C107galaxytachyon

body swap ideas, discussion and rec.

This is the thread for talking about body swaps in fiction, media, and your brainspace. Also, if anyone’s interested in writing stories on the subject, please let me know. I’d be very interested in seeing what you’d come up with.

Edited by C107galaxytachyon

Honestly, this led to a flashback to a Star Trek (TOS) episode where Kirk’s ex-lover swaps bodies with him. It was awful even by the standards of when it aired… and I say this as a devoted fan of the Star Trek ‘verse. :D

I can think of a few body-swaps that I’ve liked:

--On Justice League Unlimited, there’s an episode in which Lex Luthor accidentally switches bodies with the Flash. I liked this one because they didn’t use the usual cartoon trick of switching the characters’ voices. And there was the great moment when Luthor-as-Flash ducks into a men’s room, stands in front of the mirror, and says, “At least I can learn the Flash’s secret identity!” Then he pulls back the Flash’s cowl, looks at his reflection, and says, “I have no idea who this is.”

--Dipper and Mabel’s body-swap in the “Carpet Diem” episode of Gravity Falls. I love their initial reaction to the switch: running around screaming, punching themselves in the stomach, trying to make themselves vomit, anything to get out of their twin’s body and back into their own.

--Buffy and Faith on BtVS. It was great watching SMG and Eliza Dushku play each other’s characters.

I still say the dodgiest original series episode was Spock’s Brain. They didn’t even muss up his hairline!

I liked Buffy / Faith, was a good one.

There’s been a few movies, of course. As a long time Jamie Lee Curtis fan I liked the 2003 Freaky Friday, which has a few other versions.

My absolute favorite body swap was Rimmer and Lister in the Red Dwarf episode Body Swap.

LISTER (in Rimmer’s body): You've lost me arm.

RIMMER (in Lister’s body): I've lost your watch too.

LISTER (in Rimmer’s body): You Bastard!

RIMMER (in Lister’s body): No, you're right. It's my fault. My hands are up ... well, my hand is up.

Further to the original post edit re: stories on the subject

Has anyone ever done a story where Identical Twins with same clothing/hair styled same way etc get body swapped? If not, BAM! original idea right there for usage. I call it “How the writer can confuse theirself almost as much as the reader.”

I liked the freaky friday movies when I was a kid. It had nothing to do with the body swap, though. I grew up in the late nineties so that shiny, colourful, plastic movie aesthetic drew me in like a moth to the flame. I think the only body swap thing that I enjoyed was an episode of Family guy. The big adult serious shows I favour don’t tend to do that… but it would be frigging original if they did lol, on like breaking bad or game of thrones? Cercei and Tyrion! 

1 hour ago, JayDee said:

Has anyone ever done a story where Identical Twins with same clothing/hair styled same way etc get body swapped? If not, BAM! original idea right there for usage. I call it “How the writer can confuse theirself almost as much as the reader.”

One could do that in a Potter fanfic with Fred and George Weasley, maybe even a WWW product?   … likely already have.

As to twins switching places, that’s pretty much a staple (ie, Parent Trap).

Oh yeah, twins swapping places has been around for thousands of years. But actual full on body swap? Say Fred and George body swapped just before the big ol’ death scene… you could get thousands of pages of review whore even more than usual survivors guilt angst from that.

Well, I consider swaps like that to be more a missed opportunity than anything else. In my opinion, the best ways its been used have been with wildly different pairings, either by body structure (Ripley and Queen), superpowers (Starfire and Raven), or gender: preferably all 3, if do-able.

Topic refocus

Well, yeah, sure I did! 

Thing is gender swap isn’t really relevent because they’re both female, and training to drive a loader isn’t a power the same way as the Queen’s strength is, but it’s info and skills held in Ellen’s mind which by that point is over in the big ol’ Xeno so an all three swap still leaves Queenie at a disadvantage. I mean, say Queen was actually male but it’s like a seahorse thing and she has the babies. So suddenly she’s in Ripley’s body and missing her junk – maybe already left the ovipositor behind, and she’s got a loader she doesn’t have a fucking clue how to even to put into gear to fight with. Meanwhile, Ripley’s suddenly got a basically bipedal form that can rip steel without too much hassle, and can safely ignore the brand new penis unless she suddenly finds a pile of snow to write her name in, because her aim is still to fuck the Queen’s shit up and save Newt.

End result: Ripley in Queen’s body 1 – Queen in Ripley’s body 0.

