Click Here!

Hiccup the Overlord discussion thread

Jwsponky

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Strange_idea said:

At least four generations if we have hiccup be the guy in the first game (three overlords and the baron).

hmmm……okay, true love’s kiss was the thing that broke the spell here and the reason the prince didn;t work in the remake was because it wasn’t deep enough so a one-sided love probably wouldn’t be enough…… okay, can i take this in a new direction by combining this with mine? This is partially because characters need to fail every now and then.

Maleficent has been sending her dreams for years, reading to her, but became convinced it was just a lie she told herself when she found hiccup and focused on him. However, shen she slept she still sent dreams of herself and Hiccup to aurora, allowing a relationship to grow.

alternatively, she found out about aurora while spying on the heroes and found her when oberon did. so she started the plan then. this is the way i’m leaning. in this one, the kiss doesn’t work and a defeated maleficent asks hiccup to bring her back with him. Maleficent tells her the plan and what’s happened while she slept, but can;t kiss her because she feels too guilty and selfish. so instead she kisses her forehead goodnight. That actually works, something she wasn’t expecting. This distracts her enough that mim steals the ‘’titania’ persona and seduces hiccup.

another explanation, aurora’s latent witchcraft let her dream of visions, particularly her mother and the people around her, just filtered through a fairytail motif.

part of this could be that to a degree, maleficent actually raised hiccup based on an imaginary prince her daughter always dreamed up, just with her own twists.

fourth explanation, Maleficent posseses hiccup with his permission to give the kiss, just to make sure. Aurora thinks it’s a prince at first, but recognises her ‘mother’s’ eyes and tone, and is overjoyed

and can we have anna ask how often he does this when he’s out of earshot and….. either zarina or mirage (whoever’s there) how often he does this. actually, she asks toothless.

Anna: he does this a lot?

Toothless: * grin and nod *

Anna: First time he put the girl in distress?

Toothless: *visibly holding in laughter*

funny and helps her fall for him

Four generations is a fair suggestion

You make a good point about the one-sided love not being particularly deep…

Though now I'm struck by the idea 'What if the rest of Aurora's kingdom was under the three good fairies' sleep spell, and when they awaken, princess Aurora, if she had met Philip before the curse took effect, and Queen Leah, who from what I recall of the original film started the trend of Disney queens being able to pass as the princesses' elder sister, are understandably upset that their prince and king are long dead, due in part to Maleficent's actions, leading Maleficent to, part sarcastically part genuinely, offer Hiccup as a replacement for 'the dashing prince and noble king'...

Anna's conversation with Toothless is rather amusing, and you make a good point about Hiccup playing the part of hero more than he lets on or wishes to acknowledge

5 minutes ago, Jwsponky said:

Though now I'm struck by the idea 'What if the rest of Aurora's kingdom was under the three good fairies' sleep spell, and when they awaken, princess Aurora, if she had met Philip before the curse took effect, and Queen Leah, who from what I recall of the original film started the trend of Disney queens being able to pass as the princesses' elder sister, are understandably upset that their prince and king are long dead, due in part to Maleficent's actions, leading Maleficent to, part sarcastically part genuinely, offer Hiccup as a replacement for 'the dashing prince and noble king'...

while we could, there’s three points against it.

First, she only met philip before if we go by maleficent, and even then only once. She likely wouldn’t know him well enough to be fixated on it.

second, Leah is dead in maleficent and it’s uncertain in the first film.

Third, i feel that’s a weaker character direction then the one-on-one with aurora and fallout/rejoining with her mother while being the story’s resident wandering witch. Also i feel that it’s less believable in this case that she’d accept a ‘substitute’ from the woman she blames for her husband’s death. at least with aurora she is capable of seeing maleficent as good and doesn’t loose any long-term relationship partners. Suspension od disbelief only goes so far and abusing it can kill any semblance of character and interest in the story.

also the spell was definitely maleficent’s, the fairies tweaked it but it, and the affect everyone part were hers.

