mentioned in a new Writer Beware column. (for a market being delisted)  Has anyone used it? Is it worth the time? They do have school memberships. But for me, the modest cost is still a sizable piece and would have to wait for the holidays.  I will admit I’d been considering No Man’s Sky for my big gift…

But if the magazine is useful to a real person (a shock perhaps, but a writer who hangs out here qualifies) I’m more likely to give it a try. Thnx

It looks primarily useful if you’re submitting magazine pieces or shorter fiction, from what I can see. I think, unless you’re submitting dozens of articles and short fiction monthly, following them on Twitter is probably a better plan than paying for a membership. A 7-day free trial isn’t enough time to properly evaluate their services, in my opinion, and while $5/month or $50/year isn’t a lot, it’s significant if you can’t deduct it as a business expense.

For me, since I write mostly longer fiction. I’m not sure I need a service to help me track submissions or check on open calls. If that ever changes, though, they do seem reputable.