And then no matter what happens the next movie fucks it all over anyway. “Yeah, no, we don’t need Newt and Hicks. We got fuckin’ Paul McGann and Charles S. Dutton here!” But that’s off topic really.

Now, a Jonesy x Ripley body swap that woulda been something. Beat the Queen and then play with it for a bit before throwing it outa the airlock.

With regard to various comments made so far:

--If Ripley were in the Queen’s body, she might be handicapped by not wanting to damage her own body before she can get back into it. The Queen, on the other hand, would probably have no such compunction. 

--What would be the point of having Fred and George Weasley swap bodies? Their personalities are as identical as their faces. And would even they notice the difference? (“Hmmm, did I always have this mole on my chest?”)

--Even if the identical twins were to have very different personalities (eg, Lola and Lana from The Loud House), what difference would swapping bodies make? They could just switch clothes and effectively be themselves again.  

--I remember seeing the original Freaky Friday as a kid. Then I read the book, which I liked better. (My favorite part was when the MC finds out the truth about her neighbor-friend Boris’ name, which didn’t make it into the movie IIRC.)

--Now I’m imagining a scenario in which a boy and girl have just accidentally swapped bodies. The boy (in the girl’s body) says, “Um, I have to go to the bathroom,” to which the girl (in the boy’s body) replies, “Don’t you dare!” Or maybe “Okay, but don’t forget we do everything sitting down!“

Thank you! It's nice to finally hear feedback from someone who 'gets it'. Body swaps are always best done between characters as different as possible, just because the ensuing awkwardness is always so amusing to me. Or maybe I'm just delusional: who knows?

I really wish most writers weren't so prudish as to just glance over things like 'gender issues', and 'personal habits'. While I don't expect things like the restroom and bathing to go into extensive detail every single time, I'd don't think it'd be unreasonable to expect just one of each to get the care and attention they rightfully deserve.

6 hours ago, C107galaxytachyon said:

My response was referring to the post from 7 hours ago, not the most recent one.

Ahh, I see. It wasn’t clear to me that this was the case, but that’s surely down to me. To answer the response in relation to the earlier post – Yes? I think so? That’s why I suggested a possibly unused version of the existing trope for twins! Unless it was a post seven hours before in another thread in which case I must confess I don’t read everything posted to the forum. I’d have to turn that one over to Desiderius.

6 hours ago, GeorgeGlass said:

With regard to various comments made so far:

--If Ripley were in the Queen’s body, she might be handicapped by not wanting to damage her own body before she can get back into it. The Queen, on the other hand, would probably have no such compunction. 

--What would be the point of having Fred and George Weasley swap bodies? Their personalities are as identical as their faces. And would even they notice the difference? (“Hmmm, did I always have this mole on my chest?”)

--Even if the identical twins were to have very different personalities (eg, Lola and Lana from The Loud House), what difference would swapping bodies make? They could just switch clothes and effectively be themselves again.  

--I remember seeing the original Freaky Friday as a kid. Then I read the book, which I liked better. (My favorite part was when the MC finds out the truth about her neighbor-friend Boris’ name, which didn’t make it into the movie IIRC.)

--Now I’m imagining a scenario in which a boy and girl have just accidentally swapped bodies. The boy (in the girl’s body) says, “Um, I have to go to the bathroom,” to which the girl (in the boy’s body) replies, “Don’t you dare!” Or maybe “Okay, but don’t forget we do everything sitting down!“

Even then, all Ripley-in-Queen’s-body needs to do is take a firm grip on her human body and her foe is limited. Queen’s overwhelming drive always appears to be the continuation of her species which she’s probably not able to do if her body is too messed up so there’s got to be some compunction not to fuck her original self up too much there, because she’d only be able to produce one or at most two more aliens in Ripley’s body and that’d need an already laid facehugger too.

I’ve always loved debating about how fictional characters would win in a fight on the internet, but admit I am not very good at it and frankly it’s slightly off topic here so apologies to the OP for bringing it up.

Re identical twins – Existential angst would be the main point. That’s a fetish for some of us. Like I said above, having them swapped before that Death would likely add to survivors guilt of the one who didn’t. Partial avoidance of spoilers on old book there. Also another shock spoiler for people who know the series only through fanfic: Dumbledore isn’t actually evil.

I did like the original Freaky Friday too, but as I noted I have a Jaime Lee thing which started back when I mistook her for… nevermind, which meant I liked 2003 version better. I also didn’t know there was a book! I might have to look for it sometime. I wonder what it is about the trope for the origin of the name Boris on a character? Neil Gaiman had an origin for Boris’ name in Death: The High Cost of Living, too.