You could still have queen leah though, have her have been sick during the whole thing and sealed off in a side room, but affected by the spell too.  Maleficent/titania and aurora could bond over healing her, which would give her a chance to develop her magics and maleficent to develop her conscience. You’d need a reason she survived while everyone else crumbled to dust over the years though, even if she is in worse shape.

17 minutes ago, Jwsponky said:

Anna's conversation with Toothless is rather amusing, and you make a good point about Hiccup playing the part of hero more than he lets on or wishes to acknowledge

I thought this was a great direction to take the overlord thing. keeps it interesting and believable as hiccup

7 minutes ago, Strange_idea said:

while we could, there’s three points against it.

First, she only met philip before if we go by maleficent, and even then only once. She likely wouldn’t know him well enough to be fixated on it.

second, Leah is dead in maleficent and it’s uncertain in the first film.

Third, i feel that’s a weaker character direction then the one-on-one with aurora and fallout/rejoining with her mother while being the story’s resident wandering witch. Also i feel that it’s less believable in this case that she’d accept a ‘substitute’ from the woman she blames for her husband’s death. at least with aurora she is capable of seeing maleficent as good and doesn’t loose any long-term relationship partners. Suspension od disbelief only goes so far and abusing it can kill any semblance of character and interest in the story.

also the spell was definitely maleficent’s, the fairies tweaked it but it, and the affect everyone part were hers.

You could still have queen leah though, have her have been sick during the whole thing and sealed off in a side room, but affected by the spell too.  Maleficent/titania and aurora could bond over healing her, which would give her a chance to develop her magics and maleficent to develop her conscience. You’d need a reason she survived while everyone else crumbled to dust over the years though, even if she is in worse shape.

9 minutes ago, Strange_idea said:

you could have a joke if she doesn’t appear where hiccup sees a portrait and thinks ‘looks like her sister, probably her mother’

Fair points, though I think the queen does appear in the final scenes of 'Sleeping Beauty' though I think she gets a grand total of one line in the whole film, fearfully asking if Maleficent was offended by not being invited, which at the time the film was set was a fair grievous insult, implying Maleficent wasn't worth the effort of inviting, and in 'Sleeping Beauty' if I recall correctly the Good Fairies were the ones to put the entire kingdom under a sleeping spell, so they'd be there when Aurora woke up, granted said detail was omitted fro 'Maleficent'

That would be a fair gag, and possibly a reason for Hiccup to be attracted to women old enough to be his mother, he doesn't realise their that age at first

1 minute ago, Jwsponky said:

That would be a fair gag, and possibly a reason for Hiccup to be attracted to women old enough to be his mother, he doesn't realise their that age at first

that and he’s been conditioned to not understand that it makes any difference. imagine how he reacts to the aged gothel. and his attempts at apologising or explaining

So, leah or no leah?

1 minute ago, Strange_idea said:

that and he’s been conditioned to not understand that it makes any difference. imagine how he reacts to the aged gothel. and his attempts at apologising or explaining

So, leah or no leah?

That is a fair point as well, though maybe one of the side effects of the Tower Heart is to restore those who're exposed to it to their prime, taking the place of Rapunzel's hair for Gothel?

On the topic of Leah, I am undecided, the idea if including her was just a passing thought and depends on how much of either version of Maleficent I use for the story's version of said character

1 minute ago, Jwsponky said:

That is a fair point as well, though maybe one of the side effects of the Tower Heart is to restore those who're exposed to it to their prime, taking the place of Rapunzel's hair for Gothel?

I thought it’s be funny for him to over-react to her visible age when they first meet given the context and tripping over himself. we could follow it up by her meeting the ‘old’ women and despairing at her visible ageing and jealousy. that could be what they use to convince her to actually sleep with him rather than just use rapunzel as a bargaining chip.

neat idea, we can’t have the tower be too early or have too many non-canon powers right away, but between snow and aurora’s magic keeping them alive, various immortals and rapunzels hair what if the magic and alchemy ADDED that feature to the tower? and channelled it through….. say, wedding rings for the girls?

