Click Here!

Hiccup the Overlord discussion thread

Jwsponky

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Strange_idea said:

I still think it should be toothless, though we coupd have the sorceresses TRY to have it be with a minion up until that point.

A fair suggestion, and again I admitted I was unlikely to use the idea, though your previous comment about Hiccup bonding with the girl gives me another unlikely to be used idea, just musing aloud, what if it was with the Netherghuls, with them justifying it as ‘building trust’ before they go out into the field for the first time, given that they’re his bodyguards/commanders?

3 minutes ago, Strange_idea said:

Also we should probably deacribe the minions as being like a goblin or orc woman. And army of she-hulks would be a bit much. Unless you mean just the 'queens'

Meh, was just using ‘She Hulk’ as short hand for curvy but muscular woman, similar to using the term amazon...

Understood, but they should still at least begin short. Though veteran minions could grow…

Hmmm what if his first time is with toothless? But the sorceresses don't like it so first chance they get (as soon as she 'disappears') they instruct him to sleep with the ghuls. Though I'd be careful to avoid being too much too soon. Maybe they each seduce him mid-campaign?

We need to build up their characters a bit, too

Edited by Strange_idea

9 minutes ago, Strange_idea said:

Understood, but they should still at least begin short. Though veteran minions could grow…

Hmmm what if his first time is with toothless? But the sorceresses don't like it so first chance they get (as soon as she 'disappears') they instruct him to sleep with the ghuls. Though I'd be careful to avoid being too much too soon. Maybe they each seduce him mid-campaign?

We need to build up their characters a bit, too

My plan had for the Minions to start out in their goblin like forms, with Hiccup and Zarina manage to make a potion to make the human sized… maybe 6 feet?.. tall enough to be intimidating, but still a bit shorter than Hiccup’s adult height, which apparently according to Dreamworks is 6’ 2’’...

1 minute ago, Strange_idea said:

That works well. We could have a funny bit where he tries ro get them to speak, thinking they'll be amarter too, but no.

Also, might i suggest two prolouges? One for distant past and one for immediate past?

As is his childhood and the  thr stuff happening just befors the adventure.

I admit I hadn’t considered the possibility of the Minions’ minds not increasing in complexity…

Any particular reason you suggest 2? And what do you exactly mean by ‘distant past’?

I mean that you have a prolouge chqpter setiing up hiccups childhood (and introucing certain other characters) and another closer to before the adventure begins where he finds Zarina and you set up his going out and his first time. That way you get better character pacing amd don't have to rush setting up plots and sub-plots.

7 minutes ago, Strange_idea said:

Were you going to have the minions be smarter? That could also work, but you have to be careful. Too many characters at once can be a problem. Especially if there as hard to tell apart as the minions.

Remember that experiment minion idea? Maybe only mutant minions are 'smart' so to speak.

Meh, not sure if I was going to have Hiccup make them smarter or just have them be smarter than the games indicated from the get go, and it wouldn’t be a great increase, enough to allow them to understand the discipline necessary for formations such as a spear wall…

Changing topics again, but what if in addition to being able to resurrect deceased Minions, the Blues were able to cast healing spells to try and prevent Minions from dying in the first place?

That seems like a good idea, but we should have a light-magic character like aurora tach them

Since they don't show up till after her it makes sense.

Doea the multi-prolouge seem okay?

I do admit that my plan had been for the four original Minion tribes to manage to not get lost in this story, partly due to the Tower Heart picking Hiccup as the new Overlord more or less instantly after the previous one’s body had been slain, forcing him to jump carcass to the Wizard’s… who I just realized I still need a name for… as well as the previous Overlord...

I admit I honestly don’t see much point to it...

10 minutes ago, Strange_idea said:

Also, what if each ghul is an agent for a different sorceress? Easy way ti give them a little more character based on the plots we discussed so far.

That is somewhat the plan I had, with Maleficent, Grimhilde, and Ursula each voting for a different candidate, and Mim, refusing to be a tie breaker, picking a fourth mainly just to amuse herself by being difficult, leading house cat form Mirage to roll her eyes at the resultant bickering and signal ”Who said there can only be one?”

Edited by Jwsponky

Yeah i also was thinking.about the names.

While i understand if you don't want to do that Theres a lot we can do and probably should set up, so this seemed a good way to go without just making it REALLY long. Though we  an do that to. I just want to make sure the pacing is right.

1 minute ago, Jwsponky said:

That is somewhat the plan I had, with Maleficent, Grimhilde, and Ursula each voting for a different candidate, and Mim, refusing to be a tie breaker, picking a fourth mainly just to amuse herself by being difficult, leading house cat form Mirage to role her eyes at the resultant bickering and signal ”Who said there can only be one?