Have fun writing your toilet based shenanigans scenario! At least Everybody Poops.

1 hour ago, C107galaxytachyon said:

Thank you! It's nice to finally hear feedback from someone who 'gets it'. Body swaps are always best done between characters as different as possible, just because the ensuing awkwardness is always so amusing to me. Or maybe I'm just delusional: who knows?

I really wish most writers weren't so prudish as to just glance over things like 'gender issues', and 'personal habits'. While I don't expect things like the restroom and bathing to go into extensive detail every single time, I'd don't think it'd be unreasonable to expect just one of each to get the care and attention they rightfully deserve.

I thought I did get it. I think a story where a male character gets a body swap hoping for instant sexy times and instead has menstrual cramps would be hot as fuck. Or just as going into labor a wife slaps a husband with a body swap, “Have fun, Honey! I’m gonna go meet the boys for beer and cigars, swap back later! Dont’ forget the breathing exercise, and remember, if something tears they’ll suture it later!”

Ahh well, always happy to learn. Except, you know, from chick tracts. Good luck with your future fetish endevours and I do apologise if I have taken your topic off topic in some way.

Edited by JayDee

Oh, sorry. It’s just you spent so much of your time focusing on this part of my message, that I honestly thought it was all you bothered to read.

23 hours ago, C107galaxytachyon said:

either by body structure (Ripley and Queen),

11 hours ago, JayDee said:

I did like the original Freaky Friday too, but as I noted I have a Jaime Lee thing which started back when I mistook her for… nevermind, which meant I liked 2003 version better. I also didn’t know there was a book! I might have to look for it sometime. I wonder what it is about the trope for the origin of the name Boris on a character? Neil Gaiman had an origin for Boris’ name in Death: The High Cost of Living, too.

The deal with Boris’ name is that when he first introduces himself to Annabel (I had to use Wikipedia to be reminded of the MC’s name), he has a head cold. So it’s not until close to the end of the book that she finds out that his name is actually Morris, and that he had mispronounced it because he was congested.

I thought I did get it. I think a story where a male character gets a body swap hoping for instant sexy times and instead has menstrual cramps would be hot as fuck. Or just as going into labor a wife slaps a husband with a body swap, “Have fun, Honey! I’m gonna go meet the boys for beer and cigars, swap back later! Dont’ forget the breathing exercise, and remember, if something tears they’ll suture it later!”

Which raises the subject of deliberate body swaps. What if Mom could pay a “professional birther” to handle labor and delivery for her? 

You don’t see too many stories involving people purposely trading bodies. The only one I can think of right now is the Futurama episode in which the professor and Amy switch bodies so that he can be young and fit and she can eat anything she wants.

The Red Dwarf episode I quoted above had two voluntary body swaps in the episode, followed by a third one by force with one party willing and the other not.  The first one was putting a deceased female officer in Lister’s body to stop a ship self destruct, but she was much more concerned about the fact she suddenly had male genitalia than stopping the destruct. Craig Charles with a female voice talking about his genitalia was hot.

I seem to recall a time when Fox News was trying to hire a lot of professional birthers, but I think that was something different. It’s a thought though! Especially as a sort of alternative to surrogate pregnancies. Or to exend it further, professional people to take on the long term healing from other conditions eg broken leg or similar.

Alright, another fun idea -It’s Friday the 13th of July. Jason Vorhees is going after the usual group of considerably-older-looking-than-actual-teenager teenagers and he’s closing in on a drug taking pre-marital sex having blonde cheerleader. Unknown to both of them, the necklace she inherited from her old Irish Grandmother* is magic. Jason’s machete goes up, there’s a flash, and suddenly Jason’s unkillable zombie body has the cheerleader in it, while Jason’s in blondie. Jason’s got a bit of experience at possession but can’t take his own body in a fight without weapons so runs out before the cheerleader can restrain him, even though he’s now in her high heels.

Heading to a cache of weapons to continue killing with, the Jason possessed cheerleader instead runs into a pre-planned rough gangbang with a bunch of guys who think her sudden fighting and reluctance and such is part of the game, while Jason’s body shambles around trying to warn the remainder non gangsex having folks and accidentally killing them off due to the cheerleader inside not realising the strength/clumsiness/rule of comedy horror. She can also have a 1000 words of getting his zombified dick to piss as well. Or maybe jam it up the final girl if that’s the writer’s kind of thing.

*Some of them remember the old feckin’ ways.

Edited by JayDee

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.