OH! what if that’s part of what the empire wants, and the girls steals their research to finish the spell?

also i found a name for snow’s potential daughter based on disney film concepts

6 minutes ago, Strange_idea said:

I thought it’s be funny for him to over-react to her visible age when they first meet given the context and tripping over himself. we could follow it up by her meeting the ‘old’ women and despairing at her visible ageing and jealousy. that could be what they use to convince her to actually sleep with him rather than just use rapunzel as a bargaining chip.

neat idea, we can’t have the tower be too early or have too many non-canon powers right away, but between snow and aurora’s magic keeping them alive, various immortals and rapunzels hair what if the magic and alchemy ADDED that feature to the tower? and channelled it through….. say, wedding rings for the girls?

OH! what if that’s part of what the empire wants, and the girls steals their research to finish the spell?

also i found a name for snow’s potential daughter based on disney film concepts

It could be another of those 'being raised as a bastion of evil leaves one with poor people skills' things with Hiccup innocently remarking that Gothel is the first mother he's met that actually looks old enough to have give birth to the teen girl she claims as her daughter.

I admit the possibility of the Tower Heart gaining capabilities had not occurred to me, but the again the games never really explained its capabilities to much beyond it essentially being a super battery…

Proceed with the idea, though a thought has occurred to me... If Snow White was filled with so much light magic, what if close proximity to her caused those who wield dark magic, such as Hiccup, physical pain?

Unless they managed to find someone with even more dark magic in them than Snow has light, then the effect would likely be reversed...

Edited by Jwsponky

Okay, thinking out loud here

Given that snow’s magic would likely be less “smite evil with light” and more “nurture with light” I think it’s be more that her power clears her head and protects from corrupting influences, including his own power.

Hiccup isn’t exactly evil, despite his claims. And there are two ways you could justify this, wither you have to train ‘good’ or ‘light’ magic to hurt evil and snow never bothered past protecting herself

Or, it does happen and she learned to repress it to help reach people better.

actually, let’s go with that. she can repress it, but if her concentration slips it can burn, like if she was helping fay recharge the crystal.

OR, it’s a spell she cast on herself a while back while still afraid of her mother, and when she;s afraid her power protects her from darkness, which is a problem for her, so she has to forcibly relax herself around hiccup and focus on how good a person he is to convince her magic not to do anything. however high stress can make her slip, though she apologises.

you could also use her as a sort of ‘evil radar’ that is pained by malevolent people and can thus detect their presence. The devourer would probably cause her to faint just by being made.

I see her as less ‘on the light side’ as more ‘on good people’s side’ and aware of the difference, so sh tries to avoid doing that.

although before we reveal what she can do we can have her accidentally burn hiccup. ironically she uses the same power to soothe and heal him, seeming to scold herself for it

‘look what you did, now is that any way to treat a friend?’

she’s really talking to her magic

you know what how about this? she burns darkness but can turn it off by reminding herself that there’s good in the person. being SNOW WHITE it’s pretty easy for her to do that.

but stress can cause her to miss the chance to make the reminder

thankfully in most cases the burning actually targets the dark power or trait not the person (unless they’re ‘evil to the core’ so there’s no distinction), taking it away for a bit. but she can leave it be if she catches herself.

remember, she’s been around for quite a while in this

Edited by Strange_idea

18 minutes ago, Strange_idea said:

Okay, thinking out loud here

Given that snow’s magic would likely be less “smite evil with light” and more “nurture with light” I think it’s be more that her power clears her head and protects from corrupting influences, including his own power.

Hiccup isn’t exactly evil, despite his claims. And there are two ways you could justify this, wither you have to train ‘good’ or ‘light’ magic to hurt evil and snow never bothered past protecting herself

Or, it does happen and she learned to repress it to help reach people better.

actually, let’s go with that. she can repress it, but if her concentration slips it can burn, like if she was helping fay recharge the crystal.

OR, it’s a spell she cast on herself a while back while still afraid of her mother, and when she;s afraid her power protects her from darkness, which is a problem for her, so she has to forcibly relax herself around hiccup and focus on how good a person he is to convince her magic not to do anything. however high stress can make her slip, though she apologises.

you could also use her as a sort of ‘evil radar’ that is pained by malevolent people and can thus detect their presence. The devourer would probably cause her to faint just by being made.