That too but i mostly meant that each one is using the ghul to try and cheat their way to winnning the bet, with each one being loyal to their master and acting as their interaction with the world. E.g ursula's conveys messages to ariel, grimhilde's brutalises dwarfs, Maleficent's guards Aurora's coffin on the way back. they each sneak idunna in to be 'rescued'.

We could also use this to give both them and the sorceresses bonus charactetisation, such as mim's acting as the straight-man to her antics, Grimhilde's repaying her mistreatment by 'forgetting' to tell her about snow or maleficent's observing her character development.

Yeah i also was thinking.about the names.

While i understand if you don't want to do that Theres a lot we can do and probably should set up, so this seemed a good way to go without just making it REALLY long. Though we  an do that to. I just want to make sure the pacing is right.

That too but i mostly meant that each one is using the ghul to try and cheat their way to winnning the bet, with each one being loyal to their master and acting as their interaction with the world. E.g ursula's conveys messages to ariel, grimhilde's brutalises dwarfs, Maleficent's guards Aurora's coffin on the way back. they each sneak idunna in to be 'rescued'.

We could also use this to give both them and the sorceresses bonus charactetisation, such as mim's acting as the straight-man to her antics, Grimhilde's repaying her mistreatment by 'forgetting' to tell her about snow or maleficent's observing her character development.

That is a point I had not considered about the prologue, which I had been planning to do in ‘training montage’ style, a few lines describing an event, then jump to the next…

That is an angle for the Netherghul I admit I had not considered...

While that works, i'd suggest takeing some time to each jump. Still doing a 'montage' but letting each scene play out so that it feels more natural. Plus it'd let us see the growing, changing interactions between hiccup, toothless and his 'mothers'. As well as give a good sense of time for when everything happened. It helps get the characters ready and while i can understand wanting to 'rush into the action' it can help to get us invested in them and understand them, make them more beleivable. Plus it helps set up questions like 'how did he get there' without being too blunt.

There's still not a lot of  character to them this way, i admit, but it's acomfortable medium that helps add to the otherz.

Also, idea. What if each ghul was a commander of a type of minion, and he started out with maybe two of each. That way he isn't too powerful right away.

So long as you don't ocerdo it, stretching out getting to the first time will make it even better. Besides, you don't want to rush character introduction.

Are we still doing the thibg where ariel and young Astrid wander to the tower and meet hiccup (where astrid mentions her lost fiance and thinks he's a ghost)? It'd be a good way to show development and hint at how thinhs are different without him in the latter.

Edited by Strange_idea

14 minutes ago, Strange_idea said:

So long as you don't ocerdo it, stretching out getting to the first time will make it even better. Besides, you don't want to rush character introduction.

Are we still doing the thibg where ariel and young Astrid wander to the tower and meet hiccup (where astrid mentions her lost fiance and thinks he's a ghost)? It'd be a good way to show development and hint at how thinhs are different without him in the latter.

While I admit I don’t know exactly where I’d place the Tower on a map of the world, I don’t would be near enough to Berk for Astrid to stumble upon it...

True enough. Though she could have wandwred off from a viking raid. I dunno.

It might be fun for ariel to show up as a girl swimming around and have hiccup join her, only for him to not realise she was a mwrmaid and forget to get his name. This could be when she first falls for him.

What do you think of the 'minion commander' idea?

2 minutes ago, Strange_idea said:

True enough. Though she could have wandwred off from a viking raid. I dunno.

It might be fun for ariel to show up as a girl swimming around and have hiccup join her, only for him to not realise she was a mwrmaid and forget to get his name. This could be when she first falls for him.

What do you think of the 'minion commander' idea?

The idea of Hiccup encountering Ariel as children has merit, perhaps on a Netherghul supervised field trip?..

It has possibilities, I admit I had planned for Hiccup and the Netherghul to start out being able to command 10 Minions and their Mounts, both the MInions’ and the one they themselves are riding, each, with the number increasing as they collect Minion Totems, with the halflings getting a corresponding increase in numbers to keep things somewhat fair, Hiccup’s forces would have the advantage in equipment and discipline though

That works (both the minion amd ariel thing), but i just had an idea i want to run by you. What if the netherghuls WERE the minion hive 'queens'?. As in part of the ressurection imbunes them with minion qualities to ensure loyalty and give them more power.

They could have to create the minions as extensions of themselves and we could give them minionish qualities or make the minions behave like lesser copies of them. We've got a fire-girl, a strong-girl and a death-girl that would go well with thr greens, and the icy one could be blues before they learned to heal. Plua it helps keep the castle from getting crowded to quickly.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.