I see her as less ‘on the light side’ as more ‘on good people’s side’ and aware of the difference, so sh tries to avoid doing that.

although before we reveal what she can do we can have her accidentally burn hiccup. ironically she uses the same power to soothe and heal him, seeming to scold herself for it

‘look what you did, now is that any way to treat a friend?’

she’s really talking to her magic

14 minutes ago, Strange_idea said:

you know what how about this? she burns darkness but can turn it off by reminding herself that there’s good in the person. being SNOW WHITE it’s pretty easy for her to do that.

but stress can cause her to miss the chance to make the reminder

thankfully in most cases the burning actually targets the dark power or trait not the person (unless they’re ‘evil to the core’ so there’s no distinction), taking it away for a bit. but she can leave it be if she catches herself.

remember, she’s been around for quite a while in this

Those are possibilities, though I had been referring to light and dark less in the 'good and evil' sense, than the 'elemental' sense… 

Though now I'm struck by the idea of Snow being corrupted, similar to Fay in the second game, with all that light being turned to dark making her slightly unstable...

Edited by Jwsponky

As for the tower thing, i mostly saw it as Snow and Aurora meeting up and going to the tower (after the magic cataclysm) to charge the crystal with their own power in an attempt to ‘cure’ it’s corruptive influence and protect the people there, channeling their love for them and want to help into it. the first few times don;t work, but by focusing on their love of hiccup and the ‘dark’ people they now are good (such as maleficent and toothless) the magics cease to fight it almost works, creating a protective spell that keeps the denizens safe but not quite curing it. they consider this an acceptable result. the inside of the crystal has a streak of light lazily floating around in it like arurora borealis or the stars. Later, after rapunzel is brought to the tower and meets the girls and joins in with them, she eventually meets the two and is impressed by what they’re doing. she willingly give them the sundrop to complete the sell, which gives life and rejuvenation to everyone in the kingdom and in hiccup’s extended harem. Like in canon, he mother recognises her anyway. she gets her magic hair back after though, like in her series.

13 minutes ago, Jwsponky said:

Those are possibilities, though I had been referring to light and dark less in the 'good and evil' sense, than the 'elemental' sense… 

Though now I'm struck by the idea of Snow being corrupted, similar to Fay in the second game, with all that light being turned to take making her slightly unstable...

just covering all bases, though i do think snow would be a good exception to the light/dark dichotomy.  think of it this way, she uses light and it does burn darkness but she hates that since she wants to help those people too, so by convinceing her magic their ‘good’ she can make it more complient.

Hmmm.. if we move lightwood up we could get a lot of character moments from snow out of this.

unless… what if she gets the corruption based on the above ‘safety spell’ charge. aurora could step in to save her life and being more ‘netural’ and drained for less time, she isn’t corrupted, and she manages to help snow keep herself, but the corruption is THERE as a voice in her head. that could be the thing that makes her magic hurt hiccup, similar to how the wizard in the first game turned the heroes qualities against them, she never had that problem before and takes up speaking to herself to soothe the corruption, which worries people. it would also give Grimhilde an excuse to have scenes with her daughter, pushing her to give in and be the true evil queen (being unsatisfied with hiccup’s progression). Maybe she forbids snow from going after him before, so the corruption makes her do it out of spite and Grimhilde begins encouraging her since she sees the opportunity. unlike the other suitors, Grimhilde is a corruptive influence that must be overcome not a helping force in winning hiccup’s heart. she ultimately does

I was envisioning her as a kind of light and peace version of the overlord, and this just makes her a better parallel to hiccup.

You could have her bearing it onto herself, begging them not to worry or tell hiccup and Aurura and the others looking for a solution. She powers the crystal in the forest since unlike fay she isn;t weakened by evil presence anymore and because she knows what the price will be then tells hiccup she;s fine afterwards.

two endings, either Grimhilde steals this dark essene of snow white to become a true evil queen (getting younger and more robust in the process) or they manage to use it to fully charge the tower crystal, curing snow and bridging the gap between the two magics and finishing the rejuvenation spell with Rapunzel and hiccup’s help. this could be because Rapunzel’s magic healed her enough to let her think of the idea.

though we would have to rap up the ‘mysterious wanderer’ subplot before we could start this…. actually we could have this be what raps it up, that works too.

my next biggest concern is that this could make fay redundant

2 minutes ago, Strange_idea said:

As for the tower thing, i mostly saw it as Snow and Aurora meeting up and going to the tower (after the magic cataclysm) to charge the crystal with their own power in an attempt to ‘cure’ it’s corruptive influence and protect the people there, channeling their love for them and want to help into it. the first few times don;t work, but by focusing on their love of hiccup and the ‘dark’ people they now are good (such as maleficent and toothless) the magics cease to fight it almost works, creating a protective spell that keeps the denizens safe but not quite curing it. they consider this an acceptable result. the inside of the crystal has a streak of light lazily floating around in it like arurora borealis or the stars. Later, after rapunzel is brought to the tower and meets the girls and joins in with them, she eventually meets the two and is impressed by what they’re doing. she willingly give them the sundrop to complete the sell, which gives life and rejuvenation to everyone in the kingdom and in hiccup’s extended harem. Like in canon, he mother recognises her anyway. she gets her magic hair back after though, like in her series.

just covering all bases, though i do think snow would be a good exception to the light/dark dichotomy.  think of it this way, she uses light and it does burn darkness but she hates that since she wants to help those people too, so by convinceing her magic their ‘good’ she can make it more complient.

Hmmm.. if we move lightwood up we could get a lot of character moments from snow out of this.

unless… what if she gets the corruption based on the above ‘safety spell’ charge. aurora could step in to save her life and being more ‘netural’ and drained for less time, she isn’t corrupted, and she manages to help snow keep herself, but the corruption is THERE as a voice in her head. that could be the thing that makes her magic hurt hiccup, similar to how the wizard in the first game turned the heroes qualities against them, she never had that problem before and takes up speaking to herself to soothe the corruption, which worries people. it would also give Grimhilde an excuse to have scenes with her daughter, pushing her to give in and be the true evil queen (being unsatisfied with hiccup’s progression). Maybe she forbids snow from going after him before, so the corruption makes her do it out of spite and Grimhilde begins encouraging her since she sees the opportunity. unlike the other suitors, Grimhilde is a corruptive influence that must be overcome not a helping force in winning hiccup’s heart. she ultimately does

I was envisioning her as a kind of light and peace version of the overlord, and this just makes her a better parallel to hiccup.

You could have her bearing it onto herself, begging them not to worry or tell hiccup and Aurura and the others looking for a solution. She powers the crystal in the forest since unlike fay she isn;t weakened by evil presence anymore and because she knows what the price will be then tells hiccup she;s fine afterwards.

two endings, either Grimhilde steals this dark essene of snow white to become a true evil queen (getting younger and more robust in the process) or they manage to use it to fully charge the tower crystal, curing snow and bridging the gap between the two magics and finishing the rejuvenation spell with Rapunzel and hiccup’s help. this could be because Rapunzel’s magic healed her enough to let her think of the idea.

though we would have to rap up the ‘mysterious wanderer’ subplot before we could start this…. actually we could have this be what raps it up, that works too.

my next biggest concern is that this could make fay redundant

Fair points and suggestions, though on the topic of Fay a thought has occurred to me…

Given that in my story the Tower Heart does not end up exploding and causing a cataclysm, due to a combination of Hiccup being a mere year or two instead of the over fifteen year gap in the games and the fact that Hiccup left his mistresses the means to defend the domain, and as such the Blasted Wastes where Fay decides to make her final stand was the result of an older magical accident, likely unrelated to the Overlords, what artifact could Fay assume Hiccup is seeking?

hmmmm….. some source of light magic. one that mirror’s the tower’s crystal

or we think of a different conflict for the jungle.

That would work…

Though now I'm struck by the idea of Hiccup genuinely not being aware of any artifacts or Fay's sanctuary being present in the Wastes, merely going there because he found records of Empire troops being deployed there regularly, and thanking Fay for the lead, leaving Fay stunned/confused before offering the truce

or, if he’s there because of Queen idunna getting her memory back, he could just be on the way to take her home and not know about the empire yet. well, not not know, more doesn;t get how big or horrid they are. If we have monsters for atlantica, then we could pass through here to get an idea.

oooh, she could try to warn him about snow

or, if he’s there because of Queen idunna getting her memory back, he could just be on the way to take her home and not know about the empire yet. well, not not know, more doesn;t get how big or horrid they are. If we have monsters for atlantica, then we could pass through here to get an idea.

oooh, she could try to warn him about snow

Hmm, I suppose that could work, though I had intended for this scene to be after Hiccup had already ran Fay out of Nordberg and Everlight Jungle, after Florian had told Hiccup that his harassing of Nordbergian hunters was under Fay's orders, with her preferring the hunters' families potentially starve than any of the 'fluffy animals' be harmed. 

If Hiccup gives his version of how the feud started, Florian would have likely claimed Hiccup attacked unprovoked in his report, I can't see Day being happy...

that works very well, he could even invent some goal for hiccup to be after. the fairies and aurora would probably lend some credence, but snow’s corruption could make her think it’s a ruse. this could clue aurora in on what’s wrong with snow, and fay realises what must have happened when snow saves her life, so she follows snow to help save her and full-fill her quest since she’s got less of a reason to go with hiccup this time.

logically, hiccup is most likely just there to get to the rest of the empire…. OH! and florian sealed off all other routes, this is the only convenient way (on purpose) because lorian wants them to kill each other and he’ll reap the benefits. He merely tells Fay that they come for…. let’s say the light crystal

come to think of it, her knowledge of the crystal would make the spell more plausible

5 minutes ago, Strange_idea said:

that works very well, he could even invent some goal for hiccup to be after. the fairies and aurora would probably lend some credence, but snow’s corruption could make her think it’s a ruse. this could clue aurora in on what’s wrong with snow, and fay realises what must have happened when snow saves her life, so she follows snow to help save her and full-fill her quest since she’s got less of a reason to go with hiccup this time.

logically, hiccup is most likely just there to get to the rest of the empire…. OH! and florian sealed off all other routes, this is the only convenient way (on purpose) because lorian wants them to kill each other and he’ll reap the benefits. He merely tells Fay that they come for…. let’s say the light crystal

come to think of it, her knowledge of the crystal would make the spell more plausible

That would work, though should Hiccup recover the light crystal, what should he do with it? Keep it as a trophy? Put it next to the Tower Heart so it can drain the crystal's magic? ... I'm blanking on a third option... I suppose he could just destroy it but that seems rather wasteful...

Edited by Jwsponky

7 minutes ago, Strange_idea said:

no, aurora claims it for study and they use it to find out how to A) cure snow and B) bridge the two to prevent the magics devouring each other. once successful it is assimilated into the tower heart. or returned. that actually seems more likely

That would work

Changing topics completely, but I've been struck by an idea concerning the 'Whatif Maleficent and Clarion were twins?' idea…

In the films queen Clarion had a love interest named lord Milori, who despite his title was essentially king of the winter fairies the same as Clarion was queen of the warm fairies, but what if in my story Milori was a female, and the third in a set of triplet queens, Clarion queen of the warm fairies, Milori queen of the winter fairies, and Maleficent queen of the dark fairies, who either faded away when Maleficent was banished, went into hiding, or possibly left with her?

If you happen to have a suggestion for a name for female Milori I'd hear it, its just Milori honestly sounds like a girl's name to me...

wait. tying into the dark/light dichotomy, what if malificent and clarion had a positive/negative effect going on, and maleficent’s being happy meant ill fortune for her sister, who’d JUST met the man of her dreams, so she cut all ties to her and cast herself into exile to try and break the effect. except it kinda drove her crazy. both of them, but they can stabilise themselves with the right influences, like the fairies and aurora

however, maleficent avoids the place like the plauge and Clarion misses her sister dearly, but is still furious over breaking her heart for such a stupid plan